New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-15-2010, 01:52

Default Re: This is driving me crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsbymomma View Post
I use NBNG templates, you pull the ribbon off the template and separate by hand.
I separate off the template too.

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 08-15-2010, 02:25

I'm a little OCD, ok, quite a bit lol.

Not using the templates is just a goal, that's all.

I do use the BBM.

So ok, I use my template, and sew the middle (per instructions ya know), take it off the template and THEN I separate the loops?

What I don't understand is, once I sew the bow down the middle (when it's on the template), won't it be impossible to make the loops stay in the spot I want them to stay in once I take it off the template?

Are you all using starch to make them look curvy like the picture I posted?

I can make the bow, it's getting each of the loops to be curvy that I am struggling with.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabyz View Post
I'm a little OCD, ok, quite a bit lol.

Not using the templates is just a goal, that's all.

I do use the BBM.

So ok, I use my template, and sew the middle (per instructions ya know), take it off the template and THEN I separate the loops?

What I don't understand is, once I sew the bow down the middle (when it's on the template), won't it be impossible to make the loops stay in the spot I want them to stay in once I take it off the template?

Are you all using starch to make them look curvy like the picture I posted?

I can make the bow, it's getting each of the loops to be curvy that I am struggling with.
Are you using the twisted template? That one is different then the regular BBM, I believe.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32

Yes, I am using the twisted one. I have all the templates so far. Maybe I will take pictures of the steps I'm doing, and maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I go through the binder that I got, and it looks to me like I'm doing it right though.

Do you all starch the loops to make them curvy afterwards? Please please tell me!! Maybe that is what I need to do more of, starch?

I jsut don't see how they can stay curvy without a stiffener of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGeorgia View Post
Are you using the twisted template? That one is different then the regular BBM, I believe.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:35

Maybe me taking pictures of the steps I take isn't a good idea since I had to buy the templates?

Do you think she'd mind if I did it just to see if I'm doing something wrong?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabyz View Post
Yes, I am using the twisted one. I have all the templates so far. Maybe I will take pictures of the steps I'm doing, and maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I go through the binder that I got, and it looks to me like I'm doing it right though.

Do you all starch the loops to make them curvy afterwards? Please please tell me!! Maybe that is what I need to do more of, starch?

I jsut don't see how they can stay curvy without a stiffener of some kind.
I haven't used templates before so I'm not 100% positive, but I think the ladies are saying to remove the ribbon from the template, seperate the loops out and then sew. The exaggerated curvy part is achieved with the fold, not starching. Starching just helps it stay curvy.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:42

Oooooh, I see. Thanks.

I've i've been doing here and there is similar to that. I do the 1st part with the figure 8 on the template, sew the figure 8 with a stitch or 2 and then take it off the template and then finish the steps.

So I am doing that at times, but still they don't look right.

I think what I'll do is do one and then take a picture of where I sew the loops after I take it off the template and maybe i just need to angle the loops a bit differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess9737 View Post
I haven't used templates before so I'm not 100% positive, but I think the ladies are saying to remove the ribbon from the template, seperate the loops out and then sew. The exaggerated curvy part is achieved with the fold, not starching. Starching just helps it stay curvy.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:37

Ok, so which side would you use to be the front of the bow? lol

Usually I would use the picture labeled B (keep in mind that I usually just sew one line through it and not a couple of lines of stitches and pull the thread so it gathers).

Any tips on getting the curves in the loops?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TWISTEDA.jpg (40.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg TWISTEDB.jpg (40.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-15-2010, 04:28

Pic A is the front of your bow and your loops look pretty good. A tad uneven maybe, but the advice I would give you is to make the "x" still more extreme. So the part of the ribbon that crosses to make an "x" in pic A could still be make more extreme. Then when you go to crease the fold, I use a "m" type crease. You know, you fold in 3 little bumps.
I'm terrible at explaining things so this might not even make sense, lol!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:49

1. Welll, that must be a big part of the problem, I was using the wrong side as the front of the bow.

2. So you said to make the "X" more extreme, you mean "wider" so it looks a bit funny? lol Stretch it apart, I'm sure.

3. I still get mixed up on what fold and crease mean (when I use BBM I "fold" my ribbon in half, and make a "crease" mark so I know both ends are the same length, is that what you mean?

4. I guess I don't know what you mean by the words I highlighted in red below, please explain if you would? But...I DO know what you mean by an "M" type crease. Go figure lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess9737 View Post
Pic A is the front of your bow and your loops look pretty good. A tad uneven maybe, but the advice I would give you is to make the "x" still more extreme. So the part of the ribbon that crosses to make an "x" in pic A could still be make more extreme. Then when you go to crease the fold, I use a "m" type crease. You know, you fold in 3 little bumps.
I'm terrible at explaining things so this might not even make sense, lol!
Sponsored Links