key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-16-2010, 09:03

Default Bottlecap confusion???

Hi everyone,
I have another question . I am trying bottle caps for the first time and Im a little confused on how to do it. I went and got some high gloss but Im not sure if its the right stuff. It is not any of the brands i could find that people said to use. I could not find the stuff when I was at Hobby Lobby and was not sure which section to look in.My other question is when you pay for images and you download them, how do you print them off with 4by6 paper? I thought they were made to this size but they are not and I cant shrink them or it will mess up the size. Since its downloaded as one image I think I might just have to buy 8 by 10 paper but if I have someone who wants one and just need one letter it seems like a waste of ink to print off all the letter. Let me know your thoughts. Also, do you gloss yours if yo use glossy photo paper? I think it would protect it. Ok I think thats all for now.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12

Default Re: Bottlecap confusion???

I havent made one yet, but i have heard people say that they send their images to walgreens to be printed. HTH
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16

Great question, haven't made any myself but looking forward to responses!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15

I haven't made any bottle cap bows yet. In fact I haven't made any bows yet, I'm just getting started.
I do however, make bottle cap earrings and pendants.
Here's what I do. I have a image program called GIMP that I downloaded free off the internet. I take and open my image in that program. There is a little figure that looks like a scalpel that is called a crop tool. I use that to crop my images. If I have a page of images I can use that to chose just one image or I take and cut the images that I don't want out then cut and paste the images I do want into one area of the paper.
If I am using a single image I then size it to 25mm.

Once I have the image printed on regular white card stock I cut it out then use modpodge to glue it into my bottle cap. I use Easy Cast resin on my bottle caps. This is stinky and better done in a garage or outside. Some people might not want to mess with this so there is and alternative available. Epoxy resin stickers are available at

http://www.etsy.com/

You can get bottle caps and images on there. If you are looking for images search for bottle cap collage images

Last edited by bronzfrog; 08-16-2010 at 12:21.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24

I buy sheet in the size of 4x6 from etsy or on here (it's cheaper to print 4X6 sheets). On here, you can just ask for what you need and the ladies will be more than happy to help. I download them to my computer and then upload them to Walgreens or Walmart (love walmart) and pick them up. I do this because if you print them on your computer, you have to seal them or the image will run. I punch them out using a 1 inch punch (can get from joann's or michael's). I then glue the image to the bottlecap using modge podge or an adhesive sticker (sheet are sold on here). Then I use resin to cover the image and seal it to the bottlecap. There is many other waus to seal it but resin is waterproof. Look through the threads on here, there are so many woman who do this (and much better than me).
Old 08-16-2010, 01:46

I use the ET Lite for my bottle caps. You can get it at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I always get the 40% off coupons on my receipt at Michaels and use that for my big purchases like the ET lite. At my HL it is on the glue isle (like where the hot glue guns, mod podge, etc.). It will be in a box. At Michaels it is also on the glue isle, but it is on the bottom shelf.

If you have bought the images you could just ask the seller if you could get them in a 4x6 sheet instead of the 8.5x11. I have done that for several of my customers, but they were wanting the 8.5x11 and not the 4x6. I use photoshop to crop and resize mine.

I use glossy paper on my printer at home, but before I punch out the image I put a piece of packing tape over my image, rub all the bubbles out of the tap and then punch it out. This ensures the ink is sealed and you wont have any colors run when you put the resin over your image. I use the Xyron sticker maker to attach my image to the bottle cap, but then I also put Mod Podge around the edges of my images just to be sure that no air gets under the image, as that will make it look wet when you pour the resin over it. HTH!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:55

I have never had any problem with the images running but then I do not use photo paper. I have had problems with the resin soaking into the paper when my image has a white background. So now I just seal the image, including the sides, with modpodge.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:43

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful ideas. I love the etsy stickers. I will deffinitly be trying the different approaches.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.