New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-10-2010, 12:26

Default Problem with korkers

Hello All,

Just wanted to see how you tied your korkers as I am having trouble. I tried sewing through them and decided I wasn't the best at sewing. Now I am laying my thread down and lying all my ribbons in a row along the center and sort of tying them as fast as I can so that none of them slip out/move. It's hard to do that and tie them!! Am I missing something? Is there a knack to it?? I did see a site somewhere that a lady was using a cardboard box with slits in the side to pile up all the ribbon and tie it off.

I would love to hear what works for you and how you doe your korkers

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2010, 12:38

Default Re: Problem with korkers

Sorry i wish i could help you with the tying method but i sew mine. All i do is use a thicker needle and thread, slide all of my pieces onto the thread, stack them how i want them and then push the needle back through all of the pieces and then tie it off. I think i get nice and fluffy korkers this way. Hope someone can help you with tying!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/alyssa232007
Old 10-10-2010, 10:17

I was doing the tie method for the past year and have hated to make korkers lol I just recently tried the sewing like you do(sticking needle and thread thru each piec in middle then back thru two or three times and tyeing off) and it is wonderful. My korkers come out stacked the way I want them no slipping out & no hassle. This is so much easier I don't know why I didn't try this before. I made 60 korkers in 3 days this new way and before I was lucky to do one or two every three weeks lol .
Old 10-10-2010, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa23 View Post
Sorry i wish i could help you with the tying method but i sew mine. All i do is use a thicker needle and thread, slide all of my pieces onto the thread, stack them how i want them and then push the needle back through all of the pieces and then tie it off. I think i get nice and fluffy korkers this way. Hope someone can help you with tying!
This is how I do it as well. I find using a needle and thread really helps me fan them out the way I like. After adding a stitch or two, they stay in place and are quite secure.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23

I tie them but after I tie it the first time I put a little dot of hot glue and hold it for a minute or so then I make the knot...it holds my thread still so I can knot it...I might try to start sewing them after reading how easy and fast it is though!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:42

When I first started I tied, even bought a korker box, used elastic cord. My daughter was able to pull out the strands no matter how tight.

I sew mine. Get a good needle - I use a long embroidery type needle. I lay out in rows the colors I'm using. and go in a pattern putting the needle through the center - I do make sure that I go in the bottom of the curl and go around in a clockwise pattern. I'll make sure before I bring the thread through that there's no spaces and pull the needles with the thread (I thread my needle with upholstery thread pulling the thread through and tying the ends together so it's doubled). I go back down through the center, a block of wood or rotary mat is good to use to push the needle through if needed. Then go under the last ribbon strand a little and put the needle through to knot it off.

If you are set on tying and not sewing then invest in a korker box, check ebay.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
When I first started I tied, even bought a korker box, used elastic cord. My daughter was able to pull out the strands no matter how tight.

I sew mine. Get a good needle - I use a long embroidery type needle. I lay out in rows the colors I'm using. and go in a pattern putting the needle through the center - I do make sure that I go in the bottom of the curl and go around in a clockwise pattern. I'll make sure before I bring the thread through that there's no spaces and pull the needles with the thread (I thread my needle with upholstery thread pulling the thread through and tying the ends together so it's doubled). I go back down through the center, a block of wood or rotary mat is good to use to push the needle through if needed. Then go under the last ribbon strand a little and put the needle through to knot it off.

im new to korkers too. i hate tying because they can be easily pulled. i tried sewing but didnt like the end results. but after reading your post i think i might try again. thanks!!!
but how many korkers do you sew together? i use 36 for mine is that too many to sew?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:10

I sew my korkers too, but I hate trying to push the needle through the entire stack of korkers! I use bigger needles for this, as well as a hard self-healing mat to push the needle through. Sometimes my needle even bends. Does anyone have a specific type of needle that they recommend? A picture or link to one would be awesome!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:36

I tie my all the time. Then I pop a few stitches after that. I have carpell tunnel so the sewing method really bothers it. The thing with tying it is cut them 1/2 in shorter. So, if your making a 2.5 in kroker then cut it ar 2 in. They come out perfect almost everytime. You might have to trim here and there at times. IMO, I love to tye them. I like the look of them and they don't spiral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post

Old 10-10-2010, 02:38

what do you mean by they don't spiral? That may sound dumb but I don't get it lol (this is nothing new for me lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyladybug01 View Post
I tie my all the time. Then I pop a few stitches after that. I have carpell tunnel so the sewing method really bothers it. The thing with tying it is cut them 1/2 in shorter. So, if your making a 2.5 in kroker then cut it ar 2 in. They come out perfect almost everytime. You might have to trim here and there at times. IMO, I love to tye them. I like the look of them and they don't spiral.
I don't tie any more because I got some complaints that smaller girls were just pulling them apart and I didn't want to get a rep for shoddy quality. I sew like these other ladies have said they do. But when I did sew I made this little thing to help (I saw it on the instructions at the Ribbon Retreat so I can't take credit for the design). HTH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (36.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg photo-2.jpg (28.5 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links