New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-17-2010, 07:18

Default Separating ribbon in a loopy bow?

I spent over 2 hours trying to make a loopy bow this afternoon. It seems to look ok but the minute I try to separate the ribbons to make it look nice and full (instead of all of the ribbons being lined up in row), they go right back to hiding under one another.

What should I be doing to make them stand apart? I really have no clue with this

Please help
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 10-17-2010, 07:51

Default Re: Separating ribbon in a loopy bow?

I ALWAYS ran into that problem!!! To help the ones you've already done, pull the loops CRAZY-HARD-FAR apart; then twist each one around at least 180 degrees. Tracking? If it will stay like that (not pretty, I know) let it sit for a few hours, or over night. Then you can untwist the loops and try shaping it how you want... I'd definitely starch or spray it if it looks like it'll keep the shape long enough for it to dry.

Are you wrapping it to the clip? Using thread or wire? For thread, you might could dampen the thread some and then try tugging the loops apart and shaping your bow. The problem (at least for me) was that I was wrapping my ribbon too tight, thinking it would make it more secure. SO- the last ones I made, I didn't wrap SO tightly initially. Then I pulled my loops apart (making sure they were apart at the base- closest to the clip); not really shaping it yet. THEN I re-wrapped the whole thing TIGHTLY, making sure to keep the loops apart. Then shaped the bow. If it looked good, I'd hot glue the FIRE out of the back of the clip, before I finished lining it. I only made these on french clips, and only for dd; so if the back of the clip was a little lumpy I let it go... it's hard to see anyway with the tension bar in place.

SO... there's my novel on trying to get a decent loopy bow. Sorry it's so long, but I hope it helped at least a little!

MK
Old 10-18-2010, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmedeal View Post
I ALWAYS ran into that problem!!! To help the ones you've already done, pull the loops CRAZY-HARD-FAR apart; then twist each one around at least 180 degrees. Tracking? If it will stay like that (not pretty, I know) let it sit for a few hours, or over night. Then you can untwist the loops and try shaping it how you want... I'd definitely starch or spray it if it looks like it'll keep the shape long enough for it to dry.

Are you wrapping it to the clip? Using thread or wire? For thread, you might could dampen the thread some and then try tugging the loops apart and shaping your bow. The problem (at least for me) was that I was wrapping my ribbon too tight, thinking it would make it more secure. SO- the last ones I made, I didn't wrap SO tightly initially. Then I pulled my loops apart (making sure they were apart at the base- closest to the clip); not really shaping it yet. THEN I re-wrapped the whole thing TIGHTLY, making sure to keep the loops apart. Then shaped the bow. If it looked good, I'd hot glue the FIRE out of the back of the clip, before I finished lining it. I only made these on french clips, and only for dd; so if the back of the clip was a little lumpy I let it go... it's hard to see anyway with the tension bar in place.

SO... there's my novel on trying to get a decent loopy bow. Sorry it's so long, but I hope it helped at least a little!

MK
No need to apologize lol! I need all the help I can get

This is what the bottom looks like..

Is this what it should look like from the side?

I tried pulling the loops on the one I did but I can't get them to turn 180 degrees (maybe I wrapped it too tightly?) I did use thread to wrap it to the barrette.

Does it look right to you? Is this what it's supposed to look like? As soon as I took the photo and picked it back up, they all scooted back in line behind one another

I'll try separating them again.

What should I spray it with? I've never done that before. Thank goodness I only make these for my granddaughter! lol I'd never be able to mass produce these!

((Thanks for all your help ))
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00

((bump))
Old 10-19-2010, 08:23

Can someone please help me with this?

Pretty please?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:21

It looks perfectly constructed to me. It must be the tightness of the wrap and/ or the way the ribbon is pinched where it's wrapped. I thought that if you used a natural fiber thread (not dental floss or fishing line) maybe if you wet it, it may have a little "give" and you could seperate the loops a little at the base.
If you aren't afraid of ruining it, you could also use some tweezers or something and try tugging the loops out of each other down at the base on both sides of the thread. Do you see what I mean about where they're pinched? I don't know what to do about the pinching, other than wrapping looser.
When I said to spray it when it would hold its shape for a little while, I meant with starch or hairspray. I have never done it, but you can use the search function... it seems like there's a discussion about that every few weeks.
I went in search of one of mine and the camera, yesterday; and got sidetracked... I'll try again today. Maybe I can use mine to figure out what I was doing wrong...
I hope this helps some.... I'll be off and on all the day.... I really should be getting some things done... BESIDES singing, dancing, and reading with the DS. Oh well, some of us have it like that... yay, me!!! LOL!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:46

Quote:
It looks perfectly constructed to me. It must be the tightness of the wrap and/ or the way the ribbon is pinched where it's wrapped. I thought that if you used a natural fiber thread (not dental floss or fishing line) maybe if you wet it, it may have a little "give" and you could seperate the loops a little at the base.
If you aren't afraid of ruining it, you could also use some tweezers or something and try tugging the loops out of each other down at the base on both sides of the thread. Do you see what I mean about where they're pinched? I don't know what to do about the pinching, other than wrapping looser.
When I said to spray it when it would hold its shape for a little while, I meant with starch or hairspray. I have never done it, but you can use the search function... it seems like there's a discussion about that every few weeks.
I went in search of one of mine and the camera, yesterday; and got sidetracked... I'll try again today. Maybe I can use mine to figure out what I was doing wrong...
I hope this helps some.... I'll be off and on all the day.... I really should be getting some things done... BESIDES singing, dancing, and reading with the DS. Oh well, some of us have it like that... yay, me!!! LOL!

I did use thread but I guess I wrapped too tightly? I'll see if I can fix it where they are pinched.
Thanks so much mkmedeal ~ I really appreciate your help I look forward to seeing your pics!
(And I totally hear you about all the activities! )
Old 10-19-2010, 11:41

What I do to keep them separated is when you get them spread apart, use needle and thread (can be thin so you don't see it but it will still hold) and pull it through the ribbon closest to the metal. It doesn't seem like it will do much but it saves me a lot of time from REseparating on the really thin ribbon. Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyexpressions View Post
What I do to keep them separated is when you get them spread apart, use needle and thread (can be thin so you don't see it but it will still hold) and pull it through the ribbon closest to the metal. It doesn't seem like it will do much but it saves me a lot of time from REseparating on the really thin ribbon. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for your help I will try your suggestion later tonight!

(and welcome to the forum!)
Old 10-21-2010, 11:42

Quote:
mk, I was wondering if you've had a chance to take some pics yet? I'm really looking forward to seeing them
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies