New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:41

Question Help! Zebra cheer bow bonding issues...

hey there,
I need a little help with a cheer bow. I purchased some new zebra ribbon from a different retailer than usual. It looks like they had their own pattern printed onto solid ribbon, because it's like no other zebra i've worked with (and I thought I had tried everyone's!). The problem that i'm having is this: it's printed on white ribbon, which nixes using E6000, because I can see the lines of glue clearly through theribon. iI've tried HnB lite, but...IT'S NOT STICKING!!! OMG! What's the problem with this dang ribbon? It peeled right off the solid offray. I have a strong feeling the zebra is printed on YAMA ribbon, it's soft, pliable and smooth feeling - just like YAMA. I don't want to use HnB ultra, because I have another sequin layer to glue on top of the zebra, and am afraid that it will be near impossible to fold then... If you make cheer bows, you know what I mean, like so stiff your fingers hurt after making 2 or 3!
thanks so much for your input, my brain is fried right now.
Did I say I love making these bows?? I do, I really do!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52

Default Re: Help! Zebra cheer bow bonding issues...

Did you try ironing the backside and leaving the iron on a little longer - don't turn the heat up just leave on for 15-18 seconds vs. 10-12 seconds.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:38

On all my cheer bows i sew the layers in place using invisible thread and straight stitch o on my machine HTH

If your gonna be so quick to invoice! Be Quick to SHIP! - EXPECT HONEST FEEDBACK FROM ME!!!
& Dont worry, Retaliatory Feedback DOESNT SCARE ME!!! Im a Buyer NOT a seller! Just Sayin!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:31

thanks for the help, I ironed it a little longer before I asked, but still wasn't sticking too well. I ended up using heat n bond ultra and it works just fine! (although makes folding very tough) I appreciate the input, i'll post pictures when I get my camera working.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:09

I made one for my daughter for soccer and I found that heat n bond made it to stiff to fold so I tried fabric tac and it was easier to fold but don't add a lot or u will see the glue marks.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
thanks for the help, I ironed it a little longer before I asked, but still wasn't sticking too well. I ended up using heat n bond ultra and it works just fine! (although makes folding very tough) I appreciate the input, i'll post pictures when I get my camera working.
It's funny, I almost think I know exactly which zebra ribbon you're talking about. I bought some from RABOM. It was very flexible, and had a different feel to it. Unlike Schiff ribbon. I ended up using hot glue, but I had another sequin layer to put over that.

In a perfect world, ribbon companies would use the same brand ribbon they always do so that you know what you're getting when it comes in. Too bad it never quite works out that way.

Sorry to hear you had such problems, but glad they worked out.

Ann
Old 12-17-2010, 09:24

It will definitely be too stiff with 3 layers.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCheerBows View Post
It will definitely be too stiff with 3 layers.
JCB,
It ended up being stiff, but that's never been a bad thing with the coaches or girls, just a little stiff to fold. This is the same 3" bow that I posted on cheer bows overload II, it's the zebra w red sequin on blk base. Worked out great!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:00

I make lots of layered cheer bows and I always use fabric tack. It works awesome..just so you know for the future.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:22

I've never tried it, I know Pia has mentioned it to me before. I knew these bows were going to finish the season at Nationals (or so we hoped! And they did!), and didn't have time or extra zebra ribbon to try something new. Plus, I HATE when you can see glue marks through white ribbon or fabric. It happens, and doesn't seem to bother the large cheer bow companies (PB and UB), but I try to avoid it whenever possible. I had some smears of the zebra as it was, and ended up tying some of the bows a little differently to manage it. I have permanent zebra print imbedded in my ironing board, too. Don't think I'll be buying that company's zebra again although someone like Venus needs to make 2" or 2.25" zebra! Thick zebra that doesnt look like tiger is very hard to find.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg

Tags
bonding, cheer bow, cheer bows, glue, zebra