http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2010, 06:21
KeriHallman's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 184
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

I have only used gg ribbon. I have had a bad experience with saddle stitch. It completely uncurled in a couple weeks. so only gg for me. I get worried they won't last.
__________________
www.lilbowpeep08.etsy.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

  #32 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:07
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriHallman View Post
I have only used gg ribbon. I have had a bad experience with saddle stitch. It completely uncurled in a couple weeks. so only gg for me. I get worried they won't last.
Keri, do you starch or stiffen your ribbons after you bake them? (asking about the saddle-stitch one). I wonder if that would've made a difference?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2010, 08:00
KeriHallman's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 184
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Maxine I dip my ribbon in starch before putting it on the rod to bake. I don't normally starch after they come out of the oven.
__________________
www.lilbowpeep08.etsy.com
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 12-26-2010, 08:51
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriHallman View Post
Maxine I dip my ribbon in starch before putting it on the rod to bake. I don't normally starch after they come out of the oven.
Thanks Keri I stiffen mine after baking but I haven't had much success with satin ribbon yet
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2010, 08:32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 257
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

I spray the ribbon before baking and then I also spray the finished bow. I've never had a problem with saddle stitch or any other ribbons other than ocassionally sheer ribbons. Sheer ribbons I bake a bit longer now.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlemonsters View Post
I spray the ribbon before baking and then I also spray the finished bow. I've never had a problem with saddle stitch or any other ribbons other than ocassionally sheer ribbons. Sheer ribbons I bake a bit longer now.
With starch or stiffener?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 257
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

I usually use sta flo startch. However when I can't seem to locate my bottle of stay flo (I've been organizing and re-organizing my craft area) I use stiff n stuff on the completed bow.
Another thing I do is wait for the ribbon to completely cool before I take it off the dowel. Usually cause one of the kids wants to unroll it. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Hope that helps someone
Deb
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2010, 01:46
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Once my korkers are finished, I spray stiffener on them. I'm wondering if I should do it before I remove the ribbon from the dowels too
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2010, 06:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,505
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

i was just cleaning out the basement yesterday & came across a box of korkers i made eons ago out of the plastic lacing cord . . .

iirc the only thing i had to do was to make a bigger slit at the end of the dowel & then tie a knot in the cord to keep it on while winding.

also, iirc it's the kind of plastic cording that they used to make the box stitch weaving for keychains.

iirc - i baked them at the same temp/time . . . but they're real springy/keeps their shape.

lol - pls don't ask how long ago i made these = the reason for so many iirc!
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
i was just cleaning out the basement yesterday & came across a box of korkers i made eons ago out of the plastic lacing cord . . .

iirc the only thing i had to do was to make a bigger slit at the end of the dowel & then tie a knot in the cord to keep it on while winding.

also, iirc it's the kind of plastic cording that they used to make the box stitch weaving for keychains.

iirc - i baked them at the same temp/time . . . but they're real springy/keeps their shape.

lol - pls don't ask how long ago i made these = the reason for so many iirc!
Oh pr, I'd love to see some pics please!! I don't recall ever seeing a korker made out of plastic lacing cord
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger