New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-27-2010, 10:11

Default How would a 2" salon clip (actually slightly shorter) look lined with 5/8" ribbon?

The title says it all. I have a ton of ribbon and I'd like to work with what I have. The ribbon that goes with the bottlecap embellishment I'd like to use is 5/8".

Would that throw the proportions out of whack? What if I extended the ribbon beyond the end of the top half of the clip (not the hinge end but the end that slides into the hair)?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2010, 11:24

Default Re: How would a 2" salon clip (actually slightly shorter) look lined with 5/8" ribbon

Try it and show us! That's how all innovations are made, right?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:42

Default Re: How would a 2" salon clip (actually slightly shorter) look lined with 5/8" ribbon

Unfortunately our camera has been acting a little hinky and I'm not exactly a whiz with it.

However, having finally made a couple of Christmas bows with buttons from the Sassy Paci GB I might be at the point where I have to post a couple of pics.

Possibly after I line some clips for them. I was pressed for time so I loosely attached them to some unlined salon clips.

Oh, and an advance word of warning on the Christmas bows. The ribbon pattern is a little busy. (Black scroll work on white satin). I had black velvet french knots all ready to fasten as centers when I made the mistake of showing the rhinestone buttons to DD1 & DD2. Needless to say they insisted on using the buttons instead of the french knots. I would have thought it would be a tacky garish mess but oddly enough it seems to work.

But that may be a matter of opinion. So even once I figure out how to post a pic it may be awhile before I work up the nerve to show these particular bows.

Last edited by kelmac; 12-27-2010 at 11:52.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51

i do some of the snap clips w/the 5/8 ribbon . . . imo it looks better/more substantial depending on the embellishment.

an added bonus is more room to sew on your embellishment!

i can't wait to see your pics!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
i do some of the snap clips w/the 5/8 ribbon . . . imo it looks better/more substantial depending on the embellishment.

an added bonus is more room to sew on your embellishment!

i can't wait to see your pics!
I fell asleep early last night so I didn't have a chance to try and make these. I do have the right 3/8 ribbon for two of the caps so I might start with those and work my way up.

Maybe today, but the girls are on vacation and I'm nervous using the glue gun around them. Not to mention they are like cats; they get right in the middle of whatever I'm trying to do.

What kind of embellishments have you used on a clip with a 5/8ths ribbon? I'm afraid the bottlecap will get lost against that much ribbon.

Thanks for the input.
kel
Old 12-28-2010, 10:41

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but these are bottlecap clippies, made by Raggedy Amy, made with 5/8 ribbon with a 3/8 inch ribbon on top. I ordered some from her awhile ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 108.jpg (49.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-28-2010, 10:58

I have lined clips with 5/8" before, they looked a little funny to me at first, but they all sold really quick.... guess I never did any more after that, probably should have! LOL

Krista
Old 12-28-2010, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess9737 View Post
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but these are bottlecap clippies, made by Raggedy Amy, made with 5/8 ribbon with a 3/8 inch ribbon on top. I ordered some from her awhile ago.
Thanks for the pics.

Those are really helpful. Not just for the reason I was asking about but I now realize the cap doesn't go on the hinged end.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
I have lined clips with 5/8" before, they looked a little funny to me at first, but they all sold really quick.... guess I never did any more after that, probably should have! LOL

Krista
Good to know!!

Do you glue yours on directly to the clip or do you glue the furniture pad felt to the clip first?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:12

I have never put bottle caps on them, just like padded appliques or resins. But, if I were to use a bottlecap I would either:

1. have the padding in place on the cap before I attached it to the clip

OR

2. use a flattened cap

Krista
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg