new products--pop dot diy pinwheel bows

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/no-liner-bottle-cap-combo.jpg

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-soft-ball.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-dizzy-bees-ribbon-grosgrain-combo-.JPG
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/ladybug-applique-red-dot.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/half-wrapped%2050mm-snap-clips.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/flat-back-pearl-shpk.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-04-2010, 11:34

Default Re: Cheer Bows Overload II ***Picture heavy!***

Zebra's seem to be a very popular theme with everything. I tried making a few cheer bows for my neices and I still have not finished. The ribbons are ready they just need put together. The sequin material almost did me in. I want a real cheerleader bow tutorial that gets indepth into how to handle these fragile materials. Cutting, pasting, bonding....
Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2010, 11:36

Nice bows
Old 12-05-2010, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
Here's the JMD bows for nationals, very similar to a bow i posted earlier, but made them 3" instead of 2.25", and they wore zebra spankies as well. They originally had french clips, but changed to ponys for Nationals, hence their return to me. They have 7/8" zebra ribbon to tie in their hair and zebra soffe shorts to wear at practice while at Disney, too. I thought the zebra theme was a little overdone but they look pretty good.
Get your cheer on!
I think you're work is awesome, my only suggestion to you would be to watch that you are folding all the bows the same way. Some of the bows have the left tail on top and some have the right. Very nice though
Old 12-05-2010, 11:08

I had some problems with the bows, the HnB wasn't bonding, but couldn't use E6000 due to the strong possibility of the glue showing through the ribbon. Some of the ribbon smeared due to ironing, even though I ironed on the back side of the black ribbon, it was a near-disaster....will never order zebra from RABOM again. Because of the smearing, I had to fold some of the bows differently, because the ribbon actually had a "top" and "bottom" where the zebra stripe continued to the edge of the ribbon only on one side...the other side's stripes stopped about 1/4" to 1/8" from the edge of the ribbon. So, I had to either fold them differently or have the edge of zebra ribbon showing that had an area void of stripes showing. Hard to explain, but what a royal PIA. next time, just sticking with my zebra standby, venus or Schiff.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:45

Quote:
I had some problems with the bows, the HnB wasn't bonding, but couldn't use E6000 due to the strong possibility of the glue showing through the ribbon. Some of the ribbon smeared due to ironing, even though I ironed on the back side of the black ribbon, it was a near-disaster....will never order zebra from RABOM again. Because of the smearing, I had to fold some of the bows differently, because the ribbon actually had a "top" and "bottom" where the zebra stripe continued to the edge of the ribbon only on one side...the other side's stripes stopped about 1/4" to 1/8" from the edge of the ribbon. So, I had to either fold them differently or have the edge of zebra ribbon showing that had an area void of stripes showing. Hard to explain, but what a royal PIA. next time, just sticking with my zebra standby, venus or Schiff.
Are you sure you got that zebra ribbon from RABOM? I have gotten zebra from them many times and it has never been that type of zebra. It is the thinner black lines and looks completely different. The ones in your picture do look like the ones I got from ****. It has that type of zebra print, the weird texture you're talking about, and the zebra not running completely to the edge. If you did get it from RABOM, maybe it was a one-time bad batch thing with a different manufacturer?

**never mind, wrong company!

Last edited by cinnamonsugar; 12-06-2010 at 12:04.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:51

Quote:
Here's the JMD bows for nationals, very similar to a bow i posted earlier, but made them 3" instead of 2.25", and they wore zebra spankies as well. They originally had french clips, but changed to ponys for Nationals, hence their return to me. They have 7/8" zebra ribbon to tie in their hair and zebra soffe shorts to wear at practice while at Disney, too. I thought the zebra theme was a little overdone but they look pretty good.
Get your cheer on!
Fabulous bows!!

Hon, do you happen to know if the nationals were this weekend in Orlando?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonsugar View Post
Are you sure you got that zebra ribbon from RABOM? I have gotten zebra from them many times and it has never been that type of zebra. It is the thinner black lines and looks completely different. The ones in your picture do look like the ones I got from hair bow center.
CS:
I went back and checked my receipts and you're right, it wasn't RABOM! So thanks for saving me from feeling like I down-talked a good supplier. Unfortunately, it was from HG. See my other post "zebra ribbon not bonding! help!!"..... I don't want to say anything more other than I wont purchase the french clips here anymore either. Thick zebra (2" or 2.25") is hard to find, so if anyone here knows of a good supplier, LMK. The thinner stripe zebra that I've purchased from LSM does not "show" well on the floor, so I've used fabric before, too, but I didn't have time to wait for spandexworld to ship, and Michelle ships overnight CHEAP! But anyway, lesson learned...
Thanks!
Shelleigh
Old 12-06-2010, 12:12

Quote:
CS:
I went back and checked my receipts and you're right, it wasn't RABOM! So thanks for saving me from feeling like I down-talked a good supplier. Unfortunately, it was from HG. See my other post "zebra ribbon not bonding! help!!"..... I don't want to say anything more other than I wont purchase the french clips here anymore either. Thick zebra (2" or 2.25") is hard to find, so if anyone here knows of a good supplier, LMK. The thinner stripe zebra that I've purchased from LSM does not "show" well on the floor, so I've used fabric before, too, but I didn't have time to wait for spandexworld to ship, and Michelle ships overnight CHEAP! But anyway, lesson learned...
Thanks!
Shelleigh
Oh goodness, now that you mention it I remember mine wasn't hair bow center, it was HG too ... I only ordered the 3/8" zebra from hair bow center so I can't speak for the quality of the other sizes but I did like what I got.
I know what you mean about having a hard time finding the wider zebra ribbon with the wider stripes. I hate having to use the fabric for it.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:38

Maxine, I think they started Monday, as in today for JPW squads, PW tomorrow, then JMD on Weds, Dance on Thurs and MD on Fri...
And at the risk of sounding snarky, Why Why Why on Earth would they put that worn out looking bow with the cheerleaders' clasps out of time on the front page of Pop Warner???????

Last edited by Blkhawkfan; 12-06-2010 at 05:49. Reason: editing days and getting snarky
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47

Quote:
Maxine, I think they started Monday, as in today for JPW squads, PW tomorrow, then JMD on Weds, Dance on Thurs and MD on Fri...
And at the risk of sounding snarky, Why Why Why on Earth would they put that worn out looking bow with the cheerleaders' clasps out of time on the front page of Pop Warner???????
OMG! We just got back from WDW last night and those cheer bows WERE EVERYWHERE!!! And I do mean, everywhere!

Tags
cheer bows