http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-05-2011, 12:39

Default Re: Bottle cap experts I need ur help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyshayngirl View Post
Um, don't bake them. You need to keep them level and free from dust and curious little fingers. I put wax paper on my cookie sheet and then stick the pan in the oven overnight. Warn the dh though. I, being a baker, chef, mom, knows what I am doing in the kitchen person, ALWAYS opens the oven door prior to preheating. DH does not. He baked my caps and the fumes were so terrible he had to take all 3 kids, including our 10 week old outside while the house aired out. I have one less cookie sheet now.
Thanks no baking then

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah4185 View Post
Aww ~ thanks!! She is really something! Those 3 girls keep me on my toes.

I don't bake my caps. I just let them dry in the room ~ takes about 24-36 hours to cure completely. I've heard of baking them to get them to set faster. Makes me nervous, though. I'm thinking "fire hazard". Don't know about that for sure, though.

Oh ~ make sure you come back and check your caps at about 1-2 minutes and then again at 10-15 because there are always straggler bubbles that come up. I even check again around 1/2 hour later. If they are big ones (which the later ones are), you can pop them with a pin.

You doing okay?
Thank you again Heather!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 01-05-2011, 01:17

Thanks Heather great tips!!!! I have a quick question. How the heck do you get the image not to smear???? am i applying to much resin??? i have the diamond glaze??? am i supposed to water it down??? I dont sell any caps just make bows for fun for my 2 girls I havent had a successful cap yet so i have to buy them

Thanks Marcie
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27

I tried some yesterday and I have alot of teeny tiny bubbles, like once youmix it and they never went away. Do I have to let the mixture sit awhile before pouring them?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupialr85 View Post
Thanks Heather great tips!!!! I have a quick question. How the heck do you get the image not to smear???? am i applying to much resin??? i have the diamond glaze??? am i supposed to water it down??? I dont sell any caps just make bows for fun for my 2 girls I havent had a successful cap yet so i have to buy them

Thanks Marcie
Heather said that if you print the images in photo paper they wont smear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_hernandez402 View Post
I tried some yesterday and I have alot of teeny tiny bubbles, like once youmix it and they never went away. Do I have to let the mixture sit awhile before pouring them?
Heather also said that she blows the caps with a straw until all the bubbles pop.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:03

Quote:
Hey girlie!! Long time, no talk!

I use ET Lite for my resin. Make sure that it isn't even remotely cool out otherwise it will get this "film" on it once it cures. If it is cool out, put the bottles in a bowl with warm water to warm up the resin and sealer first. That will take care of that.

I have all my images printed at Costco. Definitely need to have them printed on photo paper so the images don't smear.

The images need to have a high resolution otherwise they will be blurry. I make my own images so I can make sure they are clear.

I buy my split rings at Michaels.

I would HIGHLY recommend buying Thermo-Web to attach your images to the cap. I cut my circles out with my circle punch, peel off one side, stick it to the cap, peel off the other side, and stick the image on. I haven't gotten any air bubbles since that sneak out when you aren't looking and ruin your cap.

I use a straw to blow on the cap about 1-2 minutes after I pour the resin to pop the bubbles.

Hope that helps!
You make it sound so easy that I think I can actually do it!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupialr85 View Post

Thanks Marcie
Definitely want to put them on photo paper ~ and not print them yourself unless you have a laser printer. I printed some of my own at first and they smeared like crazy. Now I get them printed and everything is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_hernandez402 View Post
There is always a bunch of little bubbles when you pour it on ~ as in the kind that look like you shook up a bottle of soda. Just let them sit for a minute and blow on them. If they don't disappear when you blow with a straw, I do this. Stand over them, take a deep breath (before you bend over), and blow on them like you are blowing on your hands to warm them up. The heat from your breath should make them disappear. That one always works for me. (Just try to not breathe the fumes ~ they can't be good for you!! )
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac68 View Post
You make it sound so easy that I think I can actually do it!!!
Of course you can!! Don't be surprised, though, if they don't turn out perfect on the first round or two. Took me a few tries to get it right.

Also, make sure to check out my last post. It has a good tip for bubbles that are stubborn to pop ~ HOT BREATH works wonders!!

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:07

Quote:
Of course you can!! Don't be surprised, though, if they don't turn out perfect on the first round or two. Took me a few tries to get it right.

Also, make sure to check out my last post. It has a good tip for bubbles that are stubborn to pop ~ HOT BREATH works wonders!!

Good luck!
Thanks, Heather!! I will definitely give this a try next week!!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:54

Quote:
Definitely want to put them on photo paper ~ and not print them yourself unless you have a laser printer. I printed some of my own at first and they smeared like crazy. Now I get them printed and everything is great.

There is always a bunch of little bubbles when you pour it on ~ as in the kind that look like you shook up a bottle of soda. Just let them sit for a minute and blow on them. If they don't disappear when you blow with a straw, I do this. Stand over them, take a deep breath (before you bend over), and blow on them like you are blowing on your hands to warm them up. The heat from your breath should make them disappear. That one always works for me. (Just try to not breathe the fumes ~ they can't be good for you!! )

I havent printed my own images but i purchased them from someone I think on ebay. They were on photo paper but they got kind of blurry and they bled a little bit : ( I think ill stick to buying caps i usually get them from girls here : ) I guess its a way to support them to ...

Marcie
Old 01-08-2011, 09:37

?? When buying images off etsy is there a certain format you need your file to be? I noticed some people send in a word document. Does that change anything???
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif