New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-29-2010, 09:20

Default Re: For those whose twisted boutique bows fold in on themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
LoL! Whatever works, right? My bows need so much help, I'm willing to try anything! lol
I hear you on that. That's why I don't care if I got the info wrong b/c it is working for me. Just wanted to add that I really think my Gator Bite helps a lot. It helps with the crease. I am not so good with the needle and thread. I've tried it and my crease never turned out right. The Gator Bite is so easy to use. Just sayin'.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyL View Post
I hear you on that. That's why I don't care if I got the info wrong b/c it is working for me. Just wanted to add that I really think my Gator Bite helps a lot. It helps with the crease. I am not so good with the needle and thread. I've tried it and my crease never turned out right. The Gator Bite is so easy to use. Just sayin'.

I don't think I could make a bow without my gator bite! The crease is so important, and with the Gator Bite I get it right everytime with no real effort. I tie it off (on the back!) and then I run a needle and thread through if it is for someone else, and the ones that are just for me I tie off. I actually bought a 2nd gator bite just in case I lose my 1st one
Old 10-29-2010, 01:18

Where did you buy your Gator Bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabear74 View Post
I don't think I could make a bow without my gator bite! The crease is so important, and with the Gator Bite I get it right everytime with no real effort. I tie it off (on the back!) and then I run a needle and thread through if it is for someone else, and the ones that are just for me I tie off. I actually bought a 2nd gator bite just in case I lose my 1st one
Old 10-29-2010, 01:30

thanks for the info! just a quick question how long do you cut your ribbon for this bow? It looks awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyL View Post
I got this tip on here yesterday from JustDaisy's thread about her new tutorial. So thank you JustDaisy. I have been doing this bow for quite a while and min never quite looked right. I've got the fold down and I use a GatorBite but it always folds in on itself and I could never figure out why??

Anyway, what I was doing was tying it off and tying toward the front of the bow. Apparently, you need to tie it off towards the back of the bow so when it folds, it faces down. DUH!!!! OMG, I just wanted to show you what my previous bows looked like and what it looks like now. WOW, big difference.

Thanks again JustDaisy! Oh, and I have like 2 or 3 sets of bow instructions I've bought and no one has ever said this before. Maybe it's obvious or maybe it's overlooked but it's an important step. Just wanted to share in case anyone else could benefit from this tip.

Top bow is my new bow and bottom is my previous bow.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmonkeymom View Post
Where did you buy your Gator Bite?

From here...

http://www.lookatmebaby.com/index.php/cPath/24

Some people use the large clips from Sally's, but I like that the gator-bite has "teeth".
Old 10-29-2010, 01:44

I don't think it really matters which side you tie your bow on.

What does matter is that your edges fold toward the bottom of the bow (rather than the top).

i.e. make a crease so it's like a "M", versus a "W". "W" = bad news. "M"= tidier look.

HTH
Old 10-29-2010, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabear74 View Post
Yes, I love mine too. I actually ordered a 2nd one yesterday in case mine breaks. LOL. Seriously I could not make bows without it. The teeth are important for gripping and the crease! I so agree.

ldelzer, but when I fold mine with the GB and tie off toward the front, it creases us like a "W" so if I tie it towards the back it makes the "M". I didn't realize the shape of the crease was so important. For me, it just works if I tie it off toward the back.

As far as the length, I am kinda weird b/c I hand fold and don't measure. I just fold the ribbon off the spool and eye ball it and then cut when I have the shape I want.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldelzer View Post
I don't think it really matters which side you tie your bow on.

What does matter is that your edges fold toward the bottom of the bow (rather than the top).

i.e. make a crease so it's like a "M", versus a "W". "W" = bad news. "M"= tidier look.

HTH
Can you explain this a little more? I'm confused...
Old 10-29-2010, 05:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tylerandali View Post
Can you explain this a little more? I'm confused...
When you crease the bow you want the fold to look like an "M" rather than a "W" if you were looking at the front of the bow. I'm not sure how better to explain it. Maybe someone else can do a better job.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:15

Oh, yeah, I sew my bows. i don't use a gator bite. Sorry for the confusion.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies