Free Instructions---------Free Instructions----------Free Instructions-----------Free Instructions.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/ribbon-korker-hair-bow-clip-instructions-sm.jpg
New Instructions--How to make braided/woven headband instruction
New Instructions--How to make hair bow gift basket
Free Hair Bow Instructions-Snail
Free Hair Bow Instructions--Christmas Tree
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/bee/bumble%20bee%20sm.jpg

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/rainbow-ribbon-dragonfly-hair-clips-free-tutorial/dragonfly-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-27-2008, 01:06

Default Crumpled Korker

I made very small korkers for my nieces for Easter.....They a little over 2 inches wide. I starched them well. But only used 12 or so pieces of ribbon. I didn't think I needed more. I hand sewed them. But by the end of the day from being pulled out they were all crumpled and looked like a mess. Does this happen with korkers? Or did I not put enough ribbon in them. I was so disappointed. Don't want to sell them on my etsy site if they will end up looking like these did. Any advice from all you pro's would be great. Here is the before picture.

Leslie
IMG_0705.jpg

Last edited by slmmm; 03-27-2008 at 01:49. Reason: size of korker
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02

Default Re: Crumpled Korker

an after pic would be helpful as well... hard to say what the ribbon is doing without it
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45

This is a before pict. And yes the korks all wrapped up around each other, it just totally lost it's shape, Sorry I don't have a pic. of the after. They live far away. Anyway I was just so bummed it looked terrible.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:28

Did they seem like the spiral was straightening out, or they were just tangled together? If the spiral wasn't tight enough you might want to use smaller dowels, or stiffen them with starch before working with them to help them keep their individual shape. Or its possible that you didn't let them bake long enough. If they stayed spirally, but got tangled together, they just need to be separated out and it should look as good as before! BTW it looks very cute in your before pic!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54

I had some straighten on me and what I figure out i did is I "pulled" them off the baking rods/dowels before they were cool. I made two batches that day and the not cooled ones lost their shape but the others kept it.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:01

When I make small korkers I usually use smaller dowels, I don't remeber th size but it is not the 5/18 its 1 something. Theres a post in this forum somewhere where the show the difference between the small and big dowel. But to keep the shape I use stiffen stuff and it holds it pretty well.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:14

Thanks for all the help. I think to salvage these I will really starch them hard when I am able to get my hands on them.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:06

When I first joined I was so ready to make korkers that I didn't want to leave the house to buy dowels. I went into the kitchen drawer and found some bamboo skewers that I never used and some 3/8 satin ribbon. They turned out very nice but only for tiny korker bows. If they are too long they droop.

If Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:29

It looks like you are using 3/8" ribbon. What size dowel are you using? For 3/8" ribbon I like to use 1/4" dowels. For smaller korkers (below 2.5 inches in diameter) I like to use narrower width ribbon - 1/4" - baked on 3/16" dowels. I use about 20-25 pieces and tie them instead of sewing. Sometimes the pieces still curl around each other but there are enough pieces that it still looks full; plus with the narrower ribbon and smaller dowels, they don't curl around each other so much as the wider ribbon. HTH

MichelleB
Old 04-03-2008, 06:49

Great tips...
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.