http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-18-2007, 09:26

Default Type of Ribbon Important?

hi -
i am very inexperienced at making bows, but am ready to try!! now, sites mention grossgrain? ribbon alot - what is this, and why is it so popular? cant you just use any type of ribbon? like i saw some cute 99cent rolls of halloween ribbon at walmart in the craft section - could i use that?

thanks, wendy
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34

You can use any kind of ribbon you want. I guess grosgrain is just the standard. You can also mix and match kinds of ribbons in a bow.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:04

Some ribbon will be stiffer and thicker than others. I think it is just a preference thing!! Its great to mix and match. You will find out what you like as you start making more bows.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:25

thanks so much everyone - i really appreciate the beginners advice!!! i have been mixing some ribbons - thanks!!
Old 05-16-2009, 03:41

Default Re: Type of Ribbon Important?

This helped me, too. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 04:25

Grosgrain is what is usually used when making hairbows. It's the "standard" ribbon. This ribbon is a stiffer/thicker ribbon. It almost has a ribbed appearance. Other types of ribbon are:
satin-slick texture
organza-sheer ribbon
woven-has the same pattern on front and back.

I pretty much only use grosgrain to make bows. Most all bows you see are basically grosgrain.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:27

You can use the cute printed satin ones doubled with grosgrain and it looks really cute. JMO
Old 05-16-2009, 04:37

Sorry to tag on here, new to this as well but loved my first experiment! Had a question, how do you get the ribbon to curl in a spiral, is there some product you put on? Also, how to you keep the edges from fraying? Thank you so much!! [email protected]
Old 05-16-2009, 05:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyann01 View Post
Sorry to tag on here, new to this as well but loved my first experiment! Had a question, how do you get the ribbon to curl in a spiral, is there some product you put on? Also, how to you keep the edges from fraying? Thank you so much!! [email protected]
The spiral ribbons are called korkers. They are super simple to make. I know I've seen free instructions. Let me check around and I'll post them when I find them. Also as far as keeping the ends from fraying, I just use a lighter and lightly brush the ends so that they kinda "melt" a little. Just be sure not to hold the ribbon to the flame too much or you will end up with thick looking ends and possibly discolored ends (like brown) on the ends.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:04

Here's one website that has instructions on making korkers. It doesn't have pictures, but the instructions are there. This site also has many, many other excellent tutorials. HTH!
Free Korker Hair Bow Instructions: hairbow free directions, hair bow business work at home
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.