Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-18-2010, 02:45

Default Re: HELP! Empire Waist Tutu Dress

To make that dress, it is more elastic. Maybe you could tie it on a ribbon and then can tie a bow in back and tuck under the tulle, but not sure now you could ribbon wrap that since the measurements would be variable. I think you need to tell her that it's either more elastic (since that is what she would get if she ordered that dress from any one else) or a sash. If you did it on a ribbon, she'd have to accept that the spacing may be off, the ribbon may show, etc. because the knots can't be wrapped.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 08-18-2010, 04:42

Lightbulb Re: HELP! Empire Waist Tutu Dress

Some ppl use the crocheted headbands for tutus. If you're using elastic for the very top of the dress, here's an idea:

after knotting the top, put the tulle thru the crocheted headband, each section of tulle in its' own hole (like 1 above the other) and then knot them there.

OR

use a piece of the tulle, just kinda' bunched up, cut it as log as your other strips of tulle PLUS the waist measurement (I'd do it extra long, anyway, you can always trim it, right?). Use the middle portion as your waist (mark this, so you don't tie to the tulle that will hang down HOPEFULLY even with the rest of the dress).

After doing the top, tie to this piece of tulle. then you could tie that piece like an apron I guess. You could do it in a bow, but you'd have to take that into account when measuring.

I REALLY think the dress in the link is 2 rows of elastic, the waist is just ribbon wrapped. Not sure, but I think there's a tut someplace for ribbon wrapped tutus. Ask your client why she doesn't want the elastic; maybe y'all can figure something out.

I hope this wasn't too wordy and drawn-out. The tulle thing could really work.... I'd love to try it! LOL!!! Good luck, and please let us know what you do... pics would be great (of course)!

MK
Old 08-25-2010, 04:30

Thanks! I did the tulle thing! It worked great! She didn't want elastic because she was worried it'd stretch and then show gaps! I tried to talk her into it, but she really didn't want it.

After all of that she decided last minute (Literally as I was leaving to meet her for delivery!) that she wanted the sash!!

Any way, it turned out great! Trying to attach picture now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmedeal View Post
Some ppl use the crocheted headbands for tutus. If you're using elastic for the very top of the dress, here's an idea:

after knotting the top, put the tulle thru the crocheted headband, each section of tulle in its' own hole (like 1 above the other) and then knot them there.

OR

use a piece of the tulle, just kinda' bunched up, cut it as log as your other strips of tulle PLUS the waist measurement (I'd do it extra long, anyway, you can always trim it, right?). Use the middle portion as your waist (mark this, so you don't tie to the tulle that will hang down HOPEFULLY even with the rest of the dress).

After doing the top, tie to this piece of tulle. then you could tie that piece like an apron I guess. You could do it in a bow, but you'd have to take that into account when measuring.

I REALLY think the dress in the link is 2 rows of elastic, the waist is just ribbon wrapped. Not sure, but I think there's a tut someplace for ribbon wrapped tutus. Ask your client why she doesn't want the elastic; maybe y'all can figure something out.

I hope this wasn't too wordy and drawn-out. The tulle thing could really work.... I'd love to try it! LOL!!! Good luck, and please let us know what you do... pics would be great (of course)!

MK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110639.jpg (42.0 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg P1110638.jpg (44.4 KB, 352 views)
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52

hat is just sweet! I love that girls work from Etsy! OMG!! Just absolutely LOVE it and now wanna make one
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybasics View Post
Thanks! I did the tulle thing! It worked great! She didn't want elastic because she was worried it'd stretch and then show gaps! I tried to talk her into it, but she really didn't want it.

After all of that she decided last minute (Literally as I was leaving to meet her for delivery!) that she wanted the sash!!

Any way, it turned out great! Trying to attach picture now!

I'm glad that worked out. Your dresses are absolutely beautiful; good job!!! Thanks for sharing how they turned-out!

MK
Old 08-25-2010, 09:59

When you attached the gold ribbon, did you sew it? Or is it just tied? How does it stay put? It's GORGEOUS. Good job!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebugsdotcom View Post
When you attached the gold ribbon, did you sew it? Or is it just tied? How does it stay put? It's GORGEOUS. Good job!

I didn't sew it on. I tied the bow on one end of the ribbon and on the back of the end with the bow I added a snap, with the other side of the snap on the end of the ribbon. So it sort of attaches like a belt. I didn't take any pics of it, tho. I didn't think to. I knew that a lot of people have problems tying bows so they look "pretty", so I wanted to make sure they were able to keep the same look for the wedding. I think it worked out well.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybasics View Post
I didn't sew it on. I tied the bow on one end of the ribbon and on the back of the end with the bow I added a snap, with the other side of the snap on the end of the ribbon. So it sort of attaches like a belt. I didn't take any pics of it, tho. I didn't think to. I knew that a lot of people have problems tying bows so they look "pretty", so I wanted to make sure they were able to keep the same look for the wedding. I think it worked out well.

good idea! cant even tell! its beautiful!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:37

You had to get the measurements of the girl to make the sash the exact size around her chest right?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannasMommy View Post
good idea! cant even tell! its beautiful!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle View Post
You had to get the measurements of the girl to make the sash the exact size around her chest right?
Yes I did. I made the sash just a teeny bit bigger, tho. So she could sit and move comfortably since there wasn't elastic on the second row. I ended up being really lucky, because the infant mannequins and the toddler mannequins I have were the exact same size as the 2 little girls! I doubt that will ever happen again, but it worked out really well for this order. Thank goodness.