http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-20-2010, 08:27

Default Re: My First Woven Headband... HELP!

I agree about keeping it tight, your new pic does look better! It will take a headband or three to get it down so give yourself a break! My thumbs always hurt from pulling tight and holding but I do have RA and it affects my fingers/thumbs a lot. Another thing I do is every, say, 6 diamonds I push the braid back into itself (toward the starting point) while holding the headband still. This tends to tighten up some of the gaps between edge diamonds and any gaps where the headband might be peeking through. I also think (imho) that it makes it look fuller, instead of just ribbon against a hard headband, almost looks a little padded, and I have no issues with it shifting. I do sometimes put a dab of hotglue on the inside of the headband about twice while braiding to hold at that point. Make sure you are using good strong clips with teeth, nothing worse than the whole thing shifting and moving when your almost done

Keep going, your doing well! These headbands do take practice, pretty soon you will be doing it without thinking twice!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
I agree about keeping it tight, your new pic does look better! It will take a headband or three to get it down so give yourself a break! My thumbs always hurt from pulling tight and holding but I do have RA and it affects my fingers/thumbs a lot. Another thing I do is every, say, 6 diamonds I push the braid back into itself (toward the starting point) while holding the headband still. This tends to tighten up some of the gaps between edge diamonds and any gaps where the headband might be peeking through. I also think (imho) that it makes it look fuller, instead of just ribbon against a hard headband, almost looks a little padded, and I have no issues with it shifting. I do sometimes put a dab of hotglue on the inside of the headband about twice while braiding to hold at that point. Make sure you are using good strong clips with teeth, nothing worse than the whole thing shifting and moving when your almost done

Keep going, your doing well! These headbands do take practice, pretty soon you will be doing it without thinking twice!
Oh, I'm not even using the clips with teeth... don't have those. Maybe it's about time to invest in some Thanks for the other tips... I'll be trying those tomorrow!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02

Default Re: Bows with the ribbon from the Ribbon Heaven buy

I agree with the pp about the size. It was easier for me to start using the 1/2" ones.
Also, I use double sided tape on the inside of the headband and that helps keep the ribbon tight and in place for me. I don't use clips anymore.
It looks good, though

"We love because he first loved us."
1 John 4:19
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTrends View Post
Oh, I'm not even using the clips with teeth... don't have those. Maybe it's about time to invest in some Thanks for the other tips... I'll be trying those tomorrow!
I got mine off of some daisies I ordered from China I like to put lined clips on everything so I yanked them off and they have worked really well for the headbands!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by njzmom View Post
also - you're making a 1 inch headband? the smaller ones are easier to start with. the graduated headbands are a little trickier. you're doing great.
I'm doing a 1-inch b/c I was so eager to start and that's all Michael's had. I don't know why my 1/2 inch ones are taking soooo long to get to me!!! I absolutely HATE waiting for my packages to come!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:58

Your 2nd attempt looks great to me!

I've also been using a little double sided tape on the inside. It does help it stay in place and nice and flat on the inside.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:17

Thanks for all of your wonderful tips! I love this forum!

Just thought I'd share the 3 headbands I ended up with. For some reason, I cannot get the ends done properly. Anyway, I'd like to cover them with something soft, that wouldn't hurt people behind the ears (I always hated that as a kid). Does anyone have any ideas for that?? Please?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HH-001.jpg (28.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg HH-002.jpg (24.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg HH-003.jpg (31.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-24-2010, 02:19

And also... where can I get 1/4" headbands?? All the places I checked only had 1/2" and 1".

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults