http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-09-2010, 10:31

Default What do I need?

Hi everybody! I have been lurking for about a week and I am going to start making bows now. I want to go the craft store and buy EVERYTHING I need or may need so I won't have to make multiple trips and have to drag along my baby.

So, what do I need in my bow making kit? I bought 1 3/4in alligator clips, 3/8" solid and dot ribbon, and 5/8" ribbon and I have a little cheap hot glue gun.

Should I get barrette clips?, bigger clips?, a better glue gun?, bigger ribbon? and what kind of thread/string?
I also want to put swarovski crystals on some of my bows so how would I go about doing that? hot fix or glue?

I appreciate any help you can give me! I'm really excited to get started.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44

Default Re: What do I need?

Sounds like you have a good start. Make sure your glue gun is a high temp and the glue sticks you're using are for metal. It'll say it on the package.

How are you tying the bows? needle thread? Wire? Elastic thread? Many different options, I sew all mine but that's not the only way.

Get a candle lighter or BBQ lighters they're great for sealing the ends.

Alligator clips work great, little snap clips are nice too for babies.

As for the crystals - don't have a lot of advice. Gemtac or E6000 works well, I don't have hotfix but I know several ladies on here do. If they're for a baby or small toddler you may want to be careful because if they can pull it out and get it into their mouth the stones could come off and swallowed. The swaroski crystals do contain lead.

A good pair of scissors. I can't stress this enough because I had no idea when I started how bad my scissors were until I bought a good pair of Gingher. Great use of the coupons from Joann's or Hobby Lobby!

Depending on what size of bows you're wanting to make would depending on the ribbon size. Definitely browse the how to thread to see if you like a certain style. I would recommend starting on grosgrain. Satin and sheer can be hard to work with starting out depending on the style of bow.

Good luck!!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53

ditto PP...
can't stress the importance of a good glue gun with a fine tip and a great pair of scissors... and lots and lots of practice

good luck
Old 08-09-2010, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
Sounds like you have a good start. Make sure your glue gun is a high temp and the glue sticks you're using are for metal. It'll say it on the package.

How are you tying the bows? needle thread? Wire? Elastic thread? Many different options, I sew all mine but that's not the only way.

Get a candle lighter or BBQ lighters they're great for sealing the ends.

Alligator clips work great, little snap clips are nice too for babies.

As for the crystals - don't have a lot of advice. Gemtac or E6000 works well, I don't have hotfix but I know several ladies on here do. If they're for a baby or small toddler you may want to be careful because if they can pull it out and get it into their mouth the stones could come off and swallowed. The swaroski crystals do contain lead.

A good pair of scissors. I can't stress this enough because I had no idea when I started how bad my scissors were until I bought a good pair of Gingher. Great use of the coupons from Joann's or Hobby Lobby!

Depending on what size of bows you're wanting to make would depending on the ribbon size. Definitely browse the how to thread to see if you like a certain style. I would recommend starting on grosgrain. Satin and sheer can be hard to work with starting out depending on the style of bow.

Good luck!!
Wow, so glad you said that! I had no idea.

Thanks for all the great advice. I have a 40% off one item coupon for Michael's so I will save that for the scissors or maybe a new glue gun.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:22

No matter how much supplies you buy you will constantly find yourself wanting more. Especially being here on this forum...all the GB and destashing...you'll soon find yourself with supplies to the ceiling.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:37

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/how-m...arter-kit.html
Old 08-09-2010, 11:54

Tell me about it, just starting too and I think I have purchased most of my supplies through the ladies on here. I have more coming in so I should have enough to last me a year of making bows. The only thing I will have to purchase is a new glue gun with fine point (good suggestion) also some e-6000 glue ( I think thats what its called). and I learned on here that some of you use Duck it on your clips. Even found my clips and flowers here. Now to find the time to start. Enjoy yourself!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfriday View Post
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.