http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-18-2010, 02:08

Default Is there a market for bows for Dogs?

Hi all! I recently attended a large craft show in my hometown- It was a 3 day outside fair. I could not believe how well we did! But it seemed like I had several people that were inquiring about bows for thier dogs. I had never thought of that. I actually had a few ladies buy my hard headbands- I think they were going to attach them to the dogs collars for pictures! I worked as a vet assistant for years and I have connections as far as groomers are concerned. My question is... Do you all think that there would be a good market for dog bows? I have called a few of the groomers that I know today and I'm waiting on calls back. I was thinking about wholesaling them to groomers. I have no idea on the pricing but I just thought that I'd throw my thoughts out there! People are crazy about making their dogs look good in my town! I don't understand it! But I have always had male dogs that are HUGE golden retrievers! I have never had a smaller dog like a poodle or a maltese! But I know that I do take my dogs in for grooming frequently- bath and trimming and the groomer always puts a bow on his collar... even if it's just a bow to match the season or upcoming holidays. Once, I took my dog in to be groomed the day before my scheduled induction with my first born and they put a bow that said "welcome, baby!" on his collar... I thought that was cool! But I'm not crazy about bows on my boy dogs... but I think the smaller dogs with bows are cute. Any thoughts on marketing, pricing, or if this is really worth my time?
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 02:13

Default Re: Is there a market for bows for Dogs?

I had a lady look at my facebook page and ask if I could make some bows for her dogs. I guess there is a market for it! I never dressed up my dogs, but I know a ton of people who do. It wouldn't hurt to try. I am actually thinking of setting up a table with bows at the dog festival next summer.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18

Good idea for the dog festival! I'm really big on charity work and animal charities- we always get our dogs from local shelters or Golden Retriever Rescues. I'm thinking that if there is a market for this, maybe I could donate bows to our rescue that we are loyal to and maybe the shelter to help spice up the adoption photos and find these dogs great homes... But I would have to make some money on them from other avenues to fund my donations! Not really sure how to go about all of this.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:50

I don't know if there is a market or not, but personally, I think it would be a great idea. People go crazy over their dogs!

Good luck!

Debora

Last edited by Debora; 10-18-2010 at 02:50. Reason: forgot word
Old 10-18-2010, 03:01

Yes there is a market...not as big as girl bows for sure. But you really talking about two different markets and price points. I own a dog grooming supply boutique company and supply groomers bows and we also have a retail side of our business. The price point for groomers and pet owners are very different. Many many many groomers make their own bows but there are plenty that buy them and there are lots of dog bow maker just like little girl bow makers :-) Most bows sold to dog owners are purchased at dog boutiques etc....do research on dog bows and dog show bows and you'll easily find your competition and be able to see price points. Dog grooming bows are readily available too and are typically purchased in packs of 25-100. HTH
Old 10-18-2010, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by petliks View Post
Yes there is a market...not as big as girl bows for sure. But you really talking about two different markets and price points. I own a dog grooming supply boutique company and supply groomers bows and we also have a retail side of our business. The price point for groomers and pet owners are very different. Many many many groomers make their own bows but there are plenty that buy them and there are lots of dog bow maker just like little girl bow makers :-) Most bows sold to dog owners are purchased at dog boutiques etc....do research on dog bows and dog show bows and you'll easily find your competition and be able to see price points. Dog grooming bows are readily available too and are typically purchased in packs of 25-100. HTH
Thanks for the info! That's great stuff! Now I'm getting syked about this. I wonder if the doggie bow makers sell bows attached to a rubberband or if it's on a plastic clip... I'm going to have to research it but thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!
Stephanie
Old 10-18-2010, 03:35

I would say definitely yes. If you could have seen the dog I saw the other day. He was a tiny little thing & had on an outfit, gold blinged collar & john lennon type sunglasses. Yes he was actually wearing the sunglasses. Never seen anything like it.
My grandfather even puts clothes on his little dog. Never thought I would see the day. He carries her around in a shoulder bag type thing dressed in a leather jacket. If he will do this anyone will do it.
Beth
Old 10-18-2010, 04:04

Groomers use latex bands either sewn on or tied with....Do your research on barrettes....many show bow/dog bow makers use tiny french clips. We don't we found a different style that works better for my clients both retail and groomers. Cheap dog bows from petedge (not know for high quality) usually have plastic barrettes that don't hold well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satkins View Post
Thanks for the info! That's great stuff! Now I'm getting syked about this. I wonder if the doggie bow makers sell bows attached to a rubberband or if it's on a plastic clip... I'm going to have to research it but thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!
Stephanie
Old 10-18-2010, 04:13

I make and sell dog bows at my dog grooming spa and boutique...

If a groomer is using bows on the female dogs they typically get cheapr bows that really only last the client for one-two days (the bow gets ratty and people take it out...if the bow stays fresh then the client leaves it in forever and the dog returns with a big mat attached to a bow...)

I also buy 100 for $22, small elastic for easy attachment...typically bery stiff ribbon that frays easily...

Now for retail bows...small about 2" is the favorite size, I use a french barrette, red, pink and purple are my #1 colours...

Look up yorkie show bows and they will give you an idea of what people really like...they are handsewn and stiffened.

Call groomers with dog boutiques, some will only buy maybe 24 or so to see how vclients react...I find that clients will buy one...but not often more then that because they have already dropped $50+ for just the grooming...but those who buy for their dogs are big time repeat clients.

Also look at independently owned dog boutiques. Vet usually do not carry too much fou-fou retail...

Old 10-18-2010, 04:55

Funny because I started out with making show bows for dogs since I was showing my yorkie and I had several people ask me to do some for their kids which were Jr. Handlers so that is how I got into making girly bows. I love doing doggie bows, espeically the show ones, people don't blink an eye to pay $12 to $15 at shows.
Sponsored Links