Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:23

Default Re: funky bow tutorial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
The op didn't post a free tut. If you purchased her paid tut and are saying she did a good job, that's something else.

However, many people believe the information in the paid tut came from free information already posted by others.
I edited the post and took out the word "free" after I realized she was asking 5.00 dollars for it. Yes, I believe she did a great job.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 11:49

What part of Maxine's post are you agreeing with and what part are you disagreeing with? If you agree that, in principle, members/posters can generally "post a link to a free tutorial" then I don't understand why you go on to ask: "Is it fair for the OP (any OP not just this one) to post the link in the same thread?"

I think we can all agree that it would be in poor taste for someone to post a competing paid tutorial and perhaps even a free tutorial that was competing in the sense that it was directing traffic to the creator's site. But in this case it seems pretty clear that the OP was heavily inspired by a 12 step tutorial made available to everyone for no other reason than to help members of a community, in the spirit of generosity.

I can't say it is wrong of anyone to build on that information and try and make some money off of it, but it certainly isn't wrong for anyone to notice where that information originated from ... and to point that out to others. After all, maybe they'd like to make a paid tutorial too.

BTW, OP usually refers to the "Opening Post" or perhaps the "Opening Poster".

JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerendipityBoutique View Post
I agree with this. I bought the tut right after she released it, before I knew there was a free one. Now here is my question(Just a question) Is it fair for the OP (any OP not just this one) to post the link in the same thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine
This is just my opinion...

but if someone posts a tut for sale, others have every right to post a link to a free tutorial as well. What's fair for one is fair for another.

This community is about sharing ideas, suggestions, photos, etc. Sharing information regarding any type of tut just falls under the heading of common courtesy.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:20

exactly why i asked if this tut was for the same discussion in question where the girls told you how to do it.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:45

I agree that we should be able to share free tuts. I am just not sure it is fair to share them in the same thread as the paid one. But yes in this case I think she worked off the backs of others. I do know what OP stands for. That is what I was asking. Is it fair to the original poster that is trying to sell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
What part of Maxine's post are you agreeing with and what part are you disagreeing with? If you agree that, in principle, members/posters can generally "post a link to a free tutorial" then I don't understand why you go on to ask: "Is it fair for the OP (any OP not just this one) to post the link in the same thread?"

I think we can all agree that it would be in poor taste for someone to post a competing paid tutorial and perhaps even a free tutorial that was competing in the sense that it was directing traffic to the creator's site. But in this case it seems pretty clear that the OP was heavily inspired by a 12 step tutorial made available to everyone for no other reason than to help members of a community, in the spirit of generosity.

I can't say it is wrong of anyone to build on that information and try and make some money off of it, but it certainly isn't wrong for anyone to notice where that information originated from ... and to point that out to others. After all, maybe they'd like to make a paid tutorial too.

BTW, OP usually refers to the "Opening Post" or perhaps the "Opening Poster".

JMO

Proud Member of the Bow Diamonds!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/BowDiamonds

Wholesale Page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/Serendipi...oriesWholesale
Old 11-22-2010, 12:54

You all be nice!!!
Before you all got here there were tuts that were free and tuts that you paid for. Many of the same projects. We are all here to help each other but at the same time there are people who will go out of their way to make a good tut. It is perfectly okay for them to charge you for it. There is nothing wrong with it. It is YOUR responsibility to SEARCH on here for the free stuff if you chose not to buy any of these tuts. It has always been this way and will always continue to be this way.

You have that CHOICE to buy or not buy. Ragging someone for making a tut to sell is not nice. That was their choice.

I did have a problem with someone posting a link to the other thread as this is a perfect example of hijacking a thread and found it to be disrespectful. To this particular poster: It was not right to that. *on a side note I am working on a thread with paid tuts that I will be listing here pretty soon and your paid for tut will be on there as it is worth buying* I am not mad at you I just thougth the link was uncalled for.

Now....let her sell her tut. If you don't want to buy it, don't. If you want to, then go for it. If you want to wait and see what others have to say about it, then you are smart. That is just the way it goes.

A yr or two ago we were all into the "firecracker bow". Everyone wanted to figure it out. We had a discussion about it (just like this loopy bow). Then someone came up with a paid for tut (just like the OP on here). Nobody complained. We either bought it or we didn't. It really wasn't something to get all worked up about.

Now....play nice and let's drop this.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerendipityBoutique View Post
I agree that we should be able to share free tuts. I am just not sure it is fair to share them in the same thread as the paid one. But yes in this case I think she worked off the backs of others. I do know what OP stands for. That is what I was asking. Is it fair to the original poster that is trying to sell something?

I agree....almost 80% of tut makers do pick up bits of information from others and compile it into their own from their own hands on experience.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:02

If someone is posting a tut for sale, I see no problem in posting a link to a free one (if it exists) in the same thread.

The reason being is this is not a secret society message board. Each tut should stand on their own merit. Plus, most members go on to offer the paid tut on their own website or etsy store.

Many times, free tuts don't offer enough information or supporting photos for those trying to learn a new procedure. They may look at the free tut and feel they need something more.. something that might be more explicit.

Paid tuts, by their very nature, usually offer carefully labeled step-by-step instructions along with email and/or video support.

Let each member decide what is best for them.

Again, just my
Old 11-22-2010, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
you all be nice!!!
Before you all got here there were tuts that were free and tuts that you paid for. Many of the same projects. We are all here to help each other but at the same time there are people who will go out of their way to make a good tut. It is perfectly okay for them to charge you for it. There is nothing wrong with it. It is your responsibility to search on here for the free stuff if you chose not to buy any of these tuts. It has always been this way and will always continue to be this way.

You have that choice to buy or not buy. Ragging someone for making a tut to sell is not nice. That was their choice.

I did have a problem with someone posting a link to the other thread as this is a perfect example of hijacking a thread and found it to be disrespectful. To this particular poster: It was not right to that. *on a side note i am working on a thread with paid tuts that i will be listing here pretty soon and your paid for tut will be on there as it is worth buying* i am not mad at you i just thougth the link was uncalled for.

Now....let her sell her tut. If you don't want to buy it, don't. If you want to, then go for it. If you want to wait and see what others have to say about it, then you are smart. That is just the way it goes.

A yr or two ago we were all into the "firecracker bow". Everyone wanted to figure it out. We had a discussion about it (just like this loopy bow). Then someone came up with a paid for tut (just like the op on here). Nobody complained. We either bought it or we didn't. It really wasn't something to get all worked up about.

Now....play nice and let's drop this.
amen!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
now....play nice and let's drop this.
i agree!!!

Proud Member of the Bow Diamonds!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/BowDiamonds

Wholesale Page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/Serendipi...oriesWholesale
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
If someone is posting a tut for sale, I see no problem in posting a link to a free one (if it exists) in the same thread.

The reason being is this is not a secret society message board. Each tut should stand on their own merit. Plus, most members go on to offer the paid tut on their own website or etsy store.

Many times, free tuts don't offer enough information or supporting photos for those trying to learn a new procedure. They may look at the free tut and feel they need something more.. something that might be more explicit.

Paid tuts, by their very nature, usually offer carefully labeled step-by-step instructions along with email and/or video support.

Let each member decide what is best for them.

Again, just my
What is wrong with that is it takes away from the person trying to sell. It is like say one of you all posts your santa polymer clay figure for $5 and then someone comes on your thread and posts one similar for $3. Start a new thread posting that $3 santa instead of hijacking the OP thread.
Sponsored Links