ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-07-2010, 07:38

Default How to add fabric loops and marabou please?

I'm trying to add loops and marabou to a bow I made back in July because it looks rather weak and could use some poofing up. (It looks blah which is probably why I didn't give it to my granddaughter back then). I've never really done this before, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Can someone please tell me... how do I secure the loops together? Do I just fold them over and sew the ends? Is gluing better?

After I've made the loops, how do I add them to the bow?

Thanks for any help you can offer me
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52

Default Re: How to add fabric loops and marabou please?

Someone posted this a while back for the loop surrounds. How to make Surrounding Loops(2).pdf
As for the marabou, I make a circle with it pinching in the middle like I would a bow and glue it in the center of the bow. Then I sew around mine. Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylading View Post
Someone posted this a while back for the loop surrounds. Attachment 52771
As for the marabou, I make a circle with it pinching in the middle like I would a bow and glue it in the center of the bow. Then I sew around mine. Hope this helps.
Mary, this is a great help ~ thank you!

I'll try your suggestion with the marabou (so far, mine just hasn't looked right). Wish me luck

I was wondering, I also wanted to add in folded over loops (you know, 1 piece of ribbon folded in half) to fill in the sparser areas but it's just not working for me. Do you have any suggestions for me on how best to do this?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07

Read thru this post, they have a lot of great suggestions for the type of bow you are talking about!
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-m...his-style.html
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBowsUnlimited View Post
Read thru this post, they have a lot of great suggestions for the type of bow you are talking about!
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-m...his-style.html
Thanks for the link Dog I'll have to go back and re-read it (I have already posted in that thread) because I must've missed something
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a different kind of bow. For the funky loopy one I take a piece of ribbon and fold it in half. I sew mine so that it doesn't slip. Go up through the bottom of the ribbon where its folded in half and the go around the ribbon like you do for the rest of it. I haven't put marabou in this kind yet but I think you would do it the same way. I think the picture of that one in the link was actually glued in. Hopefully, I'm explaining this where you can understand it.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:12

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you were talking about a different kind of bow. For the funky loopy one I take a piece of ribbon and fold it in half. I sew mine so that it doesn't slip. Go up through the bottom of the ribbon where its folded in half and the go around the ribbon like you do for the rest of it. I haven't put marabou in this kind yet but I think you would do it the same way. I think the picture of that one in the link was actually glued in. Hopefully, I'm explaining this where you can understand it.
Mary, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it I'm going to try your suggestions :-)

I've been having the worst morning so far ~ I put my glasses down on the table, picked up the glue gun and somehow... drizzled glue all over them!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52

Quote:
Well, I wasn't too successful, but I'm going to try it again. I think maybe my loopy bow doesn't have enough of the actual ribbon part in it?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:26

I usually add the extras as I'm making it. You make your loop, I usually take a stitch through it then wrap around like the instructions say. Then I add some spikeys or ric rac next. I add several pieces then do my next loop etc.
When you're completely done you can even cut some of the loops to add more funkiness...I'm probably not explaining real clear. I hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:09

Quote:
I usually add the extras as I'm making it. You make your loop, I usually take a stitch through it then wrap around like the instructions say. Then I add some spikeys or ric rac next. I add several pieces then do my next loop etc.
When you're completely done you can even cut some of the loops to add more funkiness...I'm probably not explaining real clear. I hope this helps.
Mary, you've been so helpful. I wish I could better visualize what you're saying tho (MY fault, definitely).

Thanks so much for your suggestions