printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-10-2010, 03:05

Default Re: Problem with korkers

I used to tie, but I had to stop when I would get so frustrated with it. I now sew them. I guess I don't have a great enough needle, I have to use plier like things to pull my needle up. And I have broken a few needles lol. But I like the sew method way better these days!
Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2010, 07:07

Great, thanks for all the advice. I guess I will be buying myself a heavy duty needle and using some elbow grease ......lol. About how many ribbons do you tend to use for a 'normal' size korker and a 'mini'?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:30

for the 3.5" korker I use 30-35 3" pieces really depends on what I'm using, it's kind of until it looks right

for a 2.5" korker I use 20-25 2"

I don't know what you consider mini though.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03

I make mini Korkers and I have even made bigger korkers this way too. I found it on here. You take an alligator clip and secure it to both ends of the korker. Pull it out flat. Pull the one out that you want to go next the same way. Place a dot of glue on the bottom one and place the second one on top in the shape of a cross. when glued both pieces make a cross. You continue this all of the way filling holes until you have the desired amount of korkers. This works for me. They don't come off. The only thing that I have ran into sometimes its hard to make them fluff up, but if you work with them they will eventually.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasbowtique View Post
I make mini Korkers and I have even made bigger korkers this way too. I found it on here. You take an alligator clip and secure it to both ends of the korker. Pull it out flat. Pull the one out that you want to go next the same way. Place a dot of glue on the bottom one and place the second one on top in the shape of a cross. when glued both pieces make a cross. You continue this all of the way filling holes until you have the desired amount of korkers. This works for me. They don't come off. The only thing that I have ran into sometimes its hard to make them fluff up, but if you work with them they will eventually.
Just checking to see if I read your post right. You glue each piece to eachother for the whole thing or just to get started?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11

I use a regular old needle...doesnt have to be expensive. While I have broken a few needles before this method, this is what I have found works the best:

thread the korkers. Pull all the way up. When you come back down through the layers, I place the needle down and push a little through the first few layers. Then I take my pliers and push down onto a box top or something hard, just enough (not too hard) so that I feel it hit the box. Then I remove the box and place on a pillow (which is usually on my lap because I do them in bad with DH at night ) The needle is still facing down at this point and I hold the pliers with the needle and push hard through the pillow so the needle goes into the pillow. After this I pull the korker right side up and continue to pull the needle out with the pliers! Works like a charm!!!

Hope this makes sense, I am terrible at explaining things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferM View Post
I used to tie, but I had to stop when I would get so frustrated with it. I now sew them. I guess I don't have a great enough needle, I have to use plier like things to pull my needle up. And I have broken a few needles lol. But I like the sew method way better these days!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00

I recently just started and i was sewing them but i didn't like doing all that plus didn't like seeing the knot in the center so i just glue each peice together and they look just as good as when i sewed them n it seems less time consuming..
Old 10-12-2010, 09:21

HG has a tut for mini-korkers that only uses glue ~
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11

I tie but may start to sew after reading the girls comments, lol! I actually take a 3.5 x 2.5 in box (like bracelets come in) cut a slit along each side and slide my elastic throught, than stack the korkers inside and tie them off. I just gave one to my niece (she's 2) and she did pull a few out so I think I will try the sewing method to see if that's better or the same for her. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
HG has a tut for mini-korkers that only uses glue ~
Wow who knew!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies