New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-26-2010, 07:48

Default Yep- Issue with Bottle Caps lol

First off, I have just started buying my images cause i don't have a software or patience to make my own yet. Anyway, I have been printing them at home, no problem so far. I used the xylon sticker maker to make them into stickers to stick onto the bottlecap (unpainted, haven't really gotten good feedback on what is good to use besides acrylic and when I used it, it doesn't turn out pretty) anyway, so then I had my husband make me a stand to sit the caps on so that when i dumped the resin on it would drip down off the cap and not all in a pile (had that happen when I put it on a cookie sheet) so my first issue was I noticed that some of the resin got under the paper and is leaving a wet look. Second, why did my resin (et lite??) come out all bubbly...first time I did it, it was fine, second batch was reallllly bubbly. So as i am trying to work the bubbles up, my daughter came by and was looking, tripped on my board and dumped ALL 50 bottle caps, I was hoping they would still come out and work their way fine, but afterwards they are wasted, bubbles, dirt, saw dust from the garage lol....big mess.

Anyway, So last night, i reprinted all my images, cut and I am almost out of sticker paper so I decided to use the modge podge and blue them on and around the edge so that the resin doesn't slip through....Do you think this will work? Can I use modge podge and et lite together? How do I get it to not bubble? How do I make it to where the resin sets evenly and not more on one side?

Has anyone used the resin drops? How do they work? Are they better/easier? Why am I having so much trouble!
Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2010, 08:12

Default Re: Yep- Issue with Bottle Caps lol

I did not like my results when I used modge podge, maybe it was because I was impatient and didn't wait long enough for it to dry before adding my resin but I was able to see the modge podge underneath. Be careful not to put too much resin on the bottle caps, it shouldn't be going down the sides, that doesn't look pretty when it dries even if you have it raised up so it won't be a giant glob. The bubbles form when you are mixing the et lite, try not to "whip" it to get extra air bubbles in. There will always be air bubbles just wait about five minutes after you have put the et lite on the bottle caps and the bubbles rise to the top, take a lighter and hold it over and they will pop. Sometimes I still have one or two bubbles I cant get, you can always use a toothpick if it hasn't been sitting too long.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:18

First off - consider using something besides ET. I have made 1,000 of caps, and ET was just too unpredictable. it is made for wood, not for jewelry. Consider getting Colores Resin from Rio Grande. I use MP on all of my images that are white, I spread it with my fingertip around on the top and around the edges. let it dry WELL, then resin. Only allow the resin on the TOP of the image - the surface tension at the edge of the image should keep it from dripping down the sides. you would have a mess with having it go over the edge. There will always be bubbles, but ET seems more tempermental (sp??) and I ended up throwing many caps. Grrr....
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32

ok with the et lite you have to go over the image with modgepodge first ( be sure to cover the edges) then i top with the etlite using a popsicle stick jus to cover the top, then when i'm done covering i take a lighter and run over the caps to pop all the bubbles =) then let dry in a dust free place
Old 10-26-2010, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyt19784 View Post
ok with the et lite you have to go over the image with modgepodge first ( be sure to cover the edges) then i top with the etlite using a popsicle stick jus to cover the top, then when i'm done covering i take a lighter and run over the caps to pop all the bubbles =) then let dry in a dust free place

Do you use the modge to also stick the image to the cap, or do you adhere the image with something else, then go over it with modge podge?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52

I say fooey with all that modge podge et lite mess.. SORRY YALL.. I use the resin drops and have had NO problems.. I will say that I put my images on the inside of the caps or flattend caps and to me they are just as cute.. I LOVE THE DROPS and if you want to know where to get them at a good price pm me and I will be glad to share : )
Old 10-26-2010, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabear74 View Post
Do you use the modge to also stick the image to the cap, or do you adhere the image with something else, then go over it with modge podge?

i use the xyron stickermaker with permanent adhesive. then go over with modge podge
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyt19784 View Post
i use the xyron stickermaker with permanent adhesive. then go over with modge podge

Thanks......I truly believe you have the best bottlecaps out there
Old 10-26-2010, 02:25

Well the reason I had saw dust was because they fell on the board my husband made for me which I guess didn't get dusted.
So I shouldn't put enough to go over the edges....hmmm....I am going to have to try really hard not to do that. I must use too much. So I am just supposed to use enough to get on the image...alright...off to try to do this again
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42

So I am beginning to think that Bottle caps are NOT my thing lol. I made way too much resin this time, the resin started hardening in the cup before i was even half way done...I think I took too much time or something. Well, then I stop and I was like I will just do half. Go to get the lighter to realize that my husband took my van which has the lighter in it! Gah. My neighbor is a smoker but isn't home for another hour...grr...maybe i should just do the drops lol.
Sponsored Links