http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-28-2010, 08:47

Default Re: tutorial for this flower?

I think it looks great.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:51

no tutu frilly, you did a great job. i love it! i tried it too but mine is a little wilder looking. i like it but i want to make it to look round like yours. yours looks like acrylic felt? how big is it and how long of a piece did you use to get it that size? is there a trick in getting the rounded look? i ran a thread thru the bottom of my strip and gathered then started rolling. i would like to skip the running thread. i also used a wool felt and its pretty stiff. it does make a pretty pin but i am looking to make them just like you!! spill please.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldwal View Post
no tutu frilly, you did a great job. i love it! i tried it too but mine is a little wilder looking. i like it but i want to make it to look round like yours. yours looks like acrylic felt? how big is it and how long of a piece did you use to get it that size? is there a trick in getting the rounded look? i ran a thread thru the bottom of my strip and gathered then started rolling. i would like to skip the running thread. i also used a wool felt and its pretty stiff. it does make a pretty pin but i am looking to make them just like you!! spill please.

I tried it too. My first one I did not glue the bottom edge shut before I rolled,and the 2 layers shifted on me and gave my petals a "twisted" look. The second one I did glue. I ran a small strip of hot glue down the long edge and glued together, then I cut my slits and rolled. It turned out much more uniform!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:14

Thanks for the feedback ladies! All I did was start w/a 6" strip of felt (acrylic) that was 1 1/2" wide (you'll probably need 4 of these). I folded it in half, pinned it to stay shut (on the open side of the fold of course), and then I cut slits on the folded side of the felt. I then sewed a running stitch along the open end (removing pins as you go of course)....I would sew a little then pull the thread to make the felt "curl" into a circle. Once it's the size of a circle you like, just cut the rest of the felt off and sew the "circle" shut. I repeated this step for all layers, gradually making them smaller. Once all were done I just put a thin layer of glue around the "hole" in the middle of the circle and stacked/glued them together. I had to tweak the very top a little by taking the small circle piece (with 3-4 slits) and I tucked it into the hole of the 2nd smallest layer (and added a few stitches to hold them together) just to round off the top. Hope this makes sense! LOL......oh yeah....I didn't do any "rolling" of the felt either?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TutuFrilly View Post
Thanks for the feedback ladies! All I did was start w/a 6" strip of felt (acrylic) that was 1 1/2" wide (you'll probably need 4 of these). I folded it in half, pinned it to stay shut (on the open side of the fold of course), and then I cut slits on the folded side of the felt. I then sewed a running stitch along the open end (removing pins as you go of course)....I would sew a little then pull the thread to make the felt "curl" into a circle. Once it's the size of a circle you like, just cut the rest of the felt off and sew the "circle" shut. I repeated this step for all layers, gradually making them smaller. Once all were done I just put a thin layer of glue around the "hole" in the middle of the circle and stacked/glued them together. I had to tweak the very top a little by taking the small circle piece (with 3-4 slits) and I tucked it into the hole of the 2nd smallest layer (and added a few stitches to hold them together) just to round off the top. Hope this makes sense! LOL......oh yeah....I didn't do any "rolling" of the felt either?
I should also add that I cut a small circle of matching felt for a "base" to start assembling the flower on.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00

Here is my first attempt... not good as yours but I will keep practicing. I didn't glue my strip and it did shifted a little but I kept pulling it together. Also pardon the color of my felt but that was a scrap I had and it is just fo practice

Let me know what you think.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:26

Wow both of you did AWESOME!! Love it! Did both of you use acrylic felt? I am new to felt flowers. What is the best type of felt to use? Thanks! GREAT job!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:38

I used a scrap of wool felt but will try with regular felt and see the difference. Will post a pic of the difference (if any) later today.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45

I think they look great, especially for a first attempt. I can't wait to try one.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2girlies2029 View Post
Here is my first attempt... not good as yours but I will keep practicing. I didn't glue my strip and it did shifted a little but I kept pulling it together. Also pardon the color of my felt but that was a scrap I had and it is just fo practice

Let me know what you think.
I actually think it looks better than mine...lol