hot pink wholesale
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-20-2010, 03:55
Default Re: Bow Making Lessons

Yes do not show anyone ur secrets. I don't sell my hairbows but I sometimes give them 2 my friends kid but will never do that again cause I give someone a pinwheel bow and then ask if I could do some more for them and would buy the supplys. I said yes told her what kind of ribbon 2 get next thing u know she posts on her fb that she is making hairbows and will sell them. I am so upset that it just made me start to think about selling my bows now. I saw them and they r not top quailty like the ones I see here. Sorry for the long story.

Last edited by minnie31546; 08-20-2010 at 06:48.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16

I completely agree with all the ladies on here. I have spent over $3000, countless hours (over a year) and many sleepless nights trying to research, practice and keep my cool just trying to make a stinkin stacked bow. I have had several ask me to teach them as well, and I will tell them to buy a tutorial or will tell them the best places to get ribbon (like a lot of the other ladies on here......). So, not to be mean in any way, shape or form, but those who rely on this as a business, not jsut a playdate, take it more seriously I guess.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:39

I make bows with 1 friend, I sale mine, she doesn't sale hers, she just makes hers for her little girls. I don't mind making them with her and sharing some tips but I don't share everything - just simple stuff. She is always telling her friends about me and my bows and she gets me a lot of business so I don't mind helping her out.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:58

Wish I'd seen this thread a year ago. I finally gave in and taught my 'best friend' how to make bows since I was always making her girls' bows for really cheap anyway. She'd come over all the time, asking questions or watching me and a few months later started her own business. She even had the gall to ask me to help set up her 'shop' in her basement. It's hard for me to swallow but I did because our daughters are best friends. Now I tell all the people who ask that the cost of supplies like ribbons and clips are so expensive that they're better off just buying something ready made. And it's the truth, if you go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's and buy all the different colored ribbons for the one bow plus the clips and glue sticks, you're out more money than if you'd bought it ready made.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:05

no no no no no.....I will not share any of my secrets with anybody including close friends. This is my business. I went through great lengths to learn how to make these on my own. If they are want to learn then they can get on the internet and find the information needed to get started. We have a lot of bow makers in my area and if I taught a bunch of people how to make bows then it would take away from my business as well as theirs. Some of these ladies have worked hard to get where they are. It wouldn't be fair.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:17

Hi, I've been following this forum for a long time now... I have gotten lots of ideas, information, and tips from ALL of you. I make my bows for my daughters and nieces. What drives me MAD is when out of the kindness of my heart I give someone a bow, and then some time later they ask to make them more and more. They don't even have the nerve to offer the supplies! I have had NUMEROUS of people do this kind of thing to me...

coworker who I have given FREE bows to tells me..."my daughter really wants a halloween bow,"
me: Awe, I don't have any halloween ribbon
her: well just throw something together that's orange and black
me: Gosh, I don't have those color ribbons either
(still not offerring to buy the ribbon)
her: Well, aren't you going to make your girls halloween bows
me: Um, maybe but right now I don't have extra money to buy ribbon but I think Target has some halloween ribbon for $1 in their dollar spot.
her: Nah, well if you do make them some, remember to make one for my girl k

True Story! Sorry I went and had a soap box moment but this has happened before with SEVERAL women! Or they want me to "personally" show them how to make them. I just say, well just go on the internet because that's how I learned. So do you think they stop asking after that??? Heck no! Ugh!

So, do it if it really comes from the goodness of your heart but I WOULD NOT DO IT!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:29

I would say sure I hold bow making classes for a price...

My day job is dog grooming and I cannot tell you how many times a week I have someone call and ask if I would teach them how to groom, cause they LOVE dogs...

It ticks my off for a numer of reasons, I went to school on the other side of the province and sacrificed time and money to learn, I have travelled all over North America goin to seminar, paying for private lessons, for me to teach means I would have to SLOW down and make LESS money so I could teach and not work making money....

So I made up some brochures from vistaprint and they are about my 'grooming classes', $250 per day, provide your own dog, your tool kit is around $1000 (cause you are not touching my pricey tools that have taken me years to afford).

I have had NOT one person take up the chance of me teaching them but I handle it professionally and nicely.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:55

That is too funny!! I think you just gave me an idea!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:03

I think it's a bit different if they are just friends/acquaintances asking to be taught versus a group of really close friends who regularly get together for crafting or other playdates. If it's the latter, I think I would find something similar that we could all learn together, but that didn't give away my trade secrets for what I was selling. There are tons of types of hair accessories and you don't HAVE to show them the ones you make.

I would say, something like, "It took me a lot of time and practice to figure out the basics when I was first learning and now it's a business for me that's a lot of hard work. It takes so much practice and I don't think we'd get very far. But I found this idea and it would be so much fun for us all to learn together!"

Then find a free tut for something you don't sell and use that for the playdate. You eat, drink, chat and learn a new craft all together--fun for all and you've not given away anything. The internet is open for any and all, so our secrets are pretty much out there to be found anyway. Some people are just better at executing an idea than others are. Have you ever looked at a bow and said, "Yeah, cute! I think I can do that!" and then you see another that takes your breath away. You can't teach someone how to do the second one even if you would try.

Like I told my daughters yesterday, "No, Mommy could not make that for you. That man is an artist!"
Sponsored Links