New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:52

Default Re: Double layered tutu

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2girlies2029 View Post
No wonder tutus are so pricey! That is a lot of tulle!!!

No, it's not off a bolt of tulle , it's on a roll like a spool of thread. So it's 50 yards long, but not the 54" or 108" wide like off of a bolt . Your thinking of using a bolt of tulle, yes that would be a whole lot of tulle. You can find the spools of tulle any where from $2.00 to $4.00. If you sign up for Michale's or Joann's emails you get coupons, for 40% off one regular priced item at Michale's and 50% off one regular priced item at Joann's. This will help keep cost down for you too.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2012, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisstutu View Post
I have had a few ask about a tutorial. I can do one but would anyone be interested?

I have 3 different styles that I offer. I would include all 3 with step by step photos.

I would be very interested in a tutorial! The only ones I can find online want you to pay for them.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisstutu View Post
I am currently working on a tut! It is the first one I have ever made. Not as easy as I thought

I hope to have it finished this weekend. I will post it as soon as possible. I am including a little video clip in it as well. I am such a visual person and I want to make sure everyone can follow it easily.

Thank you all so much for the nice words. I did have my craft show. Boy, what an experience!!! I was so stressed going in. It was a rather small show but did very well. I also booked a tutu party, which I had never thought of! It was an idea of the lady who booked the party. I have to say, I think there is a whole new business there!

How do you get the look of the blue, white and black one? I have been trying to make them for my daughter but they just are not coming out right.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:48

Hi everybody.

I make layered tutus (3 layers), but I sew mine.

There's roughly 125yds of 6" tulle in one of these.

The ones pictured have layers of 10", 12" and the longest one is 15". Are made to fit a 3-5 year old - but it all depends on their height.

I sell these at local markets for $45.

I'm happy to post instructions if anybody is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pink Layered.jpg (26.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg CARNIVALE.jpg (31.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg TRIPLE DELIGHT.jpg (29.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:06

That will be great!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidi View Post
You need to use the up and down method.
Take your first colour tulle and knot using a slip knot.
Turn the elastic round so the first knot is now facing up.
Take the 2nd colour tulle and knot again using a slip knot, you will now have the first colour facing up and the 2nd facing down.
Turn again and repeat.
You will finish with one colour on the bottom and one on the top.
When its complete just pull the upper layer down and you have a double layered tutu.
I use one piece of tulle at a time and pack as much tulle on as I can for a really full tutu.
Hope that helps!

Thanks! I could never figure it out on my own!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:57

So here's my instructions on how to make a sewn triple layered tutu.

1. Cut your tulle strips into desired lengths. I cut 60 x 10", 12" and 15" lengths. (Don't forget to double your length so you can fold your tulle in half - so the 10" length would be cut at 20" and so on). You should use roughly 125 yards of tulle for this length tutu.

2. Fold and iron tulle strips in half so the finished length of the strip is now 10", 12" and 15".

3. Arrange your tulle strips on top of each other so that they go 15", 12", 10", 15", 12", 10" and so on.

4. Work out how wide your elastic is as that will be how far you need to sew in from the folded edge of your tulle strips. Feed your tulle strips through the sewing machine as you sew a straight line along the folded edge of your tulle strips. You will have a big pile of tulle strips all joined together when you have finished.

5. Cut your elastic to the desired waist width. For a 4-5 year old I have my elastic waists at 21". Thread your elastic through the tulle strips. Don't forget to put a pin at the end of your elastic so that the tulle doesn't slip off. If you do 180 strips like I do (60 of each layer) you will find that the tulle needs to be bunched up nice and tight along the elastic. Just keep shuffling the tulle along until you get it all onto your elastic.

6. With a zig-zag stitch sew your elastic together. Then re-arrange the tulle strips so that they cover the join in the elastic.

7. Lay your tutu out flat and go around parting each layer. I usually start by pulling the longest layer out first, separating it from the other two layers. Pull the longest layer upwards towards the middle of the tutu and leave it there. Now flip the tutu over, try and lay the tulle strips of the longest layer out flat and then start on the other two layers. Pull the shortest layer (10") strips upwards towards the waistband and bunch them up. Then go around and do the same with the next layer (12"). Then pull each 12" strip back down, laying it on top of the 15" strip and then pull the 10" strip down on top of the 12" strip forming your layers.

8. Once you have your layers sorted you can go around and fluff out the tutu. Do this layer by layer. Start with the short layer and fluff it out by pulling the two strips upwards to the waistband and separating them (pulling one end up and the other end down). This will separate and fluff them out. Gently push the short layer upwards to the middle of the tutu so you can then get to the next layer. Then go around and fluff out the next layer (12") by parting the two strips - pulling one end towards the waistband and the other downwards. Gently push that layer towards the middle of the tutu on top of the 10" layer so you can get to the last layer to fluff it out.

9. When all layers are fluffed out gently push the top two layers back down onto the bottom layer and play around with them until you have all your layers correctly defined.

10. The fluffing out is the painful part, but this is what defines your layers.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27

Thank you so much.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:57

Great directions, thanks a lot! Your tutu's are beautiful.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies