Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-20-2010, 10:52
ksterling628

Default Re: Help! My products are coming apart

Do you ladies have a recommendation on a good corded as well as cordless gun?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 09-20-2010, 11:11

I buy my corded hot glue gun at HL - it's like 5.99, so nothing fancy, but it has a skinnier tip that is useful for those small projects. I usually end up replacing it every couple of months because I use it so much and it gets all gunky.... but for $6 (or less with a 40% off coupon) it has been well worth it for me. I tried buying a "nice" expensive gun and ended up going back to the cheapo from HL!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:26

I swear by Fabri Tac, but not to line clips. The makers, Beacon Adhesives, have a webpage that says what each of their products are good for. I read that back when I used to use fabri tac to line clips because they came apart. Fabri Tac is designed for fabric to fabric adhesion, not anything else. They have other products that say they are for fabric and metal that I have tried, but there isn't one better than double sided tape. I also use e6000 to line my clips sometimes(this works great on my resin clippies or bottlecap clippies). But I mainly use Specialty tapes to line my clips. I did use Tacky Tapes But I always had to put a dap of e6000 because wear and heat caused the back to come off.
Back to why I swear by Fabri Tac. It does not loose it's solvents for any reason that I've seen. I've left bottles in the car, outside, without a lid on at all, and the only thing I've noticed happen is it hardens over time without a lid. I sorta like the hardening because it is so watery at first. I use FT for anything fabric on fabric. I use it to hold my ribbon in place before I sew, hold pieces of a stacked bow together before I tie them off, really anything fabric that needs to be held in place while I do a more permanent fix/hold.
I hth you.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:32

1 more thing, I've tried the hot glue before, but it always comes apart eventually. And it's easy to pull them apart with very little pressure. I've bought bows for my girls at other boutiques and craft shows and any that have had hot glue, come apart within weeks. It may be the climate here, or the fact that my girls are hard on their bows, but hot glue never works well for me.
I've also tried the fabric glue sticks for a hot glue gun. They do work very good, but that are white and if any is showing, it's very visible.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39

I like the 60 watt Glue Gun by Surebonder. I feel like the watts make a difference. They have them at Michaels and I believe JoAnn also. I also like the three nozzle glue gun by Aleene for those hard to reach places.

Marcy
Old 09-20-2010, 03:58

Yes, double sided tape for clippies. I line my friends clippies and that is something u can prepare ahead of time then take with you anywhere!! then, hi temp glue gun is the best! After you burn your fingers a few times you get brave and faster!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:59

Hot glue all the way here and never had a problem!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24

I had a problem with my hot glue, my daughter demoished a clippie in seconds...to find out from some super smarty pants ladies here that it may have been either a) old glue or B) wrong type of hot glue and it was a case of little of the both...got the right hot glue and no issues...even a demolishin test from my daughter and the bow was left standing!!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:03

Nothings better than hotglue, love that stuff!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:04

I am a hot glue person. I have used it for tons of stuff - ribbon to ribbon, fabric to fabric, ribbon to metal, plastic to ribbon, plastic to fabric... well you get the picture. I have a 4 year old daughter who is TOUGH, ROUGH, and HARD on her things. They don't come apart. I have used a low temp glue gun in the past and did not have a problem with it. However, after I started selling things, I decided I needed to go with high temp just for the little bit of extra insurance it provides in my peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif