printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-07-2010, 11:36

Default Seeking advice on pattern and color selection for dressy Christmas outfit bows

As soon as I finish one more scarf for my girls' various teachers (the preschooler has 4, aaaaagh) I will start the bows for their Christmas dresses.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen them yet since my MIL bought them (which is cool, since it saves me money and it makes her happy to put her bargain shopping prowess to good use) but DH reports that they are black and white. That's all I really know except he did say something about checks but I think he has to mean plaid.

And I know my MIL's sense of style --especially when it comes to the yearly holiday dresses-- so I trust that these have a classic look about them.

I have seen some gorgeous black, white and silver bows here but that seems a little too mature for a 4 and 6 year old.

I do have a 5/8" gingerbread man grosgrain from Michael's: with a bright white background, the gingerbread man is wearing a red and white striped scarf. And I picked up a 1/4" velvet ribbon that I was considering using either as a surround or a smaller accent bow.

I'm iffy about the dressy velvet with the slightly countryish look of the grosgrain. But the white background is shiny so it may pull together. The real question may be whether the black looks good with the medium brown of the gingerbread man.

Is this one of those things you won't know until you actually put it together.

I do have some other grosgrain that I've picked up but I've forgotten what they are. I vaguely remember a narrow (3/8"?) Christmas tree but I can't see that working with the black velvet either.

TIA,
KelMac
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 11:43

Default Re: Seeking advice on pattern and color selection for dressy Christmas outfit bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
As soon as I finish one more scarf for my girls' various teachers (the preschooler has 4, aaaaagh) I will start the bows for their Christmas dresses.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen them yet since my MIL bought them (which is cool, since it saves me money and it makes her happy to put her bargain shopping prowess to good use) but DH reports that they are black and white. That's all I really know except he did say something about checks but I think he has to mean plaid.

And I know my MIL's sense of style --especially when it comes to the yearly holiday dresses-- so I trust that these have a classic look about them.

I have seen some gorgeous black, white and silver bows here but that seems a little too mature for a 4 and 6 year old.

I do have a 5/8" gingerbread man grosgrain from Michael's: with a bright white background, the gingerbread man is wearing a red and white striped scarf. And I picked up a 1/4" velvet ribbon that I was considering using either as a surround or a smaller accent bow.

I'm iffy about the dressy velvet with the slightly countryish look of the grosgrain. But the white background is shiny so it may pull together. The real question may be whether the black looks good with the medium brown of the gingerbread man.

Is this one of those things you won't know until you actually put it together.

I do have some other grosgrain that I've picked up but I've forgotten what they are. I vaguely remember a narrow (3/8"?) Christmas tree but I can't see that working with the black velvet either.

TIA,
KelMac
What about if you do one stacked bow in white and black (maybe use the 1/4 velvet ribbon for centers or surrounds?) and then reverse the colors for the other bow? In my opinion, the black/white/silver wouldn't be too mature ~ I like those colors together
Old 12-07-2010, 11:45

Default Re: Seeking advice on pattern and color selection for dressy Christmas outfit bows

Also, I have the same gingerbread ribbon from Michaels and I think I wouldn't use it. Another idea is what about red bows? You could either do all red or accent with black and white.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04

Tess,
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm tired of the red, green, burgundy, emerald, lace, velvet, etc.

I was happy to hear that the dresses were black and white and wanted to work with that. And while I share your hesitation about the grosgrain gingerbread man it does have the advantage of being "classic" or "timeless" if not exactly elegant.

When I was browsing the ribbon at Michael's today I did find a 3/8" black organza with a subtle line running down the middle. I paired it with the black velvet and someone suggested accenting it with pink. They had a super narrow (1/8" ?) shiny satin with a very thin line of silver along the edge.

Of course they had something similar in green and red. But I like the idea of the stark contrast of the black and the light/bright color ... but instead of silver maybe the pink with a hint of silver?

I may have to break down and call my MIL for more info on the dress. Oftentimes she picks up last year's styles at Marshall's or TJ Maxx but she may have gotten it at Kohl's or Target. In which case I might be able to find it online to take a look. If I actually had to go to the store it would almost be just as easy to pick the dresses up at her house in advance.

Of course it would have been much better if DH had brought them home when he had the chance. But that's another story.

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
Tess,
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm tired of the red, green, burgundy, emerald, lace, velvet, etc.

I was happy to hear that the dresses were black and white and wanted to work with that. And while I share your hesitation about the grosgrain gingerbread man it does have the advantage of being "classic" or "timeless" if not exactly elegant.

When I was browsing the ribbon at Michael's today I did find a 3/8" black organza with a subtle line running down the middle. I paired it with the black velvet and someone suggested accenting it with pink. They had a super narrow (1/8" ?) shiny satin with a very thin line of silver along the edge.

Of course they had something similar in green and red. But I like the idea of the stark contrast of the black and the light/bright color ... but instead of silver maybe the pink with a hint of silver?

I may have to break down and call my MIL for more info on the dress. Oftentimes she picks up last year's styles at Marshall's or TJ Maxx but she may have gotten it at Kohl's or Target. In which case I might be able to find it online to take a look. If I actually had to go to the store it would almost be just as easy to pick the dresses up at her house in advance.

Of course it would have been much better if DH had brought them home when he had the chance. But that's another story.

Thanks again.
All the fun ribbon sounds adorable! You'll have to post pics when you finish I love the idea of doing something unexpected. One time for Christmas, my dd wore a black cable knit sweater dress and instead of a traditional Christmas bow, I made a black/white houndstooth kanzashi flower. I really loved the look of it. Have fun playing around with the cute ribbon!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess9737 View Post
... One time for Christmas, my dd wore a black cable knit sweater dress and instead of a traditional Christmas bow, I made a black/white houndstooth kanzashi flower. ...
That sounds pretty. I'll bet it was something she's worn several times since,

You may have inspired me to think outside the box. I just remembered I picked up some white marabou with a subtle silver tinsel accent. Maybe I'll do a small pink, white and silver stacked. Then they could wear them again.

I may break down and head for my MIL's just to make sure that works.

Thanks again for the feedback, and inspiration.

It may be awhile before I post any pictures though. Our camera is kind of clunky and DH usually does the uploading. Maybe it's time to change that.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.