key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-10-2010, 12:44

Default Plus Size TuTu

So, my hubby ususally does our shows for us since I have to work saturdays and all. He told me a "plus sized" young lady asked about a tutu to wear for her birthday (I don't ask questions, I just make what they ask for lol) She said she would be in contact with us about it, and he told her he'd have to get with me on a price. And for her to call us with her measurements.

So... she actualled called and wants one. And I have NO idea how much to charge her for this tutu because I've never made one this big...

Her measurements are 50in in the waist and she wants it about 15 inches long.

Any ideas????
Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2010, 01:05

Default Re: Plus Size TuTu

Wow! I would have no idea how to price something like that.....I wouldn'te even know how much tulle you would need. You figure with it being 15" that is a lot right there. Idk if you you use a single or double strip when you tie but I made a super duper fluffy one for my 5 yr old. She has a 19.5" waist and it was about 12" long. I tied double strips and I used 75 yrds of tulle! Idk if that gives you any idea or not....sorry I am not much help
Old 12-10-2010, 01:08

oh my. i am wondering where said tutu will be worn...sounds mean but i am curious.

that will be a lot of tulle....$$
Old 12-10-2010, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlee-Ann1622 View Post
Wow! I would have no idea how to price something like that.....I wouldn'te even know how much tulle you would need. You figure with it being 15" that is a lot right there. Idk if you you use a single or double strip when you tie but I made a super duper fluffy one for my 5 yr old. She has a 19.5" waist and it was about 12" long. I tied double strips and I used 75 yrds of tulle! Idk if that gives you any idea or not....sorry I am not much help

I know... I have no idea either. I'm supposed to call her in the next day or so to get a price for her. But i'm totally lost.

Why.... why me? lol
Old 12-10-2010, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
oh my. i am wondering where said tutu will be worn...sounds mean but i am curious.

that will be a lot of tulle....$$

$$$$$ my thoughts exactly....
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35

One of my coworkers made a tutu and shes bigger than 50" in the waist. I think she used 200-300 yards of tulle and it wasn't that full. I would figure about 300 yards of tulle depending on how fluffy she wants it and price it as 4 times your regular price or so, and quote her that. Let her know that it takes a lot more tulle for an adult with width and length so the cost will be higher. Also my coworker didn't take into account her big butt (we are both big girls and make fun of each other all the time, in a friendly matter) and it was wayyy to short in the back. I think 15 inchs might be a little short.

I would go for it! Price it at at least $75 and then you will have the experience under your belt! I think that if we made teen size tutu's that they would really sell at shows and the such, I know when I was a teen I still loved tutus!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdana1105 View Post
One of my coworkers made a tutu and shes bigger than 50" in the waist. I think she used 200-300 yards of tulle and it wasn't that full. I would figure about 300 yards of tulle depending on how fluffy she wants it and price it as 4 times your regular price or so, and quote her that. Let her know that it takes a lot more tulle for an adult with width and length so the cost will be higher. Also my coworker didn't take into account her big butt (we are both big girls and make fun of each other all the time, in a friendly matter) and it was wayyy to short in the back. I think 15 inchs might be a little short.

I would go for it! Price it at at least $75 and then you will have the experience under your belt! I think that if we made teen size tutu's that they would really sell at shows and the such, I know when I was a teen I still loved tutus!

That helped a ton! I'm gonna have to call her myself and talk to her a bit because DH is the one that spoke with her on everything. Because I know the less "fluffy" they are, then the less it is going to stick out. So I was going to try and make it less fluffy, but not thin. IDK! This is nerve wracking. Does anybody know when tulle goes on sale at HL again?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33

I was just there and I know that they have the BIG rolls of Christmas tulle at 5o% off. There is white, red, black, lime green, and shocking pink.I want to say thay are 100yd rolls but I cant remember. HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
That helped a ton! I'm gonna have to call her myself and talk to her a bit because DH is the one that spoke with her on everything. Because I know the less "fluffy" they are, then the less it is going to stick out. So I was going to try and make it less fluffy, but not thin. IDK! This is nerve wracking. Does anybody know when tulle goes on sale at HL again?

Proud Member of the Bow Diamonds!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/BowDiamonds

Wholesale Page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/Serendipi...oriesWholesale
Old 12-10-2010, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
i have no clue about hl but i get mine from www.giftsintl.com it comes pretty quick and it is cheaper than anywhere I have found so it might make your costs lower. HTH good luck!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:14

Since that's about three times the size of a normal tutu, I'd charge no less than three times as much! It would be the same as making three tutus.
Sponsored Links