New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-17-2008, 05:07

Default Re: Tulle Pom Wands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebd1550 View Post
Lorraine-
YOU ROCK!!!!!!! I've been thinking the same thing about the make your own pom - even pulled up the same tutorial - just didn't have any tulle. Anyway, can you take a pic of the pom after you wrap but before you cut? Also, how much tulle did you use and what size were your circles/donuts? I'm more of a visula learner if you can't tell. You just saved me a bunch of time playing this weekend - I can get right to making them! Thanks so much!
I'm the same way! I'm trying to picture this all in my head but until I actually try it it's jumbling up my brain! LOL....which isn't hard to do....
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 05:53

oooh coffee shop!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecansofbeans View Post
Glad to be of help.

I was going to take pictures but I couldnt be bothered getting my camera as I get distracted so easily I figured if I went to get the camera out of the car I'd end up in the coffee shop.

I'll make another later and take pics. Super easy!

Lorraine

Okay. I'm frustrated. I made my donuts (about 4" in diameter"). I wrapped the tulle and quickly found out I had to just cut 3 foot strips and wrap and then keep adding strips b/c I couldn't get the spool of tulle (ha ha spool of tulle) through the donut hole and when I cut it the length I wanted to use but even THAT was too much to get through the hole. So the 3 ft strips really helped.

THEN when I was done and I tried to tie the string, it was a nightmare getting it around the cut tulle. I left it on the donuts, cut b/w them (like making a yarn pom) but b/c the tulle's natural instinct is to stand up straight, it began coming away from the donut as I cut around and tried to slip the string in between my two cardboard donuts. It started falling apart right away. Grrrrrr.

I almost pitched it, but then decided just to stack the (then cut into 6" strips due to my cutting around the donut) strips and tie around the center. I used two colors. I started with pink, then added a bunch of white and then pink again. It looks like it's on the right track (thank goodness). I will try to get a picture up here soon.

The trimming is time consuming and I have cut away a lot of tulle, but still have quite a large puff.

I'm a little worried about the strips coming out but so far it seems pretty sturdy. Once I complete this one I will let my DD play with it and see how long it lasts.

Last edited by LoveToCraft; 04-17-2008 at 06:01.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:51

this is what I love about this board. So friendly and so helpful. I expect we'll be seeing lots of pom pom wands on etsy soon.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:07

I am also trying to make one of these and wanted to wrap the dowel with ribbon. I am trying to wrap with two different colors (like a candy cane) but I can't figure it out. This is one of those things that I have at the top of my head to do. Everytime I attemp to do it only one color is visible.

Thanks
Kelly
Old 04-18-2008, 01:00

My children destroyed my puff. Not sure how to make it more sturdy. I tied it pretty darn tight!

I didn't even get to show my husband my puff. *sniff*

Any ideas?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:03

I also tried one using the pom-pom theory and could NOT tie it tight enough to hold the center strips tight enough that they cannot be pulled out. It also took a lot longer to do the trimming to get a ball shape. I'm going back to cutting circles. For me it is much easier and definitely more secure!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecansofbeans View Post
I just tried to quote the last two posts.

Pictures - do you have pictures of the one your kids pulled apart?
Was is very compact? What did you tie it with? How much tulle did you use?I can't pull my bits out.

O.k. Let me sit down and try another one.

Give me an hour or so and I'll get pictures to you.

Lorraine
I used nylon tulle (the pink seemed a bit stiffer than the white...or the white is a bit softer than the pink). I used white embroidery string (the kind with 5 strands together, not embroidery thread on a spool). The first time I tied tight (during the donut/pom run) the thread actually snapped when I pulled it tight.

The second time (when I stacked my strips that had fallen apart from the pom) I used the same string but wrapped around twice before I tied the final knot. It didn't snap/break then, BUT it's not AS tight as I'd like. I LOOKS good but I know if I pull them the strips will come out.

I think I've seen people using elastic on their bows (for tied centers) so maybe that would work. I don't have any right now (the craft stores are probably tired of seeing me every day for just $5 purchases...ching, ching, ching). Hey! I can just use a pony-o elastic, cut.

Right now I'm thinking: use precut rounds of tulle (like those used for wedding favors) OR cut circles and use elastic to tie the center.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:50

Here are three I made. The fullest is the pom pom, which I like the looks of best, but it comes apart! The other two are made of sewn circles, one obviously with more tulle than the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pom pom.jpg (66.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg large sewn.jpg (79.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg small sewn.jpg (77.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-18-2008, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygrammy View Post
Here are three I made. The fullest is the pom pom, which I like the looks of best, but it comes apart! The other two are made of sewn circles, one obviously with more tulle than the other.
Those look good. Did you spend a lot of time trimming? I like the look of the pom the best (the others look good as well, but you're right, not as full).

Did you try using the tulle to tie the center like Lorraine suggested? I'm going to do that OVER the thread I used to see if I can get mine a little tighter.
Sponsored Links