http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-30-2010, 03:30

Default Re: Ribbon Combo HELP!!!!

I know this sounds crazy but I work best and find color combos when my area is a mess. I have ribbon every where and it will just hit me!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:38

I match my bows to my daughter's outfits, then just recreate from there.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriHallman View Post
I know this sounds crazy but I work best and find color combos when my area is a mess. I have ribbon every where and it will just hit me!
LoL! I like this approach!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:47

My grandmother is a quilter and said when she gets stumped she goes to her colour wheel! Very old school but she said she will get ideas and inspriation she would never have thought of before

Old 12-31-2010, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriHallman View Post
I do the same Ribbon gets thrown around in the course of working and I notice color combinations when they are next to each other.

I also take note of color combinations (especially at Target since I am there all the time) when I do a quick check of the girls clothing. Gymboree also has adorable color combos too. I look on the Justice website for the older girls and what they are wearing.

Rabom has color combos on their site too. Click on a specific printed ribbon and all the coordinating ribbon will pop up when you do that.

Also...... I find that doing custom bows for friends inspires me a lot. I invite them over at the beginning of the season right after they just purchased new kid clothes and we coordinate ribbons to match outfits. This has helped inspire me a lot, cuz I tend to pick all the same color clothing for my DD's

Last edited by Pirate_Smiles; 12-31-2010 at 05:39.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:37

I'm really into the funky loopy bows right now...and color combo is a big deal with those! I usually pick 1 base ribbon that's a print...for example...a white ribbon with cupcakes...and then I use different ribbons with different textures and colors that all work with the main theme...or I will just say..."hmm I need to make a hot pink rock star bow" and if I do that I choose rock star themed or punky looking printed ribbons that all work good with a base of pink...just have fun and mix it up and match...use outfits or pictures as inspiration

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlitZNGiggleZ
Old 12-31-2010, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashanwrn View Post
How do you come up with combos for bows??? I get so caught up in picking out different colors/prints to go together and it's frustrating!!!! I spend most of my time trying to decide what "kind" of bow to make than actually making it!!!!! Do you pick a printed ribbon pattern and go from there???? My thing is though, I think well if I do a themed type bow who is gonna want it? I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm lacking inspiration! I've looked through Etsy trying to get ideas, but that gets tiring! I wanna jjust be able to come up with it in my head!!!!!!! Creativity has always been hard for me, because I over think things to much!!!!! Any help or suggestions is appreciated!
OMG! I'm the same way. In thinking too much about what colors to use I get anxiety Lol! I would ask my oldest daughter at times or just wait for that it factor to hit me. I was in JC Penny over the Christmas holiday and saw their Catalog. I loved the colors used on the cover and went home and made a bow. It's been my favorite since. I agree with the ladies, throw in a different color with the basics and see what you get or get out the crayons and make sets of colors.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:06

Sometimes I use ribbon scraps and hold them together. I saw mommy-2-4's springtime in Paris line with grey and pink, then saw on Carter's.com the infant girls lines for spring were pink and grey, and purple and grey. I made some korkers in those colors from their inspiration. My daughter wears mostly Carter's so I match their outfits alot.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:00

I struggle with colour combinations alot but when something works and sells well, I usually take a photo of it, print it and put it in a 'look book' photo album.

It helps spark creativity when im struggling and helps with colour combos. I also have an idea's look book photo album of things I've seen that I'd like to attempt to recreate - i just scour etsy or sometimes on here for idea's and things to add to my to do list
Old 01-01-2011, 12:10

Thanks Ladies for all your input!!! I have mainly made bows for my daughter, family and friends, but this New Year I wanna try and expand out!!! I dont have a huge ribbon supply!!! I have mainly the basic colors and some swiss dots! I just bought some V Day and St Pattys Day ribbon, but other than that I have no printed ribbon!!!! Gonna try and get motivated today to make something!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg