ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-02-2010, 10:05

Default Pls Help!! with my basic bow

my first time actually posting something i've did and .... Ok this is a little embarrassing

i've been trying to make bows on my own for 2 years.... they never quite come out like the rest of ya'lls

so i finally bit the bullet and bought lil hiccups tut. last night.

So let me tell you, i've now did 5 of them using her method and this is the best of all of them.

Obviously this bow looks very sad and pathetic... pls help me!!!

i feel like i got the right side down by the left side no.... my other feeling is that the bottom left loop no mater when i do this it's coming out looking like that which tells me that somewhere when i'm tying it or folding over or whatever it's not in the proper place

anyway pls be nice... i know this bow sucks but i'm begging for help and suggestions lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0110.jpg (40.3 KB, 86 views)
Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2010, 10:11

Default Re: Pls Help!! with my basic bow

wish i could help but i am new to i just found a pretty good way that helps me i cut the ribbon in half then make two seperate figure 8's then sew them together its easier for me to do it this way but i have never seen any instructions online that do it that way so idk
Old 12-02-2010, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmakowski View Post
wish i could help but i am new to i just found a pretty good way that helps me i cut the ribbon in half then make two seperate figure 8's then sew them together its easier for me to do it this way but i have never seen any instructions online that do it that way so idk
that is different! i've never seen that way!.... in the past i've used clippies to hold the loops down and i've wrapped the center with the "bead cording" and tie it tight...

but yea now i'm trying this sewing method and I just can't figure out where i'm going wrong... i feel like it's hit or miss lol
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21

Your top right loop is exactly what you want the rest of your loops to look like. You're going to have to study your bow and see the way every fold is layed, and you will figure it out. Are you sewing?? If so I would suggest a salon clip to hold it in place and sew in the middle. Start with your needle going DOWN, then go: up, down, and end coming UP. Space it equally. The crease is really important. The back of the bow needs to look symetrical when it's tied and knotted. All the creases need to be even, and the folds need to be toward the back of the bow, not the front. That's going to determine the shape of your loops.

Shaping is KEY, learning to pull your loops to look just like the others takes practice but it's gets much easier! Don't be afraid to be mean to your bow! I've batteled the twisted boutique for 2 years now and finally mastered it a few months ago. I've spent many many nights remaking the bow 40 times in a row, ugh! Lol!

I hope this all makes sense, it really just takes practice and studying your bow!! but those tips should help you (again, if they make sense to you!) I'm not the best at explaining things
Old 12-02-2010, 11:43

Another thing to watch for is even loops in step one. If you do the figure 8, make your initial 8, then pinch the center with one hand and flip it over so the loops hang towards the floor. Use the fingers of your other hand to pull them towards the floor and make sure they're even. Then when you fold them into the middle, use a large salon clip to hold it in place while you're sewing. It's like having a third hand! It's great! Also, when you use the clip you can adjust your loops before you start sewing. The narrower your figure 8 is the perkier the loops. Hope this helps a little! Keep trying!

Want to know what all the fuss is about? Join Bownanas on facebook. 1,300 members and growing!

I'll let you sleep with my husband before I give you my supplier information, so don't ask.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:11

I studied your photo and I think you have the backside showing. Can you take a pic of the other side?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:12

Where are you getting your ribbon from? If you are using ribbon that is a little limp it won't look right. I really like RABOM's ribbon! Just a thought.

Karen
Old 12-03-2010, 02:51

I think you folded it vertically instead of horizontally.

Of course that's assuming you were holding it in the position I do when I fold mine.

In any event, try folding it in the opposite direction.

Also, although the tails are hidden, I think ronnie is correct, I think you have taken a picture of the back. But that wouldn't change my impression that you need to rotate your bow 180 degrees when folding it.

Last edited by kelmac; 12-03-2010 at 02:56.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:58

I have tried freehand and the BBM. Both were not giving me the result I wanted. I saw this tut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcbOFRvZin4

I made my templates out of cardboard. My bows look like they should now. Still don't enjoy doing them, but they at least look like they should
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Nmd0E6MQ#gid=0

FACEBOOK GROUP FOR AWESOME BUYS:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/182211411884577/
www.PamperedPrincessPretties.com (Wholesale supplies)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:26

It doesn't look backwards to me. It supposed to be sewn on the X side, not the parallel side. Just my thought