ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-07-2010, 10:55

Default Tips on painting initial bow holders?

I am wanting to do initial bow holders and name bow holders on a custom made basis. I live too far away from stores that sell the letters and I don't want to stock up a bunch of letters that I may never use. I was going to use round wooden plaques for the initial ones and rectangle plaques for full names. Does anyone have any tips on making the letters look nice and neat? I like the looks of ones like these:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55483231...ref=v1_other_1
I don't think I can freehand the letters and make it look nice. I'm afraid if I used a stencil and drew it on with a pencil that my pencil line will show through the paint. I made a stencil last night and traced it onto scrapbook paper and was going to modge podge it onto my painted plaque. Is there an easier way to do it? I wish I had a machine that would cut my letters.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 01:22

Default Re: Tips on painting initial bow holders?

I have had the same worries!!

I wish I was as talented as that chick!

So i'm not help. I'm here for support haha
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45

A good way to do them is with vinyl and a cutter. Paint the wood 1 color, let dry. You can use a stencil to paint in something, or use avinyl stencil so that the paint won't blead through(just make sure the 1st paint job isnn't laytex), or just use vinyl to decorate. It canbe simple like dots or elaborate. I have a 3" circle punch, a 1" circle punch and some scalloped edge scissors as well as a cricut that will all cut vinyl and make decorating items very easy. I have a ton of vinyl.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:33

I decoupage the letters and make bow holders out of that, but I recently had the idea to trace the letter with an exacto knife on scrapbook paper then decoupage the cut-out letter onto a piece of wood or canvas. That way it will be cheaper because I can use one letter over and over basically as a stencil then only have to buy the scrapbook paper. Hope that makes sense!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3girls123 View Post
A good way to do them is with vinyl and a cutter. Paint the wood 1 color, let dry. You can use a stencil to paint in something, or use avinyl stencil so that the paint won't blead through(just make sure the 1st paint job isnn't laytex), or just use vinyl to decorate. It canbe simple like dots or elaborate. I have a 3" circle punch, a 1" circle punch and some scalloped edge scissors as well as a cricut that will all cut vinyl and make decorating items very easy. I have a ton of vinyl.
I have a cricut and sure cuts a lot. Is it possible to use this to cut scrapbook paper to cover the wooden letters?

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58

I don't see why not, the color of the paper might change when adhereing it and the coating it with a sealant.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10

So, do I need a circuit to do this? I have a big kick, but it probably wouldn't cut vinyl. With the circuit do I need to buy fonts and such or does it come with them? I guess I need to do more research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3girls123 View Post
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51

I have been trying to figure this out also. I painted several plaques for family but was never satisfied with my lettering. We even checked on those "rub ons" but the letters are not very big. I don't really want to put vinyl on it but I am not sure what options I have besides that and painting. I don't have a cricut machine...and really don't need one for anything else that I do.

If anyone has any suggestions...that would be wonderful!!! I guess I could print out the letters and then do the tissue paper thing or cut a stencil for it.

TIA!

Christy
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.