http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:15

Default Flower Barrettes for Cheerleaders

Okay....Ladies I have a problem. I have always made cheer bows on pony o's. This year our Varsity squad had a latin theme for their routine. Their coach doesn't want cheer bows this year. Instead they would like to have a flower (white/metallic gold) for their hair.

Their hair will be worn up in a pony and they want to place to flower on the side. Since there is a "no metal" rule, and their routines are fast paced with lots of movement and tumbling, I would like to provide them with something that will not fall out during the routine. I have seen the barrettes that snap shut but am not sure if they will hold.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. You guys are always the greatest.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:28

Default Re: Flower Barrettes for Cheerleaders

They wouldn't even let us wear the metal barrettes when I was in school UNLESS we wrapped up the sharp edges/points with athletic tape...it was sooo stupid.
But wouldn't a pony still work if they put it in in such a way that they just had the flower facing off to the side? OR what about possibly some sort of stretch headband?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:50

I thought about a small pony. Even one of those tiny silicone pony's they use for very thin hair or teenie ponytails on babies.

My concern with a headband is their tumbling. We are talking full out back handsprings, tucks, layouts...the whole gambit.

They should be considered gymnists along with cheerleaders. They are spectacular to watch, but I am worried about a flower and not a bow.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:27

If it were me I would use the plastic barettes that snap shut like you mentioned in your first post. I have a couple heavy plastic ones for my daughter and hardly use them because they snap shut so tight I have a hard time getting them back open...
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&A'smommy View Post
If it were me I would use the plastic barettes that snap shut like you mentioned in your first post. I have a couple heavy plastic ones for my daughter and hardly use them because they snap shut so tight I have a hard time getting them back open...
Are they the white heavy plastic that you can buy on this site? If so, I'd rather throw my business this site's way than someone elses. Thanks.

Also, do you think fishing line would hold them down? I'm concerned about just glueing. I thought sewing may secure them better.

And thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcks2001 View Post
Are they the white heavy plastic that you can buy on this site? If so, I'd rather throw my business this site's way than someone elses. Thanks.

Also, do you think fishing line would hold them down? I'm concerned about just glueing. I thought sewing may secure them better.

And thanks in advance.

They look the same, but I'm not 100% sure, I bought mine like a year ago at a Micheal's just to try them out... and I would think fishing line would do the trick.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:51

HEY!! I've been thinking about this since I last posted and what if....you bought those BIG and I mean BIIIIIG like snap clips that you could line them with 7/8 and then sewed on the flowers...that way the metal is covered and then you could use silicone or something as a no slip in it and it should be good. ThinK?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfireshortie View Post
HEY!! I've been thinking about this since I last posted and what if....you bought those BIG and I mean BIIIIIG like snap clips that you could line them with 7/8 and then sewed on the flowers...that way the metal is covered and then you could use silicone or something as a no slip in it and it should be good. ThinK?
The coach is very specific a "no metal" policy. It's a real problem. What happened to cheerleaders wearing cheer bows? I guess we're venturing into a new day & age.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:17

Ann,
Where are they wearing the flowers? What if it was on a smaller yet still thick, pony-O, that they can put in their hair closer to their temple, you wouldn't have to worry about it breaking that way, but still not as bulky as the larger pony-o's. I'll paste a pic in a min...

OK, the first pic is the scunci smaller ones I was talking about,...they are the ones like power bows use.

second pic is the large thick goody brand ponys I usually use.

Would still look better with a snap clip, though, but I'm feeling your pain!

HTH
shelleigh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm scunci.jpg (41.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg goody.jpg (51.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Blkhawkfan; 11-23-2010 at 05:21. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2010, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
Ann,
Where are they wearing the flowers? What if it was on a smaller yet still thick, pony-O, that they can put in their hair closer to their temple, you wouldn't have to worry about it breaking that way, but still not as bulky as the larger pony-o's. I'll paste a pic in a min...

OK, the first pic is the scunci smaller ones I was talking about,...they are the ones like power bows use.

second pic is the large thick goody brand ponys I usually use.

Would still look better with a snap clip, though, but I'm feeling your pain!

HTH
shelleigh
Not exactly sure how they are wearing their hair. Right now, they are still going to wear it in a pony, but want to attach the bow to the side of their head. I'm thinking near their ear.

I am going to try it a few different ways and send them in to practice for a test run. This team purchases bows from me regularly, so I am not concerned about letting them do this. Plus, it's great experience for the next time a team asks for something off the wall.

I will let you know how this works out too.
Sponsored Links