http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-23-2010, 11:51

Default Starching Bows

Ok so last night I made a hair bow and starched it and baked. It was my first time doing this and the red ribbon faded onto my white. Any ideas on why this happened or if I did something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59

Default Re: Starching Bows

I've had that happen to me with red and white polka dot ribbon when making korkers. When you bake ribbon that might tend to bleed (red w/ white polka dots is a big offender), you need to lower your oven temp. I usually starch bows my bows and bake at 250 degrees for 25 minutes; however, with ribbon like this, I'll lower it to 225 degrees for 25 minutes. Solves the problem for me. HTH.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:19

Do the bow in layers. It won't bleed that way.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:31

The very first time (and only time) I baked bows they bled EVERYWHERE....all different colors. I had to redo almost a whole order. Now, I spray starch on them and use a blowdryer on low to dry them. It is easy and fast!! It takes just a few minutes.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post
The very first time (and only time) I baked bows they bled EVERYWHERE....all different colors. I had to redo almost a whole order. Now, I spray starch on them and use a blowdryer on low to dry them. It is easy and fast!! It takes just a few minutes.
Really?! What kind of ribbon were you using? I sometimes leave them in longer and even at higher temps, I rarely have a bleeding problem (other than darker colors with white polka dots).
Old 09-23-2010, 12:51

Thanks so much ladies. I will try that. I was just dissapointed since this was for a customer.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13

i've had that happen with certain colors. i tend to avoid baking my spikes for that reason, but i've found that if you still want that baked feel, without the bleeding, turn off your oven then pop whatever you want baked in for a few minutes and it gives the same effect without the bleeding...i had stopped baking my spikes but hated how they just never seemed stiff enough just starching the heck out of them, and tried this and it was great!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
Really?! What kind of ribbon were you using? I sometimes leave them in longer and even at higher temps, I rarely have a bleeding problem (other than darker colors with white polka dots).
It was Schiff grosgrain. I don't remember all of the colors now since it was like months ago.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:23

Any ribbon with a print (including zebra and dots) I bake at 200 for 30 minutes...once I forgot them in the oven for 1 hour. They didn't bleed and wasn't crunchy...they were perfect.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post
It was Schiff grosgrain. I don't remember all of the colors now since it was like months ago.
I use Schiff, too. Oh well, at least you found a method that works
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg