New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-12-2010, 04:01

Default How do you layer your ribbons?

I tried layering my ribbons by hot gluing them to make a twisted boutique but it comes out all funny looking. How do you ladies layer your ribbons?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 11-12-2010, 06:03

Default Re: How do you layer your ribbons?

If you are talking about layering ribbons to fold a bow, I just lay mine on top of each other, I don't actually attach them together. I believe for the cheer bows that some use Heat N Bond, or something similar......HTH

Proud Army Wife and Momma to 6 wonderful Kids....

Follow me as I indulge in my crafting and pinterest addictions.....
http://confessionsofapinner.blogspot.com/

Wholesale Felties available here, www.facebook.com/owlalwayslovefelties
Old 11-17-2010, 04:24

Depends...for some plain grosgrain ribbon cheer bows, I just HnB a smidge at half, and 7" from half in both directions, just to get the ribbon to stay laying centered while I am wrestling with the folds. Otherwise, on a GG bow, I don't bond the layers unless I am requested by the customer. I bond all of my other fabric bows, some with HeatnBond, some with E6000 glue and iron-on vinyl. They sequins always get HnB to bond the fabric to ribbon, then glue to bond the ribbon to ribbon. Any white or zebra ribbon gets HnB due to the glue lines that show through the white (or any other pale color) GG ribbon. try HnB lite if you are struggling with your boutique bows and maybe they wont be as stiff as a cheer bow, but always remember you are adding an extra layer to your bow, and it will become more stiff with each layer.
HTH,
Shelleigh
Old 11-18-2010, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
I just HnB a smidge at half
Umm, what?

LoL! Can you tell me what that means please? I get the "heat ' bond" part
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08

I think she means a the centre point of the ribbon & again 7" from the centre.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBES View Post
I think she means a the centre point of the ribbon & again 7" from the centre.
Ahhhh... Thanks Rubes!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:14

Your most welcome...after all the advice I've seen from you I was glad to be able to help you out
Old 11-18-2010, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Umm, what?

LoL! Can you tell me what that means please? I get the "heat ' bond" part
LOL I was truly laughing out loud at that one, sorry, sometimes what sounds okay in my head comes out sounding pretty strange.

So, Rubes was right, I have a spare roll of HnB that I keep for this specific type of bow, that way I don't have to cut pieces off of my big roll and I am not forced to keep little scraps--even tho' they are all over my house anyway, but you KWIM...

I tear off maybe a centimeter's worth off the roll ("a smidge"), three times, so I end up with 3 little pieces of HnB. (Skinny roll, what is it, 3/8"? 5/8?)

Then, I place the largest ribbon down on the ironing board, measure halfway point, lay one piece of HnB, then skinnier ribbon on top and iron. If your ribbon is 2.25", then measure 7" from center in each direction (3" base needs 8" loops) and place piece of HnB down, then smooth the skinner ribbon down and iron. repeat for other side. If you are making a three layer bow, then repeat with smallest width ribbon. twist ribbon so the 7" marks cross, top sides up so it looks like a wide survivor type ribbon, pin and fold. It gets tricky to hold the fold with one hand while folding the halfway point with your other, but it can be done easily with practice. This is my only reason for using the HnB, so the ribbons don't slide all over while I am trying to fold them! Use a tiny cable tie to wrap, adding pony-O if that is your attachment of choice. Wa-La, you have made a cheer bow! Keep in mind, I only do this with plain grosgrain ribbon bows, and you can do the same thing with a dot of glue or fabric-tac or double sided tape, etc etc you get the idea.
I hope this is a little more clear, if not, then I am a hopeless case and dont confuse yourself by listening to me and my ramblings! LOL
Shelleigh
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24

Quote:
LOL I was truly laughing out loud at that one, sorry, sometimes what sounds okay in my head comes out sounding pretty strange.

So, Rubes was right, I have a spare roll of HnB that I keep for this specific type of bow, that way I don't have to cut pieces off of my big roll and I am not forced to keep little scraps--even tho' they are all over my house anyway, but you KWIM...

I tear off maybe a centimeter's worth off the roll ("a smidge"), three times, so I end up with 3 little pieces of HnB. (Skinny roll, what is it, 3/8"? 5/8?)

Then, I place the largest ribbon down on the ironing board, measure halfway point, lay one piece of HnB, then skinnier ribbon on top and iron. If your ribbon is 2.25", then measure 7" from center in each direction (3" base needs 8" loops) and place piece of HnB down, then smooth the skinner ribbon down and iron. repeat for other side. If you are making a three layer bow, then repeat with smallest width ribbon. twist ribbon so the 7" marks cross, top sides up so it looks like a wide survivor type ribbon, pin and fold. It gets tricky to hold the fold with one hand while folding the halfway point with your other, but it can be done easily with practice. This is my only reason for using the HnB, so the ribbons don't slide all over while I am trying to fold them! Use a tiny cable tie to wrap, adding pony-O if that is your attachment of choice. Wa-La, you have made a cheer bow! Keep in mind, I only do this with plain grosgrain ribbon bows, and you can do the same thing with a dot of glue or fabric-tac or double sided tape, etc etc you get the idea.
I hope this is a little more clear, if not, then I am a hopeless case and dont confuse yourself by listening to me and my ramblings! LOL
Shelleigh
Thanks so much Shelleigh! I appreciate you taking the time to explain everything (still laughing @ the "Wa-la" part!) lol
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13

Quote:
Shelleigh
It doesn't have to make perfect sense now. It will probably click at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif