printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-29-2010, 11:26

Default Ribbon Combo HELP!!!!

How do you come up with combos for bows??? I get so caught up in picking out different colors/prints to go together and it's frustrating!!!! I spend most of my time trying to decide what "kind" of bow to make than actually making it!!!!! Do you pick a printed ribbon pattern and go from there???? My thing is though, I think well if I do a themed type bow who is gonna want it? I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm lacking inspiration! I've looked through Etsy trying to get ideas, but that gets tiring! I wanna jjust be able to come up with it in my head!!!!!!! Creativity has always been hard for me, because I over think things to much!!!!! Any help or suggestions is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08

Default Re: Ribbon Combo HELP!!!!

Sometimes I look at The Ribbon Retreat ribbon mixes for inspiration. I also look at the children's clothing sections on websites and in stores for cute color combos.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:17

I do the same too....when I go shopping I look at the color combos in the boutiques as well as department stores and take mental notes. I am a big Matilda Jane fan and my dd wears a lot of her clothing so I do mixes with that. You can get on etsy and since so many people buy outfits from there you can find color combos as well. Don't be afraid to come up with your own. Sometimes I throw anything together and then contact a friend of mine that does emboridery and we will come up with something to put on shirt to match the bow.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:20

I do like PP, I look at a lot of my daughters clothes for color combos and at the stores. But I know exactly what you mean. I was sitting down last night trying to make some Valentine bows, and those colors are pretty much all picked out for you. But I wanted to add some dots and different things to it, and it just wouldn't come together. I looked on etsy, searching Valentine bows. I see everyones, but when I go to put mine together, it just doesn't seem to work?!?! I think you're right on the over thinking. Maybe we just need a small break????
Old 12-30-2010, 10:35

In all honesty I ask my husband.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:19

Sometimes I find combining colors to be somewhat frustrating, but I also look at it as a fun challenge lol

I'm not in the bow business, so I pretty much pick and choose what colors I want to work with. The first thing I do is match them to Christine's clothing. After that, I look around me and see what catches my eye. I also search out M2MG ribbon sets.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:52

I pick the printed or dotted ribbon and just go from there. Gymboree always has the cutest color combos. I really only make bows for my DD.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:57

Everybody uses the basic colors for Valentine's Day. Try something different. Throw in a contrasting color like turquoise or something. Find someone that makes polymer centers and have them customize a center with the colors you are using in your bow. The same for bottlecaps.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:41

Im finding I have to be less OCD about colors/patterns matching, and it really works! Sometimes it drives me nuts but others rave over the crazy combinations so I guess they aren't all OCD like me.

The majority of my bows are one patterned ribbon and coordinating solid colors and/or dots. Im really trying to branch out and "let loose" a bit
Old 12-30-2010, 03:09

Maybe you can write a formula for the types of ribbon used. Say, every bow will have a combo of 1 print, 1 stripe, 1 dot, 1 other, and a solid or two. If you can come up with a mix that seems pleasing to your eye, then you can focus on just picking colors.

Girlie Girl Bows used to sell ribbon 'recipe' cards that had instructions on what types of ribbon were used to make specific bows. Really neat idea! Write down your favorite combos on an index card and pop them into a recipe card holder for future reference.
Sponsored Links