150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-13-2010, 02:32

Default Can we talk diaper cakes?

I'm attempting to make a couple of diaper cakes, if for nothing else to add a little something different and interest to my display space. I've watched a few youtube videos and understand the basics of doing it. I was doing the rolled diaper method with rubber bands. One video I watched after he had the layer put together (yes, i said he. lol), he retied around it with string and removed all the rubber bands off the individual diapers. Is this how everyone does it? I just assumed all the rubber bands would stay on.

Also for packaging, I found some plain round cardboard cake separators at walmart, but they are brown around the edge. Is there a better place to find the round cardboard to put the "cake" on? I've seen pictures of of other cakes with a scalloped board underneath. I looked at Hobby Lobby one time as well, and can't remember if they had anything different. And lastly, to wrap it I was wanting to use cellophane. I didn't find any at walmart, but I looked at Hobby Lobby the last time I was in the city and couldn't decide what it was I needed. They had the shrink wrap kind, but I don't want to shrink wrap it, just gather and tie it with a big bow. They had some other cellophane with the wrapping paper, but it was really thin. There was a roll open and it was already ripped. I want some that is more substantial. Do you just buy the shrink wrap type and just gather it? I thought maybe it was thicker. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:37

Default Re: Can we talk diaper cakes?

I just use 4 rolled diapers in the center and them wrap the rest of the diapers around it. I use an 8" pie pan so they don't fly all over the place. I just put a big rubber band around that. They are packed pretty tight. When I put the base I usually take foam and glue any pretty paper I have handy.

The ones i have made I don't ship out so I can't help you out with the cellophane question.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:43

I roll them and use 1 band per 8 diapers.then you can tie it with string and remove the band depending on what size tier you want. You also can use blankets and use a diaper pin to hold it together.I also make dolls out of them.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:59

I remove the bands after I tie the ribbon around. I also like to wrap them in receiving blankets...so they look like fondant...

http://picasaweb.google.com/mckenjs/...eat=directlink

For a base, you can just cut a cardboard circle from a box (diaper boxes work great) and wrap it in paper or foil. There are some directions on the wilton's site: http://www.wilton.com/decorating/cak...fanci-foil.cfm

Hope this helps

All of my tutorials are now available through my etsy store.

Check out my Tutorial Album on Picasa.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:16

I can't help you with any ideas but I just want to say those diaper cakes are beautiful!!!!

~Michelle
Old 10-13-2010, 04:34

You can probably ask the bakeries to sell you some scalloped cardboard because it they use it for their cakes.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:35

I used to make diaper cakes and would LOVE to get back into it! I will have to keep an eye on this thread. I've never shipped a diaper cake, just made them for baby showers and gifts.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:14

i first roll all my diapers then put one big rubber band around the whole tier to hold it together, stack, then decorate. you can buy scalloped cardboard at michaels or party city. i buy the large gift basket bags (usually at the dollar tree) and just put the cake in the bag and tie it off with a nice bow. i dont know about the shipping because i have never shipped them. HTH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 067.jpg (17.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 069.jpg (18.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 071.jpg (22.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 086.jpg (25.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 091.jpg (26.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10

Thank you. I hadn't thought about those bags for gift baskets. I'll definitely have to check out the dollar tree. I don't have any intentions of mailing them either. I just wanted to put a couple in the stores that I sell at for something different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber11782 View Post
i first roll all my diapers then put one big rubber band around the whole tier to hold it together, stack, then decorate. you can buy scalloped cardboard at michaels or party city. i buy the large gift basket bags (usually at the dollar tree) and just put the cake in the bag and tie it off with a nice bow. i dont know about the shipping because i have never shipped them. HTH
Old 10-14-2010, 04:02

My sister and I are in business together, I make hair stuff and she makes diaper cakes and diaper wreaths... We are still getting our feet wet BUT we are having the hardest time selling our diaper gifts... At shows, we might sell a few... most people want them customized. We are thinking about doing that some how... taking custom orders. We have them priced pretty low too... We barely make anything after we buy all of the stuff for them. Maybe we should stop making them and try again in a few years! But I think they are super cute!
Stephanie
Sponsored Links