New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-15-2010, 11:45

Default Heat n' Bond

So I bought a package of heat n bond. And decided to throw away the instructions without reading them. What side do I iron to the ribbon?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 12:33

Default Re: Heat n' Bond

one side has a film on it, that goes on the ribbon. So you would be ironing on the paper. Otherwise, you'll quickly learn from your mistake.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:13

The sticky-bumpy side goes on the ribbon...otherwise you'll glue it to the iron! Still, mistakes happen, so I always keep some Dritz Iron-Off around for the inevitable boo-boo!

Deanna
www.birdsongbows.etsy.com
Old 12-16-2010, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC_Cheer View Post
So I bought a package of heat n bond. And decided to throw away the instructions without reading them. What side do I iron to the ribbon?
WAIT!!
Don't iron yet! If you are trying to bond sequin or other fabric to ribbon, then iron the clear, textured side to the fabric, so you are ironing on the paper side. (for approximately 2-3 seconds-no longer or you'll melt the sequin fabric!) Then use your rotary trimmer to cut the length/width you need. Peel off the paper, and lay the strip fabric side down, shiny up On your ironing board. Carefully place the ribbon on top and iron for 8-10 seconds.
Or...
Some people iron HnB to the fabric, peel the paper off, then iron ribbon on and lastly, rotary cut fabric-bonded-ribbon apart from the remaining fabric.
Whatever works for you!
HTH
Old 12-16-2010, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
WAIT!!
Don't iron yet! If you are trying to bond sequin or other fabric to ribbon, then iron the clear, textured side to the fabric, so you are ironing on the paper side. (for approximately 2-3 seconds-no longer or you'll melt the sequin fabric!) Then use your rotary trimmer to cut the length/width you need. Peel off the paper, and lay the strip fabric side down, shiny up On your ironing board. Carefully place the ribbon on top and iron for 8-10 seconds.
Or...
Some people iron HnB to the fabric, peel the paper off, then iron ribbon on and lastly, rotary cut fabric-bonded-ribbon apart from the remaining fabric.
Whatever works for you!
HTH
What do I do if I want to iron it to the ribbon first?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:30

Quote:
If you were planning on ironing that ribbon to a fabric like sequin, then I'm stumped. I suppose you could iron the fabric while laid on top of the ribbon, as long as there's a pressing cloth between the iron and the sequin. That seems unnecessarily risky to me. The sequin fabric is very easily melted and/or distorted, so the heat from the iron in the same spot more than likely will melt the fabric, especially at the ends.
Maybe some of the others that also make cheer bows can help you put with this one!
Old 12-18-2010, 02:25

Quote:
I iron the ribbon on to the heat n bond first. If making many bows of the same, I will iron many strips of ribbon at a time somewhat close together. Once cooled, I peel away the paper from the ribbons and place the heat n bond side down on to the wrong side of the fabric and iron directly onto the ribbon.

Once everything is ironed down and cooled, I cut out with my rotary cutter. HTH!

Ann
Old 12-19-2010, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
I iron the ribbon on to the heat n bond first. If making many bows of the same, I will iron many strips of ribbon at a time somewhat close together. Once cooled, I peel away the paper from the ribbons and place the heat n bond side down on to the wrong side of the fabric and iron directly onto the ribbon.

Once everything is ironed down and cooled, I cut out with my rotary cutter. HTH!

Ann
What side do you face down on the ribbon?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:30

Quote:
What side do you face down on the ribbon?
I place the heat n bond paperside down on my ironing surface. Then I begin ironing strips of ribbon closely together on to the filmy side. Once all is ironed down securely, I peel all the ribbons away from the paper and you should see the heat n bond now attached to the ribbon.

I then place the heat n bond side down on to the wrong side of the fabric and iron again. Once all is ironed down and cooled. I cut all the ribbons away with a rotary cutter into single ribbon strips. Hope that helps.

Ann
Old 12-19-2010, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
I place the heat n bond paperside down on my ironing surface. Then I begin ironing strips of ribbon closely together on to the filmy side. Once all is ironed down securely, I peel all the ribbons away from the paper and you should see the heat n bond now attached to the ribbon.

I then place the heat n bond side down on to the wrong side of the fabric and iron again. Once all is ironed down and cooled. I cut all the ribbons away with a rotary cutter into single ribbon strips. Hope that helps.

Ann

Thats exactly what I do!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif