http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-19-2010, 10:13

Default Re: Tutu waist size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbi0120 View Post
i really want to try this! cant wait to see a picture!

Thank you!!!! That is one way I've never tried. One more thing... I'm not sure if my machine just doesn't handle the tulle well bc it is so fine or what..but for some reason when I try to do this with the three pieces of tulle, it doesn't slide right through the machine. In fact it doesn't slide at all, but gets bunched up underneath the foot. Any pointers on how to fix that?
Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2010, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by khofkamp View Post
I will just post here for all!

I cut my strips of tulle about 2.5"-3" longer than need be, so if I am making a 12 inch tutu, I cut them 26.5-27 inches. I layer 3pcs of tulle on top of each other and fold in half. I sew straight across the strip about 1" down from the top.

After I have sewn all the strips, I string all of them onto the elastic, then sew the elastic.

I suppose you could sew them all directly onto the elastic(I dont mean so that they are attached to the elastic, but around the elastic ), but it would get challenging toward the end when the tutu is getting full (this is how I actually tried in the beginning). I could not find a tut. I liked either, so I just took bits and pcs from different ones until I came up with something I liked.

I will edit this in a minute to add a picture, but they look just like the tied ones I think. I tried tying and could not get it to look the way I wanted

that was just a quick guide, if I missed something just let me know

Krista
UGH! I just switched computers and hooked the camera to get pics off of it. They are GONE! So this is the only pic I have right now and it doesnt show the waist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tutu and layered boutique bow.jpg (34.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaforTwoBoutique View Post
Thank you!!!! That is one way I've never tried. One more thing... I'm not sure if my machine just doesn't handle the tulle well bc it is so fine or what..but for some reason when I try to do this with the three pieces of tulle, it doesn't slide right through the machine. In fact it doesn't slide at all, but gets bunched up underneath the foot. Any pointers on how to fix that?
I think it might be your machine? LOL I have never run into that problem!

What if you try starting about and inch in, rather than on the very edge, then just going backwards, then forward again? I dont know if that even makes sense
Old 12-19-2010, 11:59

It does make sense. I will try that. I have had this problem with the sheers I hemmed for our bedroom as well. I do think it is the machine..unfortunately I have a Kenmore...time for an upgrade!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:58

I really need to pull out my sewing machine! So much I want to do!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:09

So I've been making myself CRAZY over tutu sizes since I started making them. I've tried elastic, ribbon, elastic/ribbon. So after ripping my hair out over it I started using the 1.5 crochet headbands. They work GREAT. They fit on babies all the way up to 6yo. I especially like them because they look a little cleaner and you can match them to the tutu. Takes all the guess work out of sizing, a total lifesaver!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg