Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-23-2010, 12:58
zoesmommy27

Default How much to charge

We have a cheer team that is about 180 girls. They love my bows as the ones they have this year just are all falling apart. they are going to approach me about making them next year, right now they are three layer of ribbon, two loop tails hanging down bows. simple. how much would you quote. i dont want to over quote and not get the job but also dont want to be working for nothing...
Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2010, 01:01

Default Re: How much to charge

I'm not really good at giving quotes so I won't be able to help you much but like you said you don't want to be working for nothing. I would give them a reasonable price and remind them that they will be paying for quality as well and they won't fall apart like the other ones.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:13

Here's what I would do.

Make one. As you make it, take measurements, etc to figure your materials cost. Then take into account how much time it takes you to make the bow itself. Obviously when making in assembly line fashion, you will be quicker, but this will at least give you a guide.

Then, take your materials cost x 2. then dependent on how much time it takes you, (say 10-20 minutes) to assemble the bow, figure out your time cost. (I figure my hourly rate base as $20/hour)

So, say your materials cost is $1 x 2 = $2
Time 15 min @ $20/hr = $5
Total retail = $7
NOW, since you will be making over 180 bows, you can offer a discount since assembly line fashion with cut your time down, so you can round down to say $5-$6
These are my calculations, figuring on the bigger cheer bows I have seen. I don't personally make them, so use your own judgement, this is just a basic guideline I use.
HTH
Old 10-23-2010, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by korker2010 View Post
I'm not really good at giving quotes so I won't be able to help you much but like you said you don't want to be working for nothing. I would give them a reasonable price and remind them that they will be paying for quality as well and they won't fall apart like the other ones.
That's a very good point. I'm just starting out with bows but it amazes me how some people think something is quality when it's really CRAPPY! I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm always afraid someone isn't going to like what I made/gave them so I try to go the extra 10 miles, but in reality it's always better than anything they would have gotten from anyone else.

As far as quotes, I would say not less than $5 per bow since the girls probably pay for them themselves. $5 is nothing really, especially if it's going to get them through the entire season. People also don't realize how expensive supplies are.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:23
zoesmommy27

Yes they are paid for now by parents but its a whole bundle. i paid 60.00 which got me a pair of black cotton shorts with a screen print and a matching top, sneakers, socks and a cheap drawstring bag and the bow. So i dont know how much was allotted for each thing. I know i look online and see them anywhere from 7.00-12.00 a bow, but then again 180 are alot of bows. i was thinking 6.00 myself a bow, but wanted some input.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesmommy27 View Post
We have a cheer team that is about 180 girls. They love my bows as the ones they have this year just are all falling apart. they are going to approach me about making them next year, right now they are three layer of ribbon, two loop tails hanging down bows. simple. how much would you quote. i dont want to over quote and not get the job but also dont want to be working for nothing...
When you say simple, is that like a straight grosgrain (maybe a layer or two)? I normally start a standard 2 1/4" grosgrain bow at $4.00. For each layer, I add $1.00.

If working with sequin or spandex, my flat rate, one color sequin 2 1/4" bow would start at $9.00 minimum. Each additional layer I add with sequins in $2.00 more. That normally covers my supplies and time.

I would not get into a per bow discount myself. I would give a discount on the entire total of the order. Maybe start at 5% for an order of $200 10% for $500 or more. That way, you're still making money, your gym is still getting a great deal, but you're not giving your product away.

That is just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:21

In my area I do the bows for our youth football program. I charge them $6.00 a bow. But they are not your typical cheer bow. Another league close by has cheer bows and they are paying $15.00 a bow and I have been told they fall apart. Plus they do not heat seal the ends of the bows. It drives me absolutely crazy when we are at a game or a cheer competition and I see bows are not heat sealed or falling apart!! I am sure I did not help you but I had to share my experience.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMeadowW View Post
In my area I do the bows for our youth football program. I charge them $6.00 a bow. But they are not your typical cheer bow. Another league close by has cheer bows and they are paying $15.00 a bow and I have been told they fall apart. Plus they do not heat seal the ends of the bows. It drives me absolutely crazy when we are at a game or a cheer competition and I see bows are not heat sealed or falling apart!! I am sure I did not help you but I had to share my experience.
What you describe is why I started making bows myself. I was always fixing bows my DD came home with.

Ugh....what a mess some of them were. There were times she just brought home a length of ribbon to tie in her hair and we paid $5.00 for that. I was like are you kidding me?????
Old 10-26-2010, 11:20
zoesmommy27

yeah these are three color ribbon, a 1 1/2 inch piece, a inch and then maybe a 7/8 inch. two loops with two tails, v cut at the end. attached to a pony
Old 10-26-2010, 01:25

I did some bows for a cheer squad a few weeks ago; I did 25 bows at $5 each. I kinda wish I'd charged a little more because I had to special order the ribbon and it's not some I could use in other stuff.

I think anywhere from $5-8 is reasonable, depending on how much time you put into it.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg