http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-07-2010, 08:33

Default bottlecaps

How much does the supplies cost to make bottle caps? and what do i need in order to make them? TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54

Default Re: bottlecaps

I just made my first bottlecaps this weekend, and they turned out GREAT! I found a pack of plain bottlecaps in the scrapbooking section of my local craft store (Hobby Lobby) for around $6 (possibly less because my receipt doesn't specify the item with the price), and some printable sticker paper where you would find the printable iron transfers, etc. I used Microsoft Publisher to design and print the stickers. All together, the price for the materials was $10-$15. That includes six bottlecaps and several sheets of sticker paper.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyburgess View Post
I just made my first bottlecaps this weekend, and they turned out GREAT! I found a pack of plain bottlecaps in the scrapbooking section of my local craft store (Hobby Lobby) for around $6 (possibly less because my receipt doesn't specify the item with the price), and some printable sticker paper where you would find the printable iron transfers, etc. I used Microsoft Publisher to design and print the stickers. All together, the price for the materials was $10-$15. That includes six bottlecaps and several sheets of sticker paper.
did you use anything to seal the sticker onto the cap and make it glossy? i heard ppl use like some epoxy stuff or something idk. lol.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21

Here's what I use to make my bottlecaps-
Bottlecaps- I buy from destashes or group buys, if you don't want to wait that long look for some on etsy or ebay, also good if you don't want to buy a lot til you know you like to do them
I print the images off at walmart- 19 cents a sheet, plus tax
I bought the template for the images for $5 and make my own images, but I started with ones out of the free cycle section- gotta love HG
Then I punch them out with a one inch hole punch from the scrapbook section, not sure how much it cost cause I borrowed mine from a friend. If I had to guess I'd say about $10 unless it's on sale or you have a coupon
Them I glue them to the bottlecap with Modge Podge- I think about $4 or $5 without sale or coupon
Them I put EX Lite over the image (after the glue dries of course) which is $10.99 for the small box at Hobby Lobby, but I always use my coupon and I get like 600 hundreds of caps out of the one small thing, probably more but I haven't really counted.
Extra things you may need would be a measure cup for the resin ( I think you can get them from Sally Beauty for 99 cents each, you might want one for measuring the resin and another one for measuring the hardner). I use syringes from a friend who is a nurse. Also I use glitter Modge Podge on some of my girly images- I got mine on clearance for $2.50. You'll need little containers for mixing the resin in, I use little plastic togo cups from my job in a restaurant. Popcycle sticks for mixing. I use the really cheap kids paint brushes to put my Modge Pogde on with when I glue the images. I also put wax paper or newspaper down over my work area and you'll want a box to cover them until the resin cures enough so you don't get dust or hair in them. Oh yeah, I also have a lighter to pop bubbles in the resin. If I think of anything else I'll add it. I hope this helps
Old 09-08-2010, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymr View Post
Bottlecaps- I buy from destashes or group buys, if you don't want to wait that long look for some on etsy or ebay, also good if you don't want to buy a lot til you know you like to do them
I bought the template for the images for $5 and make my own images, but I started with ones out of the free cycle section- gotta love HG
Then I punch them out with a one inch hole punch from the scrapbook section, not sure how much it cost cause I borrowed mine from a friend. If I had to guess I'd say about $10 unless it's on sale or you have a coupon
Them I glue them to the bottlecap with Modge Podge- I think about $4 or $5 without sale or coupon
Them I put EX Lite over the image (after the glue dries of course) which is $10.99 for the small box at Hobby Lobby, but I always use my coupon and I get like 600 hundreds of caps out of the one small thing, probably more but I haven't really counted.
Extra things you may need would be a measure cup for the resin ( I think you can get them from Sally Beauty for 99 cents each, you might want one for measuring the resin and another one for measuring the hardner). I use syringes from a friend who is a nurse. Also I use glitter Modge Podge on some of my girly images- I got mine on clearance for $2.50. You'll need little containers for mixing the resin in, I use little plastic togo cups from my job in a restaurant. Popcycle sticks for mixing. I use the really cheap kids paint brushes to put my Modge Pogde on with when I glue the images. I also put wax paper or newspaper down over my work area and you'll want a box to cover them until the resin cures enough so you don't get dust or hair in them. Oh yeah, I also have a lighter to pop bubbles in the resin. If I think of anything else I'll add it. I hope this helps
That is the most detailed answer I have seen. THANKS!!! YOU ROCK!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:44

I basically do mine the same way as mistymr but instead of gluing them i use a xyron sticker maker i bought it on ebay for like 10.00 and refils at micheals cost about $4.00 w/40% off q and i skip the mod podge... no wait for triple drying time (glue,mod podge,et lite).

Oh i also dont use syringes or paintbrush i just buy the cups from the hg store and the sticks they offer (use the stick to mix & cover cap w/resin)

Mommy to Yasmin(10) , Daisy(4) Juan(3)
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymr View Post
WOW! Seems pricy to make them yourself unless you have coupons...can you buy the resin and modge podge or anyhing at wal mart? we dont have hobby lobby michaels or jo-anns here
Old 09-08-2010, 04:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz_yaz View Post
I basically do mine the same way as mistymr but instead of gluing them i use a xyron sticker maker i bought it on ebay for like 10.00 and refils at micheals cost about $4.00 w/40% off q and i skip the mod podge... no wait for triple drying time (glue,mod podge,et lite).

Oh i also dont use syringes or paintbrush i just buy the cups from the hg store and the sticks they offer (use the stick to mix & cover cap w/resin)
i was lookin at the xyron sticker maker at wal mart and its like $20 but that' be the easiest way to do them right
Old 09-08-2010, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_to_2 View Post
WOW! Seems pricy to make them yourself unless you have coupons...can you buy the resin and modge podge or anyhing at wal mart? we dont have hobby lobby michaels or jo-anns here

You can get Modge Podge at Walmart, but I haven't seen anything else there
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27

I like the sticker maker cause you skip 2 steps the gule & mod podge ...
you sticker and no need to wait for dry time then resin w/et lite make sure no bubbles are on your caps and give it about 24hs to fully dry

Mommy to Yasmin(10) , Daisy(4) Juan(3)
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.