http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-30-2010, 09:30

Exclamation College Cheer Bows...HELP!

A friend of mine is on the cheer squad for UF and she wants me to make bows for the squad. She sent me a photo of their previous bows which I attached. I really don't know where to start. I want to to do something different then the ones from before. I want to it be prettier and with either the sequin looking fabric or rhinestones. If you have a great design idea PLEASE help me!

I have a few questions....

1. Can I hotfix rhinestones onto the ribbon and will it stay well?
2. Do I have to buy the sequin fabric and bond it to the ribbon or how do I do it?
3. Do you think korkers would look good with the bow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (58.7 KB, 221 views)
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 08-31-2010, 12:39

Default Re: College Cheer Bows...HELP!

What are their colors?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:45

UF is orange and royal blue. You do have to buy the sequin fabric and fuse it to ribbon. Not sure a college age girl would wear a korker?!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:00

"No bow no go" has an awesome tutorial that covers all your questions except for the one about the rhinestones. It's cheap and so worth it!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerandHoney View Post
"No bow no go" has an awesome tutorial that covers all your questions except for the one about the rhinestones. It's cheap and so worth it!
Ok I may just get it then. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBows View Post
I have a few questions....

1. Can I hotfix rhinestones onto the ribbon and will it stay well?
2. Do I have to buy the sequin fabric and bond it to the ribbon or how do I do it?
3. Do you think korkers would look good with the bow?
Hey BB,
Hotfix should stay well without a problem if done correctly and stored properly, but you may have better luck with the sequin fabric, it can be seen from a distance better while rhinestones may just look like tiny dots or not be seen at all.
Your best bet is to use heatnbond to bond the fabric to the ribbon. apply heat n bond, cut with rotary cutter to width of ribbon minus 1/16th to 1/8th, then bond to ribbon. It serves two purposes: good solid bond to ribbon plus stiffens bow so it doesn't look floppy and will hold up to tumbling and stunts.
Korkers.....I wouldn't if I were you, they are normally used for little girls, and most high school aged girls wouldn't be caught dead in them, I'd assume college is the same. You want a nice, crisp bow with tight lines, meaning evenly cut tails and no floppy loops.

I added a couple pics at the bottom, for a couple of ideas...like half orange/half blue? or a split of both? or blue ribbon with silver sequin layer with orange ribbon on top? or 2.25" blue grossgrain with 7/8" orange ribbon or sequin layer--not centered but layered at the uppermost edge of the blue ribbon? just brainstorming! I'm tired of making spankies today, can you tell??? LOL
Good luck, I hope they like your bows!!
Shelleigh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 078.jpg (43.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 079.jpg (48.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Blkhawkfan; 09-17-2010 at 09:23.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36

Yikes, those bows are scary looking! I bought the NBNG cheer bow tutorial after 7 tries of thinking "I can figure this out myself' Save yourself some time and buy it, it tells you everything about heat bonding the the sequin fabric etc.. I attached a picture of the first one I made after getting the tut. HTH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vv short tails.jpg (35.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 09-17-2010, 09:37

Thank you for such a helpful post! I made one the other night to test it out. I used 1.5" in orange with a 7/8" heat bond strip of the blue sequin fabric. It came out great and the captain approved them, but wanted the larger 2.25" ribbon. So I ordered a 50 yard roll, I have to make around 30 bows.

Now that I am picturing your ideas, I might have to try those! I could not find the orange sequin fabric in my last trip to Jo-anns, I think it may have been moved because of Halloween.

I am really liking the two pics you sent me, but how do you heat n bond the whole ribbon? Do they make head n bond that large? I only saw the rolls in 5.8", 7/8" ect. I may be getting in over my head trying that, plus it would increase my cost to have to buy more ribbon and fabric.

For some reason I can't bring myself to purchase a tut, so far everything I have tried I have been successful at!

Last edited by BriaBows; 09-17-2010 at 09:39.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBows View Post
Thank you for such a helpful post! I made one the other night to test it out. I used 1.5" in orange with a 7/8" heat bond strip of the blue sequin fabric. It came out great and the captain approved them, but wanted the larger 2.25" ribbon. So I ordered a 50 yard roll, I have to make around 30 bows.

Now that I am picturing your ideas, I might have to try those! I could not find the orange sequin fabric in my last trip to Jo-anns, I think it may have been moved because of Halloween.

I am really liking the two pics you sent me, but how do you heat n bond the whole ribbon? Do they make head n bond that large? I only saw the rolls in 5.8", 7/8" ect. I may be getting in over my head trying that, plus it would increase my cost to have to buy more ribbon and fabric.

For some reason I can't bring myself to purchase a tut, so far everything I have tried I have been successful at!
As for the heat n bond they have a large sheet rolled up that you measure and cut with a rotary cutter, so you can get the exact size you want!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:31

oh wow those are super cute I may have to try them for homecoming in a few weeks!

Last edited by AdriannasMommy; 09-17-2010 at 10:56. Reason: figured out the answer to my question :)
Sponsored Links