Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE!

Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/)
-   How to make... (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-make/)
-   -   Dyeing ribbon (http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-make/59773-dyeing-ribbon.html)

flintb 08-25-2010 09:00

Dyeing ribbon
 
I'm sure it can be done successfully, but I don't want to mess up a bunch trying. Has anyone dyed ribbon before and have some tips. I live in a city that had to choose a really rare color, and they are quite proud of that. I need true Kelly green, not spruce, hunter, forest, emerald, etc. It's almost like a fresh grass color. Can I just buy Rite Dye or something similar and use it with white ribbon? Do I need to start with a green ribbon, like maybe apple or mint, and just get it darker until it's the color I need? So irritated and I can't find it anywhere. I ever bought some advertised as Kelly and it was Emerald. Please help.
Thanks,
Bonnie

blondie 08-25-2010 09:27

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
yes you can dye with rit but it could be really tricky to get that exact shade...lots of trial and error.

flintb 08-26-2010 04:56

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie (Post 686568)
yes you can dye with rit but it could be really tricky to get that exact shade...lots of trial and error.

Thanks, at least that is a start. I'm going to see if they have the color I need in the dye, otherwise I have to try to mix it. Ahhhh! Do you just use white ribbon?

Wednesday 08-26-2010 06:26

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
I kind of doubt that Ritt dye is going to give you the color you are hoping for on grosgrain ribbon since it is polyester. Ritt works best on natural fibers.

flintb 08-26-2010 06:42

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wednesday (Post 687646)
I kind of doubt that Ritt dye is going to give you the color you are hoping for on grosgrain ribbon since it is polyester. Ritt works best on natural fibers.

Is there another brand you would recommend?

blondie 08-26-2010 06:45

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flintb (Post 687546)
Thanks, at least that is a start. I'm going to see if they have the color I need in the dye, otherwise I have to try to mix it. Ahhhh! Do you just use white ribbon?

yes, white ribbon. there are tricks to using rit, i have had great luck with it. it just takes time and testing for me

Wednesday 08-26-2010 07:07

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flintb (Post 687657)
Is there another brand you would recommend?

My experience with dying is only with Ritt and it's only been on tshirts, socks, pillowcases, sheets, things like that. Usually if it has any polyester in the garment it comes out either an "off" color or it doesn't accept the dye at all. I try to only dye 100% cotton so I can be more certain of the results. Do some testing is what I'd recommend, perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised!

keep us updated!

edithisel 08-26-2010 08:13

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
I dyed tulle with food coloring and a teaspoon of white vinegar but i've never tried ribbon and i think you can wash it off with laundry detergent :smile:

TieDyesnButterflies 08-27-2010 06:34

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
I have not tried to dye ribbon yet, but I know from tie dyeing that your results will probaby depend on getting the right product for the right material. I don't use Ritt for tie dyes, I use Procion dyes and they are awesome! If you go to Dharma Trading Company's website & click on Dyes, once that page loads, click on the button for help choosing your dye, then you can click on what type of material you are using and see what they recommend. From there, I would just read what they have posted about each dye or pigment. (They list pros and cons so you can choose which product you think would be best for you.)


One thing to keep in mind about dyeing is that it is different from mixing paint colors. Paint colors are more like pigments, where dyes are more like mixing light. (if that makes sense) You can buy color wheels specifically for dyes that may help you obtain a specific color. You'll still have to test some because the hardness of your water (and anything else added to it) may affect your outcome a little too, but at least it will save you the some of the steps.


If it were me, I would probably try Jacquard's DyeNaFlow Silk Paints. They are a very thin consistency, more like that of dye than paint, but they would mix more like paint. Also, remember to wash whatever you dye first because it will take any sizing or other products out and prepare the material to receive the dye. Then set the paint or dye according to the manufacturer's instructions (some need to be heat set) Sorry to be so wordy, but I hope this helps! :)


Does anyone know what material the double ruffle ribbon is made out of? I'm thinking that dyeing that for a headband or hairclippie to match my tie dyed baby onesies & outfits would be really cute.

flintb 08-27-2010 05:48

Re: Dyeing ribbon
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TieDyesnButterflies (Post 688226)
I have not tried to dye ribbon yet, but I know from tie dyeing that your results will probaby depend on getting the right product for the right material. I don't use Ritt for tie dyes, I use Procion dyes and they are awesome! If you go to Dharma Trading Company's website & click on Dyes, once that page loads, click on the button for help choosing your dye, then you can click on what type of material you are using and see what they recommend. From there, I would just read what they have posted about each dye or pigment. (They list pros and cons so you can choose which product you think would be best for you.)


One thing to keep in mind about dyeing is that it is different from mixing paint colors. Paint colors are more like pigments, where dyes are more like mixing light. (if that makes sense) You can buy color wheels specifically for dyes that may help you obtain a specific color. You'll still have to test some because the hardness of your water (and anything else added to it) may affect your outcome a little too, but at least it will save you the some of the steps.


If it were me, I would probably try Jacquard's DyeNaFlow Silk Paints. They are a very thin consistency, more like that of dye than paint, but they would mix more like paint. Also, remember to wash whatever you dye first because it will take any sizing or other products out and prepare the material to receive the dye. Then set the paint or dye according to the manufacturer's instructions (some need to be heat set) Sorry to be so wordy, but I hope this helps! :)


Does anyone know what material the double ruffle ribbon is made out of? I'm thinking that dyeing that for a headband or hairclippie to match my tie dyed baby onesies & outfits would be really cute.

Thanks! I guess I will just have to try a couple things. I haven't had many requests yet, but it would be a huge plus if I can get this to come out right. I live in "little Chicago" even though no that lives elsewhere knows where that is or even if I say Northwest Indiana, I get looks. It's a smaller city trying to become a big one and alot of people live here and I know more will ask and I really want to be able to say "yes I can get you that really rare color." I'll check out the site and maybe Michael's will have something I can get locally. Good luck with the DRR, I'd guess it's a some type of blend. I've never used dyes before, but there's a first for everything, right?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger