http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-12-2010, 10:07

Default Re: I want to make a Tutorial.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
When you're following a tutorial, is there a particular format that you prefer? In other words... what's the easiest arrangement of photos and directions to follow along with?

Just photos and directions, one right after the other?

Some kind of slide show?

???
Every tut/manual I've ever written had clear, concise directions along side EXPLICIT, big photos. I emphasize explicit because it's extremely important.

For instance, don't show me a photo of a bow from 4 feet away when you're trying to explain the knot that is buried underneath 4 layers of ribbon.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Every tut/manual I've ever written had clear, concise directions along side EXPLICIT, big photos.
Okay, I'm getting really picky here, but... when you say "along side" do you mean directions NEXT to the photos, ABOVE the photos, or BELOW the photos?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:57

Quote:
Okay, I'm getting really picky here, but... when you say "along side" do you mean directions NEXT to the photos, ABOVE the photos, or BELOW the photos?
First of all, all photos should have corresponding reference numbers. For instance...

Step #4: Connect the HDMI cable between the receiver and television as shown in photo 6b.

Photos need to be as close to the text they are illustrating as possible. Readers (especially ones who are reading to learn.. as in a tutorial or instruction manual) can get easily confused. They have no previous knowledge (or very little) of the subject matter. Even if they do, you as the "teacher" need to start out on the ground level.

Remember, people read from the top down so putting the image above the text isn't the best option. You want your words to be what they see first, followed by the image. Photos are SUPPLEMENTS to the written word. Be sure your information is clear, concise and always to the point.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:54

I totally agree with Maxine. I don't make tuts but have bought tons of them and it aggravates me when the pics aren't clear or the tut is not done professionally.

Is one thing to post some FREE tuts in your blog but when you are going to charge for one it should be done properly. JMO
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37

Thank you for your perspective, Maxine! I desperately need to update my website tutorials, so I'm looking for helpful feedback.

For reference, here are some examples of the layouts I mentioned:

Directions NEXT to the photo.

Directions ABOVE the photo.

Directions BELOW the photo.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:00

Quote:
Thank you for your perspective, Maxine! I desperately need to update my website tutorials, so I'm looking for helpful feedback.

For reference, here are some examples of the layouts I mentioned:

Directions NEXT to the photo.

Directions ABOVE the photo.

Directions BELOW the photo.
Are you asking me which one(s) I prefer?

The "next" one is fine, but the bow photos are too small (imo).

The "above" one is a bad example as it's poorly written... not enough information.

The "below" tut starts out ok, but she's missing at least one step. Where does she show you how to attach the brooch? She tells you to pin it but she doesn't visually show that step.

Last edited by Maxine; 11-13-2010 at 06:03.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:55

Quote:
Are you asking me which one(s) I prefer?
Actually, I was just asking which layout you preferred, but your critique of the three is extremely useful!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:44

Quote:
Actually, I was just asking which layout you preferred, but your critique of the three is extremely useful!
Ah, ok
Old 11-13-2010, 01:05

Quote:
I think using a template so that all your tuts look the same is a great idea. It becomes something your customers can visually identify you with
I agree!!! I proof tutorials for a few of the talented ladies here including Wendy523 (Punky N Munky). She uses the same easy to follow format which makes it smooth to read (not only for proofing). Instructions are directly next to the picture that illustrates them. Helps with the visual personal as well as those who prefer reading!