New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-14-2010, 04:15

Default Re: Can we talk diaper cakes?

The last diaper cake I made I use a cardboard shipping tube in the middle and placed rubber bands around each ring of diapers. I actually tape each one of the diapers to keep them rolled. Making the tube as tall as the cake kept it VERY sturdy. Also I capped the tube so the hostess could add other small gifts inside.

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/hairb...iapercake.html

Here is the link to the pics of mine!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 10-14-2010, 04:24

Wow! Very pretty and HUGE! I was using an empty paper towel spool in the middle. It seems to be pretty sturdy. I filled it with rolled diapers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsbymidge View Post
The last diaper cake I made I use a cardboard shipping tube in the middle and placed rubber bands around each ring of diapers. I actually tape each one of the diapers to keep them rolled. Making the tube as tall as the cake kept it VERY sturdy. Also I capped the tube so the hostess could add other small gifts inside.

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/hairb...iapercake.html

Here is the link to the pics of mine!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:24

i would love to try a diaper cake but I am not sure I could do it
Old 10-15-2010, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
Wow! Very pretty and HUGE! I was using an empty paper towel spool in the middle. It seems to be pretty sturdy. I filled it with rolled diapers.
It was for a centerpeice at a large baby shower for my cousin. I think it was right at 150-175 diapers when I was done!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:33

As far as something to set the cake on, I would also try the "wedding" section of dollar tree. I know mine had several different size round silver platters that work well.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44

I do not take my rubber bands off. No one can see them once it is put togather so I don't worry about it. No one has complained yet.

I do use cellophane wrap for my cakes and I do get it at wal-mart. It is in the craft/beads/ sewing aisle at my local store. It is right beside the cellophane gift bags and the shrink wrap stuff.
Col
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34

I use a large cake pan and place a soup can in the middle. Then I layer them around instead of rolling individual diapers. I tie the layer together before removing from the pan and make a roll of diapers to replace the soup can. I generally do 3 tiers and hold it all together with baby spoons tucked between. The cardboard got to be pricey so I use pizza pans from dollar tree... they just look like a silver tray. I wrap the entire cake with tulle and tie a bow at the top.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmommy574 View Post
I use a large cake pan and place a soup can in the middle. Then I layer them around instead of rolling individual diapers. I tie the layer together before removing from the pan and make a roll of diapers to replace the soup can. I generally do 3 tiers and hold it all together with baby spoons tucked between. The cardboard got to be pricey so I use pizza pans from dollar tree... they just look like a silver tray. I wrap the entire cake with tulle and tie a bow at the top.

Sounds like the way i do it....Ive made a daiper cake and a motorcycle one. My fav was the motorcycle one!! I guess bc it was different.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:45

I've only made a few diaper cakes for friends, but I didn't remove the rubber bands. I got a package of the tiny clear ones at wal-mart that had an obscene amount in it for $3 (I think it had 1000 in it but not sure). I'm too lazy to take all those things off!

Each tier I tie a receiving blanket or burp cloth around with a 3/8" grosgrain ribbon to hold it in place.

You can get the foil wrapped cake bases (about 1/2" thick) at any of the craft stores. There are 2 per package and they range in price from $5-$10 depending on what size you need, but if you use a 50% coupon they aren't too expensive. You should be able to find the scalloped cake circles at any of the major chains too. Wilton now makes a nice silver one that my local Wal-Mart even carries. Even if you can't find them you can wrap the brown ones in any pretty paper or in the silver cake foil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5733.jpg (48.9 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg