New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2010, 06:13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 868
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Maxine, i had my daughter korker some of the velvet ribbon i got in for some Christmas bows to see if it would work and it does, cute as a button! you just can't leave it in as long! LOL
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2010, 10:47
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvstarz2001 View Post
I just did a search for satin korkers and saw this post..... So, Maxine, what's the verdict?
Thanks so much for asking iluv! I wouldn't say it was a complete success

I tried korking some satin Christmas ribbon and it worked.. ok. But I didn't get that crisp, springy curl that I was hoping for. Then, I korked my "HO HO HO" Christmas ribbon and that was a big fail. The letters were white on red ribbon and they bled. It looks bleh, but I still used it.

I baked everything at 250 degrees for 20 minutes. Maybe my timing and temps were off?


Quote:
Originally Posted by paula123 View Post
Maxine, i had my daughter korker some of the velvet ribbon i got in for some Christmas bows to see if it would work and it does, cute as a button! you just can't leave it in as long! LOL
Hey girl! omg, I bet that looks fabulous! Does it hold its shape? Sounds too cute!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2010, 11:18
EBell1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 381
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

I have used satin ribbon a lot for korkers but I noticed that it works best with the smaller stuff. I'm not sure of the size of my ribbon and dowels but I have made some that are basically mini korkers. Ill share a pic of some recent ones Ive done. I still starch them too just to be safe so they keep their shape. I love the look of satin korkers because they shine and stand out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00316-20101211-1951.jpg (55.5 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2010, 11:23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 475
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

everytime i have used satin ribbon it come unkorked really fast. that was before i starched them so not sure if it would work that way
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2010, 11:27
iluvstarz2001's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,877
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Then, I korked my "HO HO HO" Christmas ribbon and that was a big fail. The letters were white on red ribbon and they bled. It looks bleh, but I still used it.
I have that ribbon too....guess I won't try to kork it. Red is a horrible color to do anything with, really. Pink underwear and all that.........
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvstarz2001 View Post
I have that ribbon too....guess I won't try to kork it. Red is a horrible color to do anything with, really. Pink underwear and all that.........
LoL!

Yeah, it didn't work for me. Not sure why though? Oh well, Christine wore a "pink" HO HO HO korker! lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34
debrat's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hillsborough, NJ
Posts: 1,242
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Thanks for sharing - I have not try to make any yet - but now I will!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2010, 11:36
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrat View Post
Thanks for sharing - I have not try to make any yet - but now I will!!!!
The grosgrain still works the best for me, but the satin seemed to be nice as well (just not as curly for me)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 248
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Any ribbon that is 100% polyester will kork. Not nylon (which will melt) or any natural fiber like cotton. It's the molecules in the poly that heat up and become pliable. When wrapped around a dowel, the warm ribbon reforms to the shape of the dowel. That's why if you wash the bow in cold water, it keeps it's shape but in the dryer the ribbon will flatten back out.

Sorry to get so scientific but I've found customers don't understand why you can wash a korker but not dry it.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:05
Maxine's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,595
Default Re: Other than grosgrain, what ribbon korks well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBowMom View Post
Any ribbon that is 100% polyester will kork. Not nylon (which will melt) or any natural fiber like cotton. It's the molecules in the poly that heat up and become pliable. When wrapped around a dowel, the warm ribbon reforms to the shape of the dowel. That's why if you wash the bow in cold water, it keeps it's shape but in the dryer the ribbon will flatten back out.

Sorry to get so scientific but I've found customers don't understand why you can wash a korker but not dry it.
I'm all for your scientific answer, thanks!! I just wish I had more success
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions


http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger