http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-03-2010, 09:14

Question Tutu Suggestions! Helppppp!

Okay, I've only been in the biz since March, so I'm still pretty new at this...

This is the first tutu I've made specifically for someone. (it's actually my cousin's daughter!) Anyway, on to the point.

I asked her to measure her around her waist and from her waist down to where she wants it to hit on her leg, seeing as it is for ballet and I wanted to make sure it covered everything appropriately!

Her measurements were 20in on the waist about about 7-8in long. So, my question is, how long do I cut the tulle to make sure it is long enough? I knot my tutus, and I know that that makes it a bit shorter and if I make it full, it isn't going to lay straight down, so cutting 14in tulle isn't going to give me 7in down her leg!

So what do you guys think???

Sorry.... I'm long winded! haha
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 09-03-2010, 09:22

Default Re: Tutu Suggestions! Helppppp!

I add 2" to make up for that knot. If you want 7 in length I would cut 16 but that is just me. HTH
Old 09-03-2010, 09:26

I always add 2 inches after I double it to take into consideration the knot. Hope that makes sense

For waist I minus two inches to account for stretching of the elastic. So for the measurements you are talking about I would make the waist 18 inches, then make the tulle min 18 inches long. That seems awfully short to me though. How old is she? I just say that because you mentioned it's for ballet, which means I would assume she is at least a toddler? For my size two tutus I measure them at least 21 to 23 inches in length of each piece of tulle.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:44

See, the kid is like 6 or 7 I think. (I'm not 100% sure because it is a distant cousin and I RARELY see them!) And I was thinking to myself that the measurements sounded awfully small and short. I mean, don't get me wrong, she is kind of small and thin. But, I'm thinking I may leave it at 20 inches in the waist just incase. I'm afraid of it being too small. And I was thinking that I might make the tulle like 21 or 22 in.

I'm just thinking its gonna be too small!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
See, the kid is like 6 or 7 I think. (I'm not 100% sure because it is a distant cousin and I RARELY see them!) And I was thinking to myself that the measurements sounded awfully small and short. I mean, don't get me wrong, she is kind of small and thin. But, I'm thinking I may leave it at 20 inches in the waist just incase. I'm afraid of it being too small. And I was thinking that I might make the tulle like 21 or 22 in.

I'm just thinking its gonna be too small!!!!
i just made one for my dd today she just turned 5 and is VERY tiny. She has a 19" waist. She can wear about a 2T around her waist. She is longer than a 2 but she is short for her age. Put it this way she is in the 3rd percential for weight and height at the dr. I will post a pic so you can see. I cut the waist at 15.5-16 inches and ended up taking another inch or so off at the end. I cut the strips of tulle 26 inches to make it 12ish. HTH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0286.jpg (38.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlee-Ann1622 View Post
i just made one for my dd today she just turned 5 and is VERY tiny. She has a 19" waist. She can wear about a 2T around her waist. She is longer than a 2 but she is short for her age. Put it this way she is in the 3rd percential for weight and height at the dr. I will post a pic so you can see. I cut the waist at 15.5-16 inches and ended up taking another inch or so off at the end. I cut the strips of tulle 26 inches to make it 12ish. HTH

Okay, that helped a lot. (maybe I was wrong about the kids age, idk I've only seen the kid like... twice? lol) But I think I'm gonna trust her waist measurement and make my elastic 19in. But I think I'm gonna make the skirt a little longer, cause I'm so scared its gonna be too short. So I think I'm gonna cut the tulle like 20-22in.

I'm a hairdresser, so I'm always thinking like one. I can always cut more off, but it is a whole new ballgame to add more to it!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56

lol good analogy about being able to cut more off.

If it helps my daughter is 6 she is very thin, but tall. I made her tutu waist at 17 inches (remember the more tulle you add the more stretch to the elastic) and I had to take it in a bit more afterwards. The length for her was 28 or 29 I think.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies