http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-12-2010, 09:25

Default Help a newbie out, Lot of questions....

My dd 9 and I wanted to start making hairbows. With everything else I went a little crazy. Probably have $300-400 in ribbon already. Not to mention the "easy bow making" tools I bought. Because I found out that I am seriously bow illiterate! LOL! I need a couple of things. I don't want to waste anymore money on things to make it easier. How did you all start? Did you need a template at first. I saw this kit, but it was like another $50 some dollars. It's actually an advertisment on here. It looks like it would be helpful. But do I need it? Does it really make it easy. Because I believe I do need easy lol!

Next thing one lady who makes them gave me a tip. Don't waste my money on fray check or a woodburning tool. She says the easiest way is to use the lighter. I envision myself burning lots of ribbon up this way. But is that the consensus?

I won't overwhelm you for now. But anymore tips you could share would be great. My dh thinks I am nuts and unless I start producing something great. I don't envision it going on much longer lol!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2010, 09:31

Default Re: Help a newbie out, Lot of questions....

I have never bought templates. I've bought a tutorial here & there, but mainly just practice practice practice! I sometimes use a lighter to seal my ends, but to get really neat v-cuts, etc. and to cut a LOT of ribbon at once, I use my woodburner, because it cuts & seals at once.

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:32

I have several bow templates, some I can do with out a template. You really need to feel the aters on what works well with you. On here, what works for others doesn;t work for some. You can you tube how to make templates aswell. I was not good at making my own.

I have a woodburner...10 bucks at walmart, but I do sculptures and Couldn't function without it. I use a lighter most of the time. You just have to learn that it takes a second for the ends to seal, thats it.

You just have dig in and alot is going to be trial and error, you will eventually learn what you are good at, and what you are not good at. Some of the craftiest peole on hr can't do a twisted bow, or some on the ones that can make bows in their sleep can't do other things.

I would try the template you have at first. Then maybge go to youtube, and try some techinques there. Then re evaluate...

If you use the serch buttom and look up BBM you will se what people say about this bow maker, again, it comes down to preference.

Holiday, Princess, ballet shoes.....

ALL PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:35

Lighters work just fine..I use them for my hair bows, I would just say do not use the lighter until after the flammable glue(if you use any) is dried otherwise that will cause a fire..Also it is not like your actually burning the ribbon you are going to wave the ribbon over the flame for a second so its the heat that seals it..Also check out the free tutorials..You can find them on hipgirlboutique or type it in google or yahoo search engine-make sure you mention free when searching..A lot of the tutorials have pictures so you can make sure everything looks right...Also they have some on youtube that you can actually watch and follow step by step.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47

I use both the lighter and wood burner --- just depends what I'm cutting and how many I am cutting. ... As for template - I use NoBowNoGos bow making template, but I only make one style bow ... HTH ... good luck
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18

When I first started out, I did buy all the templates, but I honestly did not like them. I practiced for months and finally was able to do a twisted boutique bow with out any templates. My advice would be use the free tutorials and just practice, practice, practice .

I use a wood burning tool and love it. I will sometimes use fray check for my korker bows though.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:49

When I first started making bows I just made them free hand. I now have the Brilliant bowmaker classic templates from Little Pink Ladybug (she is a HG) and I love them. I would say since you are just starting out, fugure out how to make them free hand and see if this is somethnig that you want to do. You can always purchase templates later.
Tried fraycheck and hated it. I use a lighter and love it!!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:13

Even with some templates it is work. I have the BBM and still couldn't master the twisted bow. I actually ended up making my own template from a youtube video and got it that way. I would say since you are starting out that you need to go with "FREE". Just so you dont have a bunc of money tied up in someting you dont want to do. Good luck to you!

Proud Member of the Bow Diamonds!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/BowDiamonds

Wholesale Page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/Serendipi...oriesWholesale
Old 10-12-2010, 12:30

There are tons of free tutorials on the internet. Start with those and practice practice. I actually think is was a year before I really look at my bow and said "that one looks good" Keep on and don't get discouraged
Old 10-13-2010, 01:29

You donīt have to spend so much money.... As many have said there are many tutorials around free really well explained. In my case as I said before.. I use the cheapest tool: a candle... I donīt have a wood burner, the lighter sometimes heat my finger and sometimes didnīt turn on at all. Actually today I was a little lazy and used the clear nail polish and Oh surprise! It went out great.
Templates? no no no... Is better to make them by your own spontaniously.. Suggestion: Practice...every time they well come out better and when you compare it to the first one you will just laugh...
Sponsored Links