New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-01-2010, 12:57

Red face Which dies cut felt best? Help!

Hi Everyone! I just got the Sizzix BigKick to cut out felt flowers. I only have one regular sizzix die so far & I love it! Since I'm hooked now, I've been looking online to order different shaped flower dies. There are SO many out there & I'm a little overwhelmed. Which ones do you guys prefer? I've searched thru threads & someone posted that Sizzlets don't work & Cuttlebugs work great. What about the larger Spellbinders or QuicKutz? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also, has anyone tried fusing fabric to felt to make flowers? Do you iron it on to the fabric 1st, then cut it & then iron that one on to the felt?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22

Default Re: Which dies cut felt best? Help!

i have a sizzix too and really like it. havent really had any trouble cutting felt and with the sizzix dies u can do up to 4 layers at a time. i do not put backing on it although i also cut a lot of fabric and do put an iron on stabilizer on it. sizzlits do not have a blade so will not cut felt. i have one quikutz and its not great. def. only one layer and you have to crank it thru 4 or 5 times. same with spellbinder although a little bit better. havent tried cuttlebug. hope that helps.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilibeanw View Post
Hi Everyone! I just got the Sizzix BigKick to cut out felt flowers. I only have one regular sizzix die so far & I love it! Since I'm hooked now, I've been looking online to order different shaped flower dies. There are SO many out there & I'm a little overwhelmed. Which ones do you guys prefer? I've searched thru threads & someone posted that Sizzlets don't work & Cuttlebugs work great. What about the larger Spellbinders or QuicKutz? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also, has anyone tried fusing fabric to felt to make flowers? Do you iron it on to the fabric 1st, then cut it & then iron that one on to the felt?

Thanks again!
I have a Sizzix Big Shot (basically same as yours - and absolutely love it). I've used, and liked, the Sizzix Originals & Spellbinders dies to cut felt. I have also successfully used the Sizzix Sizzlets to cut a sheet of felt. Yes, it worked. The only thing was that some of the edges of the die cut came out slightly fuzzy (not as crisp and clean as using other dies), so I just lightly trimmed with scissors where needed. Piece of cake. I've also cut fabric that I had ironed/fused onto a stabilizer (left as is - didn't fuse onto felt after that) - worked great!

A variety of dies will work with your machine. Have fun! I know I am

I wanted to clarify that I cut one sheet of felt at a time, so remember that when reading about my experience

Last edited by Krysia; 09-01-2010 at 12:34.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:51

Wow! I didn't know you could cut that many @ a time. Awesome! I'll be trying that tonight. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldwal View Post
i have a sizzix too and really like it. havent really had any trouble cutting felt and with the sizzix dies u can do up to 4 layers at a time. i do not put backing on it although i also cut a lot of fabric and do put an iron on stabilizer on it. sizzlits do not have a blade so will not cut felt. i have one quikutz and its not great. def. only one layer and you have to crank it thru 4 or 5 times. same with spellbinder although a little bit better. havent tried cuttlebug. hope that helps.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59

Thanks! Do you starch your felt 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
I have a Sizzix Big Shot (basically same as yours - and absolutely love it). I've used, and liked, the Sizzix Originals & Spellbinders dies to cut felt. I have also successfully used the Sizzix Sizzlets to cut a sheet of felt. Yes, it worked. The only thing was that some of the edges of the die cut came out slightly fuzzy (not as crisp and clean as using other dies), so I just lightly trimmed with scissors where needed. Piece of cake. I've also cut fabric that I had ironed/fused onto a stabilizer (left as is - didn't fuse onto felt after that) - worked great!

A variety of dies will work with your machine. Have fun! I know I am

I wanted to clarify that I cut one sheet of felt at a time, so remember that when reading about my experience
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04

I think I need to dump my Cricut for a Sizzix machine...I want to cut felt, but the cricut doesn't do it!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilibeanw View Post
Thanks! Do you starch your felt 1st?
No, I don't starch my felt. Never heard of that, actually I would think it would give a weird texture to the felt...And, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I use a 80% wool/ 20% rayon blend (I'm allergic to wool, so, I figure the blend will be slightly easier for me to work with than 100% wool).
Old 09-01-2010, 01:43

Agreed. The "originals" (they're labelled as such) cut the felt extremely well. Bigz also apparently cut well too. I like placing plain paper between the felt and the die--keeps the fuzz from getting stuck in there and extends the effectiveness of the die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saldwal View Post
Old 09-01-2010, 02:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloswhim View Post
...I like placing plain paper between the felt and the die--keeps the fuzz from getting stuck in there and extends the effectiveness of the die.
Great tip!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:05

I bought some nice cut felt flowers from a HG & she posted that she lightly starched her felt. I tried it both ways but it didn't seem to make a difference. Just wondering if I did something wrong )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
No, I don't starch my felt. Never heard of that, actually I would think it would give a weird texture to the felt...And, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I use a 80% wool/ 20% rayon blend (I'm allergic to wool, so, I figure the blend will be slightly easier for me to work with than 100% wool).
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.

Tags
cutting, dies, felt, fusible interfacing, sizzix