http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-13-2010, 09:00

Default Accused of copying and undercutting... (you'll laugh)

I put my boutique on Facebook...not 10 mins later got a message from an aquaintence (someone I met 15 yrs ago, and only see once every 6-7 yrs if that)...she wanted to know if I have been snooping her facebook (she was not a 'friend' and her last name has changed since she got married, whenever that was) cause she has been planning on opening a 'bowtique' and I stole her idea, lol! And she accused me of undercutting prices because she is charging $10+ for a bow and I charge $5-6...

It is kind of funny, we live an hour apart, I have not seen her in years, she lives in a huge city and there are already several bow makers and I can see she bows her supplies at Micheals (hence the higher prices)...

I just sent back a polite note that I have not heard of her in the past few years, congrats on her upcoming bow business (which she has not even unveiled yet) and left it at that.

The bow trend is just starting to hit our area so I am sure everyone is vying to be the 'first' and those who have not done their research would realize there are more sellars then they think.

Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2010, 09:16

Default Re: Accused of copying and undercutting... (you'll laugh)

That is rather funny. How in the world would you have known?!?! Good grief...lol.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17

Wow, she sounds pretty insane to think you stole her ideas.

I know before I decided to make bows and sell them, I didn't realize how man other people were doing the same thing out there. Now that I make them, I notice! I am not the only one in my area and I would never accuse someone of stealing my ideas. Almost everyone's ideas for bows, headbands, etc have already been done at some point. Sure, we may use our own ribbons coordinations and add feathers, bead, etc. but the bow designs are usually not ours. They would have to be really obviously unique for someone to accuse you. Really though, I would never accuse anyone of copying me!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42

I chalked it up to ignorance. But DH and i had a good laugh, he then wanted to know if I was going to 'friend' her on fb...right like I need that kind of drama in my life.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:27

Some people are seriously crazy!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:35

I kinda had this happen to me..
I had been making hair bows since 06, but I sold to the little "scene/emo" kids at the mall because I worked at MAC Cosmetics... I only made boutique type hair bows for my daughter then a lady asked me to make her daughter one and so forth and then I converted to hair bows for kids... I started my FB page a few months ago and this girl from about 20 min away started saying I was copying her and she didn't even know who I was ... it was a huge ordeal for her and I just replied to her and said why are you upset?? If you're so much better than me then you have no competition ... she no longer makes hair bows...
Old 09-13-2010, 05:38

So funny. Once I started bows EVERYONE started doing bows around here. I live in a small town of 3000, now there are 4 of us bow gals. There is nothing to get mad about, just some good competition. My bows usually speak for themselves. LOL
Old 09-13-2010, 05:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
So funny. Once I started bows EVERYONE started doing bows around here. I live in a small town of 3000, now there are 4 of us bow gals. There is nothing to get mad about, just some good competition. My bows usually speak for themselves. LOL
I completely agree... I did a very small local 4th of July show at our ball field and now there is 2 other women starting a bow business... I'm doing a show in Oct and there is 5 other bow vendors there my husband told me not to bother I told him they were great competition and that my hair bows spoke for themselves I've seen all these bow ladies work and they are quite boring... in this area people want over the top bows these days not a basic.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies