Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-30-2010, 06:24

Default Re: small clippies? DO they exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceamama View Post
Probably slightly more, due to the hardware. I think I would probably offer "base bow", "middle bow" and "toppers" that allows them to mix & match for themselves. Base bows could be on alligators OR french clips, middles would probably be on 30MM snaps, and "toppers" on mini alligator clips OR snap clips, depending on the topper. If I did really small bows as toppers, they would easily go on snap clips, for things like bottle caps, it might be easier to use them with mini alligators.
someone that knows! so, excluding bottlecaps . . . one can use snap clips . . . thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
thanks . . . i think i got what you are saying . . . is that the downward curve of the snap clip profile hitting the left & right side of the bow would perhaps make it pop up - right?
I'm probably not the best person to explain this but you need leverage to open and close a snap clip, a "pressure point" for lack of a better term. If you hide the whole clip under something small, especially something hard, then you can't bend and flex it in order to open or close it.

If it were under something large and soft you might be able to. It would be awkward but you might be able to do it. But that's not the question here.

The OP wants something small enough to hide under a center.

I think even something like a mini alli might be problematic. I don't know how you'd get at the hinge end to operate it. And if it's small enough to fit under something like a bottle cap I don't know that the jaws would open wide enough to "clear" the edge of the cap in order to be able to catch onto something.

But I hope the OP gives it a try and reports back because she may find a way to make it work or have a sudden inspiration and think of something else.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
I'm probably not the best person to explain this but you need leverage to open and close a snap clip, a "pressure point" for lack of a better term. If you hide the whole clip under something small, especially something hard, then you can't bend and flex it in order to open or close it.

If it were under something large and soft you might be able to. It would be awkward but you might be able to do it. But that's not the question here.

The OP wants something small enough to hide under a center.

I think even something like a mini alli might be problematic. I don't know how you'd get at the hinge end to operate it. And if it's small enough to fit under something like a bottle cap I don't know that the jaws would open wide enough to "clear" the edge of the cap in order to be able to catch onto something.

But I hope the OP gives it a try and reports back because she may find a way to make it work or have a sudden inspiration and think of something else.
If you glue the flat part of the mini alligator to the bottom of the resin, or a flattened bottle cap, you can "hide" the clip under the embellishment. See the scotty dog I made for an example. The clip virtually disappears under the resin, specially on a black bow.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:05

Quote:
If you glue the flat part of the mini alligator to the bottom of the resin, or a flattened bottle cap, you can "hide" the clip under the embellishment. See the scotty dog I made for an example. The clip virtually disappears under the resin, specially on a black bow.
This is further evidence that I have a very poor grasp of spatial relationships and mechanics.

I'm having a really hard time understanding how you could get at the hinge to operate it.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but how long are the mini allis you use and where do you get them?

ETA: Do you think a mini alli would work on a bottlecap?

Last edited by kelmac; 12-30-2010 at 09:11.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
This is further evidence that I have a very poor grasp of spatial relationships and mechanics.

I'm having a really hard time understanding how you could get at the hinge to operate it.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but how long are the mini allis you use and where do you get them?

ETA: Do you think a mini alli would work on a bottlecap?

Mine are 1 3/8", on the ones I've done so far, I put the clip flat side up. I have no idea how to explain it, but I haven't had any trouble putting them on & off. I pinch the clip open, slide it into the loop on the bow, and release it when I'm putting it on, and then I just slide my finger under neath & squeeze & slide when I need to take it off. No problems for me.

As for using them with bottle caps, let me see....

If you use a flattened cap, it sticks out LESS than 1/4" on either side.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21

Quote:
Quote:
Mine are 1 3/8", on the ones I've done so far, I put the clip flat side up. I have no idea how to explain it, but I haven't had any trouble putting them on & off. I pinch the clip open, slide it into the loop on the bow, and release it when I'm putting it on, and then I just slide my finger under neath & squeeze & slide when I need to take it off. No problems for me.

As for using them with bottle caps, let me see....

If you use a flattened cap, it sticks out LESS than 1/4" on either side.
Ok. I went back and re-read your earlier post and took a closer look at your pictures. I see that just enough of the alli's hinge is accessible from the top to open and close it.

But you were able to minimize the amount showing by gluing the embellishment to the flat side. (Normally the flat side would be down).

I wouldn't have thought to try that but I can see it looks good. That may have a lot to do with the quality of your workmanship.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:12

I bought some nice alligator clips that are itty bitty, nice quality from hair-hardware.com I hope that helps

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlitZNGiggleZ
Old 12-31-2010, 07:14

try the dollar store...look for the mini hair bows and the plastic tiny winy clips are attached to them.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:35

Awhile ago, I got sent a whole pile of barrettes as samples and there was teeny tiny barrettes in there - about an inch long - would they work??
I got them from gracefulribbons.com
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danie_Edwards View Post
I bought some nice alligator clips that are itty bitty, nice quality from hair-hardware.com I hope that helps
Do you remember the item number?
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies