New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-27-2010, 03:35

Default Is this going to be as easy as it looks?

I love everything about this flower brooch, and I'd like to make one for myself. It looks like it would be super easy, but I'm afraid I must be missing something, because it's selling for $45. Is this just a case of good marketing? Anything obvious that I might be missing? The ugly truth is I'm not all that crafty--although I'd like to be--so missing something important is a real possibility for me. Give it to me straight, girls!

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 08-27-2010, 03:43

Default Re: Is this going to be as easy as it looks?

love it, it is very pretty and i am sure she is charging for her time and supplies that is what i do for my bows and if she is getting 45 for it that is awesome!

i don't know how to make flowers like this i have tried and failed and i am crafty lol, flower making is just not for me! i am sure that some of the other talented ladies can give you some advice though

veronica

*I will not tell you your UGLY bow is PRETTY but I will try to help you make it better..............wish someone would of told me my first bows were ugly. I do this out of love not wickedness *
Old 08-27-2010, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
I love everything about this flower brooch, and I'd like to make one for myself. It looks like it would be super easy, but I'm afraid I must be missing something, because it's selling for $45. Is this just a case of good marketing? Anything obvious that I might be missing? The ugly truth is I'm not all that crafty--although I'd like to be--so missing something important is a real possibility for me. Give it to me straight, girls!

Nope - it's as easy as it looks. A few circles & "flower petal" shaped pieces of fabric stuck together. I can't imagine charging $14.50 much less $45 for that!! Props to her if she can get people to pay that.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Tu-Tu* Cute Hair Bows View Post
love it, it is very pretty and i am sure she is charging for her time and supplies that is what i do for my bows and if she is getting 45 for it that is awesome!
True! I'm just hoping that I can make something similar without too much time or money going into it.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
True! I'm just hoping that I can make something similar without too much time or money going into it.
I'm obsessed with fabric flowers! I made this for pennies... cotton fabric (frey edges and sew the back in a large circular pattern with large stitches...then pull to bunch up the fabric and knot), organza (singe edges), sew together...I used Japanese glass beads. Glue a little piece of felt to the back of the flower and glue it onto a lined clip! Whaaalaa... Now go try one!

bows 031.jpg

Last edited by Positively Whimsy; 08-27-2010 at 06:58.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positively Whimsy View Post
I'm obsessed with fabric flowers! I made this for pennies... cotton fabric (frey edges and sew the back in a large circular pattern with large stitches...then pull to bunch up the fabric and knot), organza (singe edges), sew together...I used Japanese glass beads. Glue a little piece of felt to the back of the flower and glue it onto a lined clip! Whaaalaa... Now go try one!

Attachment 48280
do you use a template for the petal shapes?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
do you use a template for the petal shapes?
No template needed. Take a manilla file folder and just cut out shapes in different sizes (either cirles, flowers, etc)...this will serve as your template. The shapes do not have to be perfect b/c when you cut the fabric, you are going to fray it or singe it anyway, so it is not necessary to cut the shapes out perfectly. I love making these little guys! You can mix different types of fabric and shapes, and use different centers. To make the bottom gathered, sew large stitches on the bottom of the flower, then pull it and knot it. Play around with it to get the look that you want. Try one with the fabrics and colors that you like. I know you'll love what you come up with!

Last edited by Positively Whimsy; 08-27-2010 at 08:04. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2010, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positively Whimsy View Post

Attachment 48280
How cute is that?!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26

love that flower!!!

Im not sure I would pay $45 for that other one though
Old 08-27-2010, 11:14

The middle soft looking layer is panne velvet. It's super cheap and available in a lot of colors right now at Joann's for Halloween costumes.
Sponsored Links